The Truth About the Out of Control 21 Year Old...

VTC102

Nov 22, 2008
Hi. For those who thought that my last post was a sham, it was. I am actually the daughter who is going through all that chaos I had previously written about. I am truly sorry for upsetting everyone.

My plan was not to be deceitful. I wrote that post in my parents' perspective in hopes to gain an understanding of what other parents would think of it. I don't believe that I exaggerated my parents view of me. Most if not all of what I had written, are direct quotations of what my parents had said to me.

My goal was to know if I should move out. My parents have threatened to disown me three times already. What I had meant by disowning is: they won't consider me their daughter anymore, my dad said that he does not want me at his deathbed, they won't ever visit me, they don't want me to visit them, they will tell all their friends that I am dead to them, they will no longer acknowledge my existence.

Although those are very hurtful things that they have said to me, I have forgiven them but I have not forgotten what they've said. I try to convince myself that they only said those things in the heat of the moment when they were really upset. But they have threatened to disown me so many times that I have become to believe that they do truly mean it.

I want to move out and live with my fiance but I know that by doing that I would lose my parents. Even though, some people may believe that they are terrible parents for having such conditional love, they are still my parents whom I love very much despite their faults. Thus, I have this internal turmoil of what I should do.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am very sorry for upsetting everyone in the last post. I hope you can understand what my true goal and purpose was.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
If the viewpoint you've portrayed in that thread is indeed the one your parents hold, then I can barely believe you haven't left already.

If they're so selfish that they can only have you to themselves or they don't want you at all, if their love is as conditional as you've described it, if they are stuck in the dark ages as they sound... I can barely believe that you even need to ask and can only think that you must really love them despite their faults.

At some point you're going to have to start living your own life, whether they want you to or not. It's sad, but if they can't accept that and accept you for who you are, then you're better off giving them their space.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You didn't upset me, you just made me roll my eyes. I don't like people wasting my time.

Do you think we're that stupid? That was weird, and I'm a little thrown off that you would lie like that and then make another post like "Oh! Just psychin you guys out! How about that?"

But.... whatever I guess?

If this is true, your parents are creepy. You're 21 and they wont love you anymore if you move out even though you're ENGAGED?? AND 21!?!?!? I'm waiting for you to tell me they keep you in the basement. How do you think that's normal? You do realize that you're an adult right? Like... three years ago?? I'm 21 and I have my own life, my own family, my own place, and I visit my mom all the time.

How long do they want you to live there? You think you'll be old enough when you're 35? 42? 80? I am very confused, and I'm torn between completely not believing you and wondering if you're just leaving some huge stuff out of your story.

I'm sorry because I still don't think you're serious.

VTC102

Nov 22, 2008
It might be helpful to include that they are very traditional people. They moved here from Asia 20 years ago and have retained their conservative views ever since.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
funny or not, but my mother was exactly like described in the locked thread. just i had a fairly normal father, and i didn't wait till i was 21. i moved out at 20. nightclubbing, sleepovers, sex -- was kind of a taboo. For a college student, that's really embarrasing. everyone goes clubbing on weekends, and you're NOT ALLOWED to stay out past 11PM.
when I decided to move out (and I moved out to another country!), there were also various threats and insults. guess what -- now my parents are very proud and loving grandparents.