Tips on how to have a girl?...

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
I don't believe there is any trick... it's like flipping a coin... you never know what you'll get !!

Makes me laugh the wide range of beliefs there are around that !

If you go to Singapore, you can actually get artificially impregnated with your choice of boy or girl !! Besides that, nature will decide !

edgar

Jan 22, 2013
asiangirlytoes said:
Ok, I know this may just be folk legend, but are there really any ways to try to have a girl instead of a boy? Anyone have any experience with this?
We have an inversely similar situation. My wife & I wanted to have a baby boy but a baby girl was given to us instead. I really had no negative feelings about it as my wife & I love our baby girl so much. Thing is we only want to have 2 kids & we want to make sure this will be a boy this time. I'd like to share what I found that claims to be backed by medical science wutever.
http://tinyurl.com/genderselections just in case you may want to check out. My wife & I will be giving it a try & we hope this thing works.

edgar

Jan 22, 2013
I think it just puts you in a high probability rate of your gender of choice. But Yeah I agree, that's the right attitude. To accept the things you can't change :)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I always thought it must be possible to sort sperm by X/Y chromosome and achieve sex selection through artificial insemination. It is, after all, widely practiced in animal husbandry. I assumed that ethical barriers were the only thing preventing us from adapting this technology to humans. But since there's an interest on this thread, I did a little search and found a pretty good synopsis about where we're actually at on this scientifically: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/sperm-sorting/[/URL]

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Sex selection through IVF is already possible (but not legal in all countries) so it wouldn't be a far stretch for science to extend that to artificial insemination.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That's not really sex selection, so much as embryo selection. The embryos are already made, and they're just choosing to implant the male one(s) or the female one(s). It's the same strategy as selective abortion or infanticide, in terms of identifying gender and destroying the unwanted ones. Sperm sorting assures that only males or females are made (with up to 90% effectiveness in cows).

Artificial insemination is less costly and less invasive than IVF, and probably morally preferred. Instead of discarding embryos, fetuses or babies of the unwanted gender, you're just discarding sperm... something that happens anyway.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
It is still used for the purpose of sex selection though, regardless of the method. My point was that we have gotten as far where we can identify the sex of a bunch of cells, being an embryo, therefore it is only a matter of time before we can achieve sex selection through artificial insemination.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
We already do in cattle. A dairy breeder doesn't just take his chances and end up with 50% steers. He orders sorted sperm so he can artificially inseminate his cows to produce predominately female calves. So the technology is there, and it's separate from the technology that allows us to identify gender at the embryonic stage. It would just need to be adapted for human sperm.