Trouble keeping friends.

Concernedad527

Dec 28, 2021
NJ
My son is 12. He's always been very meek/timid despite being an averaged sized/bigger kid. He has tried a few sports and hasn't loved them. He seems to hang out with the kids he plays the sports with during the season and then doesn't hang out with them much after the season or ever again....he's not "one of the guys" or popular at all. But he's not quite the kid sitting alone at lunch either. He sits on his phone at home alot (is that typical for this age?) We had him evaluated for autism which it was deemed hebwasnnotnon the spectrum. Our doctor has always told us not to force him to be social but just keep putting him in situations where he can be. I actually happen to coach the wrestling team he is on and when we walk into practice he doesn't say hi to anyone and no one says hi to him... its like he's invisible. It is probably the same for others, but I focus in on him because he's my son......does anyone else have any situations like this?

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
I can only speak to my own experience from when I was a 12 year old girl but I didn't have many friends at the time either. At the time cell phones weren't very prevelant but Nintendo Gameboy was and I played on that a lot. I also wouldn't greet people much.

12 is an awkward time. It's early/mid puberty for most kids and their bodies are going through a lot. I started becoming more social when I was 16-17 and pretty much past puberty. While I'm still an introvert I can definitely converse with people now.

I think his doctor is right. Don't push him too much but keep him involved when you can. As long as he doesn't seem severely depressed I wouldn't worry about it.

Ezyschooling

Jan 13, 2022
Hey!
We understand this could be difficult. Friendship plays a vital part in the healthy development of your child. It promotes happy feelings and reduces stress, thereby working as a positive influence on your children's all-around wellness and wellbeing. Here's an amazing article with some handy tips you can refer to see if its helps you:
https://ezyschooling.com/parenting/expert/make-and-keep-friends

Last edited: