Teens on social networks....

yuvaldim

Oct 29, 2013
Hi all.
My kids are pretty young but when I see friend's kids, I'm simply lost.
Which social networks do your kids currently use (if you know at all :confused: ) and at which age did they start using each?

Did you onboard them on to them, or did you simply discover they were on it?

Do you have any concernes with them?

Many thanks.

Yuval

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I can't quite remember ages for everyone but between the older three there is facebook, tumblr, pinterest and that stupid snapchat thing that has caused my 14yr old to take pictures of her feet/food/every single little thing she sees, every single place we go. Because I am sure that her best friend will die if she doesn't see what shoes Sunny is wearing that day, or what her glass of water looks like.
In the past there was myspace, but I believe that is terribly 'uncool' now.

I usually get shown things, mostly pictures of cats on various social media sites, which is how I find out.

Until they give me a reason to be concerned, then I won't be. I've said it many times, but I don't think that social media is a big bad wolf lurking around the corner, I use it and manage not to get myself into any trouble, there really is no reason as to why they can't do the same.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
ellie has facebook but thats it she got it last year she has me as a friend on it and I see ervtyhing and im not really worried she only has friends from school and family on it I have looked at her friends list and its just people she knows so no I don't have any concearns

Emily92

PF Regular
Mar 20, 2014
My sister's daughter (she just turned 14) is active on facebook since the past 2-3 years and her mum knows all about it. The good thing is the girl has always been very open when it comes to social media and shares everything with her mum. And though my sis doesn't exactly keep tabs on her daughter, since she is herself active on facebook, so she knows pretty well what all is going on. I feel there is no harm in teens using social media since they are at that gregarious age when they love to socialize, both online and offline. The only thing that needs to be kept in mind is that the child in question shouldn't go overboard and spend so much time on social media that his studies and other activities start getting affected as a result of the same.

bobspock100

Banned
Jan 10, 2015
amsterdam, netherlands
I agree that social media is cool for the kids. but do attempt to keep them safe from what we all know they need to be safe from. it seems to me that if they are free enough around the home environment to express themselves, them they don't have to do it behind your back on computer.