Talking about drugs...

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
Well, I'd say the first step would be to establish a better line of communication between you and him. If he doesn't want to listen to you, it won't matter what the subject is, or how you approach it.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
You don't say specifically what you want to talk about, but even if it's just general education, I would agree with Wickett - you need an open communication channel and a basis of trust, or you will be wasting your breath.

Beyond that, I would say stick to the fact. Remember that he can look up stuff on the internet, so don't go down the exaggerated scare-mongering route (eg. You will die if you try it!) Drugs are quite scary enough without any exaggeration, so don't give him room to call what you say "parental hysteria".

Wickett

Community Admin
Aug 1, 2014
East Central U.S.
singledad said:
You don't say specifically what you want to talk about, but even if it's just general education, I would agree with Wickett - you need an open communication channel and a basis of trust, or you will be wasting your breath.

Beyond that, I would say stick to the fact. Remember that he can look up stuff on the internet, so don't go down the exaggerated scare-mongering route (eg. You will die if you try it!) Drugs are quite scary enough without any exaggeration, so don't give him room to call what you say "parental hysteria".
Completely agree. Hysteria isn't what he will need right now. An understanding and sound minded parent is.