User: HWNorth...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
A new "guy" to the forum. So far he seems OK, but today I did have to delete one of his posts, and I sent him friendly PM asking him not to bait people. He was cool with it and understood my explation for deleting his post.

What I want to avoid is allowing any more guys think they can bait\toy with people in this forum and have it go unchecked.

I truly beleive if people are asked\informed politely when they are new to the forum, the are much more likely to be cooperative over the long term.

http://www.parentingforums.org/f7/need-help-my-sons-drinking-4837-2.html[/URL]

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep I agre, of course that whole post is a troll, but it seems to be going just fine so far

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
In my PM to hwnorth, I clarify with him that I was in agreement with him on the issue of trolling, and found his post funny, I deleted his post because it didn't help clarify why he throught it was trolling. In the next post Budntoka did a reasonable job of explaining why s/he thought it might be trolling. Keep in mind it was all in real time, I didn't delete his post after it was all over. If it had been all over, I would have left things alone and not deleted his post.

As happened in that thread, it is reasonable for parents in this forum to say "I think you're trolling because...." and continue to explain themselves. What isn't so helpful is "Call Jerry Springer..." and other baiting comments. Funny yes, but it only feeds the trolls. :) Trolls loved to attacked. And if a person isn't trolling, a comment like "Call Jerry Spring..." is a hurtful statement to a sincere parent coming here asking for support\advice.

hwnorth is fine and understands what I what I was doing at the time.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
As a follow up. Here is the PM exchange I had with EarnhardtLover a few hours later. He wanted the thread deleted. I tried to defuse it by not be upset with the guy. AFAIK, it could be some 12-14 year old kid.

jtee said:
EarnhardtLover, why do you want it deleted?

Thx
It serves no purpose. People think it's trolling and I'd rather just leave the forum.[/quote]

Of course the only person who really knows if you were trolling is you.

What you should take away from this is that how you wrote your first post, and additional responses in that thread lead everyone to beleive you were. If aren't trolling you need to look at your posts and understand why everyone thinks you're a troll. If you are trolling, you need to look at your posts and understand why you're being <U>way</U> too obvious about it. Either way there something to be learned.

Take Care, :)[/quote]