Troops To Teachers...

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
So, I watched the debate lastnight and in the last question, McCain mentioned that he supports "Troops To Teachers". After some Googling, I found that this is already a program, but a very unsuccessful one. It assists veterans in getting the certs they need to become a public school teacher.

The way McCain stated it last night was this: "We need to encourage programs such as Teach for America and Troops to Teachers where people, after having served in the military, can go right to teaching and not have to take these examinations which -- or have the certification that some are required in some states."

I certainly hope above hope that he misspoke about his intentions. I couldn't imagine that putting someone directly into our education system simply because they served in the military. This would hurt our already struggling education system by putting unqualified people in front of students. Just because someone served in the military doesn't mean they're qualified to teach, just as simply because I have an education degree (which I do, but I do computers now) makes me qualified to be a Marine.

God help our children if this happens....

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I agree fully. Not everyone is qualified to teach (even those who want to be). I am unfamiliar with this program but if the intent is just to fast track people into the teachers chair (circumventing the qualification standards) then I think that's a bad idea. I'm all for giving some advantages to our veterans being a veteran myself, but not at the expense of our children's education. Our education system is suffering as is. Steve you made a great point when you said "<I>Just because someone served in the military doesn't mean they're qualified to teach, just as simply because I have an education degree (which I do, but I do computers now) makes me qualified to be a Marine.</I>" If you want to help veterans become teachers then increase their education benefits and let them get qualified just like everyone else.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I absolutely agree with you Phil. Our veterans don't receive the benefits that they should once they've finished serving our country. We should honor and resepect these men and women and be sure that they are taken care of properly. Give them GOOD education benefits to allow them to become teachers...but they need to follow the same path as every other aspiring teacher.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
I don't want to bring my politics into this forum, so I won't mention which candidate I support, but the Troops to Teachers program McCain is talking about is a good one. It helps military folks find gainful employment in the real world, and it's certainly not the irresponsible, nightmarish program you've made it out to be there:

TTT Step By Step

In most states, Troops to Teachers does not train or certify teachers, but rather helps you to find and enter the programs that do. Then, if you are eligible, Troops to Teachers provides financial assistance in the form of stipends or bonuses. Becoming a teacher with the assistance of TTT needs to be viewed as three distinct processes occurring at the same time. Some individuals begin teaching before becoming fully certified.

TTT Registration. To receive funds, you must register with TTT and request financial assistance, and then later on fulfill the required 3-year teaching commitment in a high needs district or campus.
Certification. You must fulfill the certification requirements of your desired state, often by participating in a teacher certification program.
Finding a job. Obtaining a position is your responsibility. The TTT national and state support offices assist with certification and job hunting advice but are unable to perform employment agency functions.

For some individuals, registering in TTT, pursuing certification, and job hunting can occur almost simultaneously.
Far from giving random, ex-military people free license in the classrooms as soon as they step off the plane from Iraq and put their guns back on the rack, it assists people departing military service in their desire to become fully-qualified, highly trained teachers. No one who doesn't do the work gets certified or comes near a classroom. Not as a teacher, anyway.

Certification requirements in participating states.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I've also read what you posted and that's exactly with the TTT program does. The way McCain stated it, he's wanting to change this program from what it currently is to allowing them to bypass the education and certifications and go directly to the classroom. I like the program...I don't like McCain's changes.

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
Aha, I misunderstood what you were saying. In large part it's due to the fact that it didn't occur to me for an instant that McCain was actually suggesting that it's a good idea to pump the education system full of guys with PTSD and a GED.

Now that I see what you're saying, though, it's not hard at all to find that quote around the web. DailyKos has a particularly vehement and NSFW take on it.

:err:

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
zeitgeist said:
Aha, I misunderstood what you were saying. In large part it's due to the fact that it didn't occur to me for an instant that McCain was actually suggesting that it's a good idea to pump the education system full of guys with PTSD and a GED.

Now that I see what you're saying, though, it's not hard at all to find that quote around the web. DailyKos has a particularly vehement and NSFW take on it.

:err:
LOL! Yeah they do...wow.