We have a new four legged family member...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I am pretty sure I have mentioned it before but I have volunteered at a no kill shelter for almost 20 years.

About eight months ago a man came in with a 14yr old cat, story goes that she belonged to his mother who passed away, so he took the cat but he doesn't like cats and after two months he had all he could handle of her. She became a bit of a joke at the shelter because she is very responsive and always responds to her name, which is Sybil. So whenever someone would call me, she would go over to them and stare at them, waiting to find out what she had been called for. So after a while anytime my name was called it was followed up with the question "The cat or the human?" we have since re-trained her to respond only to Cat-Sybil and not Human-Cybele, which is what everyone else at the shelter has been calling me for the past 8 months.

Well, as you can imagine, elderly animals are very hard to find homes for, someone drops off a puppy or a kitten and there are people banging down the door to get a hold of them, but a 14yr old cat (who is now, almost 15) doesn't generate a lot of interest, especially a domestic short hair, if she were a ragdoll or a scottish fold she would be in with a chance. We are a no-kill shelter, but eventually an animals time with us has to be up and they get transferred elsewhere, unfortunately, there is no guarantee that they will be transferred to another no-kill shelter.

So Cat-Sybil's time was up and I couldn't quite let her go (also, I did know where she was going and it is a kill shelter, and she is nearly 15, no one is going to adopt her) so instead of being moved on to another shelter, she came home with me, making this cat #5 for us.

She immediately made herself at home on Dita's bed, which seems to now be her bed, Dita and Violet can go and sleep on the cushion in the laundry I guess.

cg admin

Administrator
Oct 30, 2008
She's a very pretty cat. Looks good for 14. Are her senses still good and keen?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Her eyesight seems to be going a little bit but other than that she is quite healthy. She was clearly very loved and cared for before her owner died.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
What a sweetheart, I agree she does look very good for her age! I'm so glad she got to go home with you. :) Super cute funny story.

tradtke

Dec 22, 2013
personally i'm more of a dog person, but I don't think any family is complete without some type of furry friend. congrats.