Useful sites to help your kids with homework...

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
When I graduated from high school I thought my homework days were over. I didn't realized back then that they would continue as long as you have kids.

I put together a list of useful sites that will help your kids (and even you) with school homework. Some of them are pretty cool, like the site that solves math problems for you!

Check them out and if you know of any other good link, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

Most useful sites to help your kids with homework

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
I did tried it out with an equation I invented and it solved!

I agree, I wish the internet had been born when I was in school!!!

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
No offense, but I wouldn't want my child resorting to this site to solve alegbra problems for him. I want him to be able to do these on his own. I think is a necessary skill to develop.

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
Nikita said:
No offense, but I wouldn't want my child resorting to this site to solve alegbra problems for him. I want him to be able to do these on his own. I think is a necessary skill to develop.
Since the site explains how to solve the equation, I think it is a great resourcce if you get stuck on a particular algebra problem or you just don't know how to do it.
Besides, how many of us still remember algebra from when we went to school? What do you do if you child comes home with something like
(3X+Y)+7 =4(X+2Y) and asks you to help him solve it?

MidwestMom

PF Regular
Aug 21, 2008
Midwest
jgomez65 said:
Since the site explains how to solve the equation, I think it is a great resourcce if you get stuck on a particular algebra problem or you just don't know how to do it.
Besides, how many of us still remember algebra from when we went to school? What do you do if you child comes home with something like
(3X+Y)+7 =4(X+2Y) and asks you to help him solve it?
I agree, since I had an algebra teacher that wouldn't/couldn't bring himself down to our level to show us how to solve the problems. We all had to pretty much rely on the book, and figure it out on our own. I skimmed by with a C in that class, the lowest grade I ever got, but could have done much better, had I had a teacher that would take the time to explain it better. Any source of "Help" is good, as long as its not doing the work for them. ;)

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
My understanding was it would solve it first then walk you through. Most kids and most people, once they have a solution aren't going to bother with the why. Especially since they can just take all their homework questions and pop them in to get the answers without any work.

I'm out of practice and would have to review, but yes, I can solve algebra problems. One of my favourite highschool classes was calculus and I have a degree in Chemistry. So, I can help my children with homework.

I know not all parents have the same background, but they don't need to. I'm going to go through my children's books with them, (re)learn with them so that if they do need help, I can. I think any parent should be willing to do that so they don't have to say, I can't help.

WhoCares

Banned
Sep 7, 2008
My kids neved used and will never use sites to get help for homework. If they don't understand something, they come and ask me to help them. If they don't ask me (which usually doesn't happen more often than once a months)
I don't help and they are supposed to do their homework by themselves. I strongly disagree with sites for help. A regular intelligent child should be able to do their homework without help. I raise ym children be independent and smart, not babies forever.

cmp

Sep 10, 2008
WhoCares said:
My kids neved used and will never use sites to get help for homework. If they don't understand something, they come and ask me to help them. If they don't ask me (which usually doesn't happen more often than once a months)
I don't help and they are supposed to do their homework by themselves. I strongly disagree with sites for help. A regular intelligent child should be able to do their homework without help. I raise ym children be independent and smart, not babies forever.
It is a good thing that you don't have to resort to outside help for your children. However, most parents do need a little review now and then. Independent children can still use the computer for research and help if they get stuck. I would rather have them have help on the internet if they can't figure it out for themselves than have them be frustrated, not understand and hand in incomplete homework.