We lived to tell the tale! Hawaii & infants ok!...

KimMomof3

PF Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2010
New Mexico
Hey there friends!

We did the big trip with little Lance! Its wasn't a cake walk with him, but far easier than expected. The plane ride was the biggest concern. Here's what helped us out: 1) Of course, thank goodness for nursing, during take off and landing worked like a charm. 2) Baby Einstein Mozart, Bach, Beethoven videos on the laptop during flight an excellent distraction. 3) Luck of the draw, we were seated in a row of three with an extra seat so we put the baby on the seat between us on a miniature boppy like pillow and played with a bunch of different toys, when he wasn't sleeping. He only fussed minimally. We took the "red eye" flight overnight on the return flight and he just slept the whole way! 4) I located a local baby sitter on craig'slist. We emailed back and forth and I checked her references before we went out. Then we went to her house and met her before we agreed to leave him with her. She turned out to be wonderful and reasonable with her fees. We were able to go and snorkel and explore the island a few times and even go out to dinner, alone, because of her. If anyone needs her information for the same purpose I would gladly recommend her! 5) Finally, he would go to sleep around 2 or 3 pm there because of the time difference. We were staying in a safe, gated condo community on the beach, so we used our cell phones as a monitoring method so we could go out by the pool or beach which was 50 yards from our back door. We'd leave one cell phone next to him on speaker phone as he was sleeping and then take the other with us. It worked great and we got to be out of the condo, close by, in the evenings to watch the ocean and sunsets etc.!

Anyway, all it was a great trip and I'm glad I didn't let my fears of baby disaster keep us from going! Its just a lesson that you can live life to the fullest, even with small children in tow, using creativity and trust as your guide as you figure out the best way to make that living possible.

Plus, my little guy is just awesome! Yay Lance!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's so awesome! I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful time! :)

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Be careful with the phone thing, thats how Maddie McCann was kidnapped. It has been years since I've been to Hawaii, I imagine it has changed quite a bit. Babies tend to handle flights well, they're too young to get bored, major advantage!

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The cell phone thing sounds cool. How long of a session did you use it for? Someone got kidnapped because they used a cell phone like that???

Anyway cool glad it work out well for you.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
We have used our phones like that before, but it was only to walk accross the hall in our apartment building to visit our neighbors, and hear Eli if he woke up for something at the same time so we could walk back over. I don't see why you couldn't use it for other reasons as well though if you made sure the situation was safe enough. Doors locked, windows secure, baby safely tucked in with safe surroundings and a good clear sound on the phone etc. I'd say you can be irresponsible about just pretty much anything, but if you do it right it should be just fine.

KimMomof3

PF Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2010
New Mexico
Sorry for late reply! We were only 50 yards away, and we would take turns about every 15 min. or so to check on him. All doors were locked and we felt safe in the community. There's no denying that there was a risk leaving him, that we chose to take. But we did so, taking all the precautions that we could think of, and the gut feeling was ok. Wouldn't have done it if any of those elements were out of place.
The results were that we got to hang out by the beach at sunset and baby got the rest he needed.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Glad you made it through and were able to figure out how to do it all with good memories. How great that you found such excellent child care, we had considered doing a similar thing on a trip to disney once, but chickened out. There's just something about trustingg strangers no matter how well -referenced that seems scary (when in reality it's probably more dangerous to trust somebody you kinda know, but haven't done much checking on.) It's funny how "familiarity" plays on the emmotions.