The everybody else debate....

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I am sure every parent alive has heard that everybody else is allowed to ...
Where so you draw the line? All parents have somethings that are totally non negotiable but it is important to have some wiggle room as well.

I let my niece see a film that was in hindsight prolly a bit too old for her age after hearing this. It turned out some of her friends were not allowed to see it at all. So I feel like I should have stuck to my guns a little more.

When you hear all about everyone else do you say too bad? Just go with the flow? or ask around their friends parents?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I don't ask anyone ever! Yeah!

I let my son watch Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark over the weekend. He gets this Lego magazine in the mail once a month, and now they are featuring Indiana Jones legos...so of course he wanted to see the movie once I told him about it.

There's a lot more killing than I remember, but it's not too serious...so I'm not regreting anything. He seemed more than able to handle it. I thought he'd be scared by the ending scene with the angels from the ark, but he did okay.

This was his first big kid movie.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I think it is a go with the flow thing. If it's something you feel is totally inappropriate, then stick to your guns!!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
If I question the movie in anyway I watch it first. Them depending we'll watch it together so I can explain anything out of realm. My parents let us watch ANYTHING. I just explained G and PG to my 4yo old after she told me about a movie where a woman had siccors thru her face. Awesome.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
What is "prolly"??? I think children learn from example first and foremost. If they see something inappropriate then hopefully they were raised to know better. Just because a kid see's someone smoking crack doesn't mean they are going to do it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oh..I never heard that. I don't get it. Is it hard to find the b on the keyboard??? lmbo

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I dont get why thats funny. I didnt originally type that here but I do in text messaging. Prolly is slang like em for them. I love text messaging.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I simply don't fall for the "everybody else" argument. I have standards and limits, and those stay consistent, period. My response to "but everybody else is....." has always been "I'm not raising everybody else, am I?" Any movies or television shows I'm not sure of have to be screened first.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
1dayatatime said:
I dont get why thats funny. I didnt originally type that here but I do in text messaging. Prolly is slang like em for them. I love text messaging.
I text and I have yet to use that term. No big deal if you do. To each their own. It just sounded like something a 6th grader or something would say. Kind of like "you might be a redneck if......"
Right-cher (right here)
dunno (don't know)
fixin (about to) I've said that.I'm in the south.;)

superdad99

Nov 7, 2007
We usually try to draw our own lines based on our value system. Really this theory applies to most of our decisions, not just about parenting.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Teresa said:
I simply don't fall for the "everybody else" argument. I have standards and limits, and those stay consistent, period. My response to "but everybody else is....." has always been "I'm not raising everybody else, am I?" Any movies or television shows I'm not sure of have to be screened first.
I was raised with the I m not raising everyone else line. I hated it LOL
To be honest when in doubt I occasionally trot this out. If for no other reason to make it clear that I am in charge. But I also get that nobody wants to be the only kid not allowed to do something. But screening before hand then making a decision is prolly better.
MM I use prolly because I am lazy

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I've heard that about Bratz dolls (everyone else gets to have Bratz) from one of my daughters. I just told her why I don't allow Bratz and she understood and that was the end of it. I ama little overprotective- I screen films and shows before I let my kids watch them however I have let them see things other parents might not (certain musicals like Grease). Anyhow I find that if I am honest about why I object my girls may not agree with my decision but they at least understand why I made it.