the dreaded dentist...

momtoallkids

PF Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2012
agawam,ma
i just want to say how proud i am of my step- son. he absolutly hates the dentist. last time it took 4 people just to hold him down for a cleaning. not this time though. this time he took it like a pro and did magnificent!he has some serious anxiety issues as part of his ad/hd and bipolar so this is a really big deal. not only did he get through it without totally freaking out but he did it without injuring anyone either.
we rushed him to the dentist when he wouldnt eat breakfast because he thought he broke a tooth and it was too painful. (as it turns out it didnt break it just fell out) after doing x-rays and a cleaning i was thrilled to find out that all his baby teeth are officially out however they discovered a cavity. so because he was already there they decided to fill it on the spot.he stared to freak a little and really didnt want to do it. i told him he had no choice. nature gave him a second chance(his baby teeth were aweful) and this time he cant just let it go. i requested that they gas him for it as a means to keep him calm which they had no issue with. the dr pulled me aside to give me the details because he didnt want to scare luke but i ended up being totally honest with him and explaining everything as they went along. when he found out the size of the needle they would have to use he let out a quick shreek that scared the daylights out of the assistant(that sent me into a fit of laughter). after that quick outburst it was smooth sailing. at first they had called in backup incase they had to hold him down but i had a feeling that he would have lost it to feel gloved hands on him so i refused to let anyone but me touch him. he held both my hands while i watched his heartrate on the little monitor. he didnt move an inch. no kicking his feet nothing. it was amazing. he told me that it was all me because i talked him through the whole time but he did all the hardwork. he listened and regulated his breathing. we successfully managed to keep his heart rate low enough to actually continue (something about the gas if the heartrate goes too high they cant do the procedure) he did great. only thing he wasnt happy about is that he cant have crutons on his salad for a while.
i was shocked. he has never done this well. even his physicals are usually a disaster. i am so proud to see that all his hard work with trying to control his impulses is finally paying off. as a reward for his awesomeness he got to go out for icecream and sleep in our room(which was good cuz he was on a new sleep med anyway)
ill tell you what though, being at the dentist with him made me feel so old. they dont use the silver fillings anymore nor do they use actual drills. they were pulling out gadgets ive never seen before that did some really cool things like this blacklight gun thing that i guess cures the stuff that they use for fillings as well as killing any bacteria around the tooth. they didnt have that stuff when i was a kid. as for the drills, now they use like a water jet and a little nub thing to dig out the cavity. its amazing how things change in just a few years.