The hardest test ever...

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
jgomez65 said:
True story. I wonder how many fathers feel the same as I did..
For me .. my experience as a single father was the stares... the comments, the murmurs .. and the stereotyping that the mother must be a drug addict or a whore... that I must have really destroyed her in court with evil... how could a man be a single father.. how could I take this little girl from her mother .. how dare I ..

Yet no one could admit that maybe the mother elected me to be the full time parent because she wasnt in a place in life to offer the child what she wanted... it was always about how bad man took child from mom

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
<r><QUOTE author="hwnorth;36699"><s>
hwnorth said:
</s>For me .. my experience as a single father was the stares... the comments, the murmurs .. and the stereotyping that the mother must be a drug addict or a whore... that I must have really destroyed her in court with evil... how could a man be a single father.. how could I take this little girl from her mother .. how dare I .. <br/>
<br/>
Yet no one could admit that maybe the mother elected me to be the full time parent because she wasnt in a place in life to offer the child what she wanted... it was always about how bad man took child from mom<e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Let me tell you a little story, which supports what you said about how society stereotypes single fathers.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;A couple of years ago I had a case (I am a social worker) where a single father with 4 children was able to do an amazing job managing his family life and provide for his children even if he was working on a low paying job.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;He was able to get subsidized (free) day care for his children. He applied and obtained food stamps and Medicaid for all his kids. He arranged for a church lady to pick up their children every Sunday and take them to church, so he would have some time to do the house shores, and so on… He effectively used every resource available or offered to him.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The consensus, even among my co-workers and other professionals; was that this man was a slick con artist who would trick anyone into helping him and would use the system to his personal gain.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;On the other hand, the same people would complain during case consultation meetings when one of the single mothers they were working with would not do anything or apply for any services in order to provide a better life for their children.&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Double standard? You bet!&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;