Three-year old calls 911 for help...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
GUTHRIE, Oklahoma (AP) -- A 3-year-old girl used a simple song her mom made up to teach her how to call 911 to summon help when mom fainted.
When the 24-year-old and 3-months-pregnant Jessica Eaves fainted, Madelyn used the song "911 Green" to dial for help on her mother's BlackBerry phone, punching in 911, then the green send button to place the call as she had been taught just a week before.

The girl was connected to a dispatcher. In recently released transcripts of her May 27 911 call, Madelyn was able to answer questions about her house and cars outside, leading emergency workers to the home.

This isn't the first time Madelyn has used a cell phone to call for help for her mother.

A year ago, Eaves first learned she had a condition that can cause frequent fainting and made up a simple song around the lyrics "green, green, green." When Eaves lost consciousness back then, Madelyn picked up a cell phone and pressed the green button, which called the last person Eaves had called and that person called for help.

So Eaves revised the words to "911 green, 911 green," referring to the color of the send button on most cell phones

Three-year old calls 911 for help - CNN.com

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
That is a good example why you should have a home phone even if you never use it. If you dial 911 on a cell they have no idea where you are but with a land line your address pops up. If you don't say a single thing they still send aid.

We don't have a land line right now but I'm going to look into it. I meant to do so before but this reminded me.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
You know, kids are freaking amazing! I wouldn't put anything past a kid. They are so smart... I mean like pretty well ALL kids.

I have a friend with a 22 mth old son who has rage issues., he's also brilliant IMO :) She has always been so good with him, she knows when he is getting out of control and she talks to him, asks him why he is frustrated, and tells him to take a deep breath and calm down. She asks him all the time, "what's wrong, how can we fix it" and if she gets it on time it works. Anyway, long story short, the other day she was under the kitchen sink trying to fix something and was really flustered, well she looked up at her son and said "I'm sooo frustrated" he looked back at her right in the eyes, took a huge breath in and said "calm down mama" 22 mths old! Crazy.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Good Wolf said:
That is a good example why you should have a home phone even if you never use it. If you dial 911 on a cell they have no idea where you are but with a land line your address pops up. If you don't say a single thing they still send aid.

We don't have a land line right now but I'm going to look into it. I meant to do so before but this reminded me.
I have a cheapy cell and it has GPS and everything... It says in the book, I can dial 911 and they'll know. (Although no matter where from it would take an ambulance a good hour to get here anyway :( ) It also says I call dial 911 and even if I have no service, I will get through. Good to know.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I love reading stories like this. We've started teaching my son our address and we will be working on phone number soon. Teaching him about calling 911 for help is up there on that list too.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
My Dad had a stroke at the age of 39, so i was 3 as well. My Parents had to teach me how to call 911, say that my daddy is sick, <I>and </I>our address. At the time my mom worked part time at the hospital and nights, so if a occasion every arose (thankfully it never did) i would be able to call for help.