Very troubling book brought home by my stepdaughter

Rebekahdanvers1190

Jan 14, 2021
Hello everyone, my name is Rebekah. I am a loving mom to two beautiful children and a stepmom to two more, and devoted wife to my husband who I love with all my heart.

I have raised my two stepchildren like they are my own from the ages of 5 and 7, respectively. My stepdaughter is now 15 and my stepson is 17. My biological children are both boys, 14 and 20. My stepkids have split time through the years between my husband and I and their mom's house, mostly with us. They have been with us uninterupted for the last four years since my husband won sole custody.

My stepdaughter Braylen has always had a rebellious streak and even though I love her to death we have always butted heads. Things are worse right now than they ever have been. She recently brought home a book from school, The Raw Materials of Futility, assigned by her English teacher. This isn't anything unusual since she's always reading but this paticular book stuck out to me because the cover caught my eye when I saw it, and when I asked her what the book was about she was very cagey about it and didn't want to share. I played it cool and figured maybe there were some... steamy parts or something that she was embarassed about. I get it, she's fifteen! That would be ok. Out of curiosity I took it out of her backpack after she went to bed bacause I wanted to see what was in this book!

As soon as I started reading, I was horrified. Murder, cannibalism, rape, child molestation, devil worship, you name it and it's in this book. I am a Christian woman and my faith is very important to me. My father was an atheist when we met but surely over the years I have gotten him to go to church and he was saved finally in 2017. The things that are in this book offend not only my faith as a Christan but the basic decency of people. I could not BELIEVE a teacher would assign this book to a 15 year old GIRL. I showed it to my husband and he was as furious as I was that the school would assign this kind of book to a 15 year old, and at our 15 year old for not telling us what was in this book! We had a meeting with the school and the teacher held firm that she is allowed to assign reading in her classroom, and the principle BACKED HER UP!

I have convinced my husband to send Braylen to twice weekly counseling sessions with our pastor, and I hope he can undo the damage that this depraved book has done to her mind. We are also looking at pulling her out of school and enrolling her in a christan private school. Please parents, MIND what your kids are reading! I have found the author of the book and have been messaging twitter and Facebook to pull down his accounts, and amazon to take down his book or AT LEAST include a content warning.

Moonstone

Nov 9, 2020
USA
Yikes dood. Way to go over the top IMO. Ever heard of Lord of the Flies? Slaughter House 15? Both books assigned by my school when I was your step daughter's age. It's a BOOK. And they're using it to understand the dark side of human nature.

I predict forcing your daughter to go to church counseling over this will only cause her to rebel further. My own parents let me read similar books without making a big deal over it and, while I'm agnostic, I still hold the principals and ideals of Christ.

Reactions: tidd

tidd

Jan 28, 2023
Stop forcing and shoving your beliefs down her throat. She doesn't have to believe what you and your husband believe.

If you keep forcing her, when she decides to leave .. you'll barely (if at all hear from her.)

You can't shelter her from the world.
Nor can you control her.

What do you mean by rebellious??

Growing up and trying to find who she is and developing into her own person??

Accept her for who she is or lose her when she moves out.

What you are doing is being abusive.

These things happen in the world.

This is her assignment for class, and perhaps she wants to read it out of curiosity.

You had a reaction that was unwarranted and uncalled for.

These things are all around.
I suggest that you and your family move back to reality and the real world.

Right now you seem to exist in a fairytale world.

There's nothing wrong with those books.

You are abusive and controlling towards her.

You can't censor the world