Watchdog Group Asks for Food Dye Ban...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I think it's about time. If not a full ban, I feel that the FDA should at least admit that this stuff is not just harmless...

<I>WebMD Health News</I>
<I>June 3, 2008 -- A watchdog group called on the FDA to ban artificial food dyes because of concerns they may be linked to behavior problems in some sensitive children.</I>

<I>The Center for Science in the Public Interest wants eight artificial colorings to be pulled off the market in favor of natural food dyes now in growing use in Europe and elsewhere. The eight dyes include Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, Orange B, Red 3, and Yellow 6.</I>

<I>The group says a handful of studies suggest eating artificially colored food could play a role in worsening attention and hyperactivity problems in sensitive children.</I>

full story:
Watchdog Group Asks for Food Dye Ban

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
grr I had this great post all written up why agree and my several expierences with food coloring and the effects i have personally seen on kids and it didnt post :(
ecyzemia, allergies, and things not labeled with food coloring like oranges.
anyways maybe i will come back at a later time and tell you my stories :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I agree some children can be allergic but some kids are not. If they do not need to be used then they shouldn't be using them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
we are one of the only countries that use them. same with artificial flavors. If you go to European they use... get this... the real thing! I know its crazy!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
How do you get real food coloring? For tons and tons of say juice?
I never understood why they used them to begin with. Kool-aid always tasted like the same shat no matter what flavor you bought. hahaha

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
like if they have some grape juice, their grape juice is actually that, not the 10 mile list of ingredients that we have in our juices. THeres are natural colors and flavors. Sure they might have ho-hos there, but the majority of thier foods are much more natural then ours.

Kool-aid, lol they all taste the same. I don't think you get much worse then drinking Kool-aid.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I was a poor child. If my mom could buy the sugar by the pounds I wonder why she couldn't squeeze some dang oranges. I'm going to give her a call!

I don't know why we do it, maybe because we are such a high population they have to find other ingredients?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
My biggest problem with the dye is the FDA stands by their claim that it is totally safe. Then we have parents that have no idea about the dye sensitivity and end up with children on ADHD meds when they really aren't ADHD.

I know, I've posted the below before but...

According to Wikipedia:

In Europe[/URL], Allura Red AC is not recommended for consumption by children. It is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria.

Allura Red AC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I agree this crap is bad for you, but I wish people would learn to vote with their dollar. Companies wouldn't use any of this if people didn't buy things that had them in it.

My oldest has food sensitivities. HFCS is a big nono in our house. But I'm not going to cry to the government to make them quit putting in it bread. I'm going to buy the bread that doesn't have it. Haha, take that!

But I'm kinda silly about the whole freedom thing.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Sirk said:
I agree this crap is bad for you, but I wish people would learn to vote with their dollar. Companies wouldn't use any of this if people didn't buy things that had them in it.
100% agree!

I just wish the FDA would actually step up and be truthful about it.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I had to google HFCS to see what you are talking about. That stuff is evil, I feel like it's a nice (deceptive) word to describe SUPER SUGAR. We avoid that around here as well and it's amazing how much healthy looking stuff is loaded with it.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
HappyMomma said:
I just wish the FDA would actually step up and be truthful about it.
The government is being useless? NO WAY!

Public schools would have pushed Lita into ADD meds if I hadn't taken her out and cut out HFCS. You should see her after we go out for ice cream or something. It's crazy.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Sirk said:

My oldest has food sensitivities. HFCS is a big nono in our house. But I'm not going to cry to the government to make them quit putting in it bread. I'm going to buy the bread that doesn't have it. Haha, take that!

But I'm kinda silly about the whole freedom thing.
I agree 100%

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I don't think most kids have a problem with the food dyes targeted (and that some most likely do), but I completely agree about not using them as they are unnecessary.

I also agree about voting with your wallet: We don't buy junk for our kids (I don't buy it for myself, but my husband...:rolleyes:). But it's pretty easy when they are 20-months old; I just hide the car keys and we're safe.