Teens and harsh language in lyrics/literature...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
In High school, the teachers expected us to be mature enough to handle harsh language. Not that we weren't able to handle it in Junior High, but, you know, the teachers just wanted to keep their jobs. Since, Canadian schools are multicultural and try to be sensitive to all students, there are a few awesome teachers that will just apologize beforehand and tell you that they're not censoring any literature, lyric, poem, movie, anything, except, of course, the teachers own views. This is to preserve the era and the mood of the subject. Don't like it? Too bad. You can leave.

With my daughter who loves to sing and is moving on to more mature media content, she apologized if I ever heard her repeat the foul language in her music. I didn't ask her to apologize, she did that herself. I, actually, didn't even notice until she said something. But it got me thinking back to High school, and I just told her that I really don't care if she uses harsh language while singing and reading aloud. I just don't want her to make it a habit of it, so no swearing when talking normally. My mom would have a kitten if she heard her innocent granddaughter mutter the 'F' word.

My reasoning is this:
She's already listening to it/reading it, and I know she swears when chatting to her friends online and when she's vent drawing/writing.
And, it's been interesting to have conversations with her about what makes a certain words so taboo. It's allowing the gears in her brain to process reasons in ways I don't think completely censored kids would ever be allowed to. And, lastly, it's very seldom she even uses those words when singing it, anyways.

Other than just the typical swears, there's the slang racial slurs. Now, this is where it gets dicey. Thankfully, much of her music is far enough from rap and hip/hop that I don't have to worry about it, so much, but it can come up. I've already talked to her about the 'N' word and since being enlightened she is very cautious about it and, because her dad's mouth has no filters, she's humorously lectured her dad about saying such words.
That is pretty much where we draw the line.

I guess the point of all this is just wanting to get everyone's thoughts on this. What are your unique ways on handling your kids being exposed to explicit language.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
My view is very simple. Swearing is rude. Its OK within certain context or company, but not in public, not at school, not at home. Its nothing 'grown up' or 'cool' about it. And its not neccessery what you hear from other people