Technology's supportive role in parenting...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<r>A few weeks ago, we asked you to tell us <URL url="</s>what role technology plays in your parenting<e></e></URL>. And based on the responses, it's quite clear that children are as technologically savvy as their parents. With iPhones, iPods, and iPads, not to mention laptops and desktops, children are literally surrounded by technology of all kinds. Is it any wonder that they can maneuver around today's devices as if they were born with one in their hands? <br/>
<br/>
Children are being introduced to technology at a younger age than ever before. The positive to that is that there are a lot of great learning tools and apps out there for young minds that are in their learning prime. Instead of parents using television to entertain their children, they are now placing them in front of a different type of screen, one where anything is possible. With a few strokes of the computer keyboard, children can learn about a new country or how to sing their ABCs.<br/>
<br/>
While it is evident that technology is playing a big role in young children’s lives today, there is one tool that parents are finding priceless. A child’s education is always of the upmost importance to a parent, and schools have found a way to make sure parents have almost 24-hour access to their children’s grades. What this means for parents is that they no longer have to wait between each six-week interval to find out whether or not their child is succeeding. Now seeing where their child is at is as easy as a inputting a password and logging in. This may not be so great for kids, but it's very effective in keeping parents informed so that they can make the best choices for their children.<br/>
<br/>
As with anything, there are negatives. How much is too much is a question often asked by parents. The truth is, as with many other things in life, moderation is the key. If computers are used in conjunction with hands-on parenting, the amount of time in front a screen can be a rewarding learning experience.</r>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I think another positive from the kids side is that discipline can be shorter. If Cole lets his grades drop to a point some of his privileges will be restricted. But on the day his grade returns to an accepted level he can regain his lost privilege.

I also think it makes displine more effective. Where he would have had to wait for the next report card. Lets face it 6 wks is a lifetime for a kid. When the goal is placed so far away they lose their momentum or focus. But when they see how close they are and that the changes are occurring in real time it not only keeps them motivated. But serves to keeps attention on the cause of the restriction.

Just my 2 cents

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I agree bssage. I never did ground mine for the full 6 weeks but I was cutting it short on blind faith...they never let me down, but it's nice to see the progress and not rely on the kids and hoping the are telling the truth.

roblowe

Mar 13, 2012
To save money on buying a dictionary, here is a free dictionary toolbar that might be handy for kids.
http://luosinstantdictionary.ourtoolbar.com/

Instant word lookup without opening a dictionary or going to a dictionary website. Show the meaning of a word on a web page when it is clicked and highlighted!

EagleFM

Apr 14, 2012
Nothing beats having more information about normal child development in your hands! A great app I found was this app called the Child Development Guide. I wanted to see when my child would start talking. This app is great. Not only does it predict this, it predicts countless other events. From rolling, to crawling, to walking, to saying their first words to knowing their colors. Its a great way to track your childs development and make sure they are on track! Hope this helps!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/child-development-guide/id516545242?mt=8[/url]

arcticfox

Apr 14, 2012
Chardon, Ohio
One site my family enjoys is http://www.logmypoints.com . It's the classic chore list that we all checked off/put stickers on growing up, except it's online. I like it because it teaches a couple of cool things.

First, children are fairly clueless as to what it takes to keep a house up and running. The site allows you to list out all the chores you do every day & delegate to specific family members. Everything that gets done is right there in front of their noses.

Second, it's a game, so there are points earned for each chore completed. When a chore is done and the child checks it off, no one else can check off that chore. It's cool in that it creates a sense of urgency to get things done.

Third, and most important, it has taught my 8 year old boy to prioritize and even make tough decisions! (I could cash in my points today and get a $10.00 Gift card, but if I wait and get more points, I can save up and get the $20.00 gift card to ...). Very gratifying as a parent to experience moments like that.