Time for potty training...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I'm going to have to jump on board with momforever. It's not because men are inherently messy, but because upright urination is. If you "hear the splash," then you know the main stream is making it into the toilet, but that doesn't mean toilet water won't splash back out. From a standing height, it's inevitable. Toilet water will splash back out onto the rim (or toilet seat if it's down) and probably onto the floor and nearby walls in smaller amounts. Not to mention, unless the man hovers directly over the toilet, the last drops of urine will fall on the rim/seat and floor as velocity decreases.

If men (and women who hover) took this into account and cleaned up after every urination, standing up might not be quite so convenient.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
The bathroom is a dirty place.. and not just from the act of urination...but it can be from flushing the toilet which causes germs and waste to go to unwanted places. Also if you walk into the bathroom and walk back out and don't wash your feet, you'd be spreading any possible germs that were already in the bathroom further.

My point? My point is that the bathroom is inherently dirty and there's no way around that. I would hope that people would be as sanitary as possible, but I won't be teaching my son that he has to spray the bathroom down with bleach every time he uses the bathroom. To me, that seems a bit overboard. I'm not saying to never clean the bathroom but every single time, not gonna happen.

Luke

Jul 16, 2012
I think the germs in your own toilet, which I would like to put emphasis on your own, are not worth worrying about to any extreme level.

Be clean, but being OCD is just insane.

When you consider when you shop, everything you touched has a lot of other peoples germs on it, whether it be faeces, urine, saliva, etc etc etc.

Wipe the top of the toilet (Seat or rim) and the floor if you miss a little, but leave the cleaning until you are doing the cleaning, in my opinion.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The taller the man, the more back splash. Forget it when half tired, it goes beyond backlash! Lol

However, I agree with the toilet carpet.... It gets pretty rank.

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
Various web sites say that standing urination is illegal after 10 PM in Switzerland. But others say is just a common boarding house policy.

Recently, some political parties in Europe have advocating making standing urination illegal.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure what that has to do with potty training unless you're in Switzerland, but that's interesting.

I don't want to derail the thread too much but I have some interesting questions regarding the legality and even the enforcement of such a law :)

ATB

Jul 19, 2012
San Francisco
I have a little girl, so I'm no help on the issue of standing to pee. But we just went through potty training w our daughter at age 2 yrs 9 mos. We loosely followed the 3-day guidance on Baby Center and found it very helpful. After a rocky beginning, this got us about 85% of the way there. Another thing that helped was the Elmo video on potty training and the "Potty Train" book. Our little girl really focused on these stories and seemed to relate to them.

Last edited:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
I'm going to have to jump on board with momforever. It's not because men are inherently messy, but because upright urination is. If you "hear the splash," then you know the main stream is making it into the toilet, but that doesn't mean toilet water won't splash back out. From a standing height, it's inevitable. Toilet water will splash back out onto the rim (or toilet seat if it's down) and probably onto the floor and nearby walls in smaller amounts. Not to mention, unless the man hovers directly over the toilet, the last drops of urine will fall on the rim/seat and floor as velocity decreases.

If men (and women who hover) took this into account and cleaned up after every urination, standing up might not be quite so convenient.
I guess I wasn't complete in my answer. It implied that only men need to be taught to clean up. Women can drip, and as a man who has clean plenty of women's restrooms in my life, the need to teach cleaning is not restricted to either gender. Messy people need to be taught to clean, not just men and boys (or boys (and men ))

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Anyone should be taught to clean up after themselves if they make a mess of course. I do have to say though, as a female living in a house full of boys, I am generally the cleaner bathroom user lol. I don't tend to hit anywhere but the actual water, but my four year old gets it everywhere, looks everywhere but the toilet while he's going lol, and my DH usually manages to get some on the rim, I would assume as the stream dies down lol. Good thing I clean regularly. So I would say that was an unfair statement, but I can kind of see where the rude stereotype might be coming from. :) haha

ODS sat down at first and then we taught him to stand up. I think that's actually pretty common.

tadamsmar

Banned
Jun 21, 2012
I think they should make the Standing Pee an Olympic sport.

If guys looked at it as a game of skill they would score their own efforts by noting even the smallest miss of the hoop and they would figure out strategies to be near perfect.

Get over the center and bend your knees to get close to the hoop. Keep the seat down to eliminate the back splash.

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I believe urine is sterile.

It seems obvious that some of you ladies have put a little time into "root causing" this issue.

There are times especially early. When the problem is more a matter of geometry.

Has anyone mentioned Cheerio's yet. They float, make great target, and almost every parent of a potty training age kid already has a box in the cabinet.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Sash's kinder has ping pong balls in the boys toilets, they're too light to flush down and it gives them something to aim at, they think it's a game to hit the ball and make it bounce up and down.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Urine comes out sterile, but when it dries up from droplets on the floor, it creates a sticky surface that collects dust and grime. And it smells. Sterility is irrelevant.

Cybele, what if someone poops directly on the ball?

ArielSauze

Nov 17, 2012
I'm was really relieved to read your post. My youngest son is 3 and appears completely resistant to potty training. It's good to know that he is not the only child that age who has yet to learn to use the potty.

Hellen

Feb 9, 2013
Hi,

I've look a lot on the internet for parenting books, not related to potty training, but I've found this e-book with great reviews and I plan to buy it.
What do you think http://www.startpottytraining.com/free-potty-training-video.php?hop=editoiubog[/url]

Thx,
Hellen