Weddings, what's it like...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I was reading through some old threads and was thinking that weddings are a really common thing amongst our community, many of you are married and we even have a resident wedding planner in our midst.

So, please post something about weddings, what was yours like? What's typical in your area or within your culture? What's the strangest wedding activity you've ever been a part of, etc.? Let's have some fun with this.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
My wedding was a pretty event w had probably 200-250 people at the church 300-350 at the reception and dance. We each had 5 attendants (oh, and this was 25 years ago btw....) So, we had a traditional Catholic wedding mass, we were sent forth from the service by the guests showering us in bird seed (as a replacement for the traditional rice throwing, which ostensibly causes birds to die when they eat it and it expands within them).

We were then driven around town in a "procession" of sorts, horns honking etc. and driven to the hall where the reception and dance was to be held. There was a receiving line there, where we greeted all of our guests and received the congratulations, then we sat down to a meal that was served buffet style and followed by a cake cutting. Then there was a "break in the action" to allow people to attend mass if they were so inclined (wedding masses don't "count") at which point my bride was "stolen" by my groomsmen and I was "stolen" by her bridesmaids and taken away for a brief drinking tour around town. Once returned to the hall, we had a dance with a live band and the dancing and drinking went well into the late night.

This was a very traditional wedding relative my wife's family. It was a stark contrast to what I grew up with. Weddings in my family usually consisted of 2 maybe 3 attendants, a reception with sandwiches and punch either at a church hall or the home of the bride. Everything was done and wrapped up by 4 or 5 so the guests could go home and tend to their farming chores. Pretty boring by comparison.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
My husband's family is quite spiritual so we had a traditional handfasting, which is a Pagan ceremony where 1 year and 1 day prior to the actual wedding we have a ceremony where we vowed to live as if we were husband and wife until the wedding, and our hands were tied together over a fire.
Basically, the idea behind it is that for that year and a day you live as common law, and provided you don't make any children in that time, after the year is up you can decide whether to continue with the wedding or call it quits.

So, obviously after the year we decided to get married 'for real'. We had quite a small wedding, only 40 people (small given the size of my husband's family). We had a morning wedding, civil ceremony at a lovely place called The National Rhododendron Gardens, which was just beautiful as it was during summer so all the flowers were in bloom.

We had a breakfast reception at a tea house and that was about it. We were quite young (I was 21, my husband was 19) and absolutely broke, so I had to go to work at the 24 hour dry cleaner that evening. How romantic.

I guess some of you know that I am a bridal florist, the area I live and work in has a HUGE bridal industry, we're talking 20-odd purpose build chapel and reception centres, plus stand alone chapels, churches and temples and stand alone reception centres. I've been doing this for a long time, so I would like to say I've seen it all, but the moment I say that I know that I will have an appointment with someone who will requestion something I could never have thought of.

The most amazing one I have done, and got to set up the area for was a Korean couple who had a traditional tea ceremony. They requested the walls of the temple to be cloaked in jasmine, it was an incredible amount of work but it was something I had never done before, so it was quite exciting.

Weirdest one I have ever done, the past 5 or so years have seen an increase in 'themed weddings' that have nothing to do with weddings themselves. I blame shows like Four Weddings for this, they do some weird stuff on there. I have done, off the top of my head I think it's 4, but I'm not 100% on that, Lord of The Rings themed weddings. I did a Christmas wedding on Christmas Eve last year. I did one a few years back that was "shotgun wedding" themed. Obviously I don't see the full effect of these, I go in at ridiculous hours of the morning, set up and leave, but I am very good friends with the owner of the place where it was done and he did report back that yes, the bride had a toy rifle pointed at her head for the duration of the vows by her father and she was dragged up the aisle by her father and brother.

In short, lots of weird people out there.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
My wedding to my late wife was reasonably traditional in many ways, and yet not at all traditional at all in others. The whole thing was arranged in 6 weeks. Honestly, I'm not sure why we were in such a rush. I suppose we were both fairly impulsive people, and when we decided to do something, we wanted to do it immediately! LOL.

Our wedding was fairly small - About 40 or 50 people - I can't remember exactly. We each had one attendant - my brother was my best man, and her best friend was her bridesmaid.

The all-in-one wedding venue was a fairly new trend here in those days, and we managed to get one on a cancellation. They had a little chapel and a hall for the reception, and also provided the catering, decorations and even the flowers. In short - they pretty much did everything, and we just rocked up and got married. To this day I suspect that we got the flowers ordered by the couple who canceled. LOL. Oh well - if that was the case, they had good taste!

I never knew how she conjured up a dress on such short notice, but she looked stunning :)

Even though I wasn't very religious at all - my religious views could (and sometimes still can) most accurately be summed up as "confused" :rolleyes: - the ceremony was performed by the minister from the Methodist church my in-laws had been members of for many years. It was fairly traditional, with him reading a passage from the Bible, followed by a short sermon, followed by the formalities of exchanging vows and rings, etc. We had rose-petals for confetti - something that is very common here.

The reception was less traditional.

We more-or-less followed the traditional pattern, with a few significant changes. It started with a starter (appetizer) being served, followed by the two of us standing up together and thanking and toasting those we care about for what they've meant to us through our lives, rather than the never-ending series of toasts and speeches. The "main course" was served buffet-style, after which we had the tradition first dance, and the dance floor was opened. Desert and cake-cutting etc came later. I believe she threw her flowers at one stage, but I can't quite remember. We didn't have a bridal table (mostly due to the difficulty of determining who would sit there), but opted for two long tables instead, with us seated in the middle of one of the tables among the guests. We had a photographer, but we didn't do the traditional family photos, opting instead for separate photos of each couple, and a single group shot of all the guests.

It was a great party, though. Most of her family left straight after desert, and the rest of us danced and generally had a great time until the venue had to throw us out due to municipal regulations about noise, at which point we moved a smaller part of the the party to one of our friend's house, and continue until the early morning hours. :p

In short, we placed much less emphasis on family than is traditional, but pretty much stuck to the script for most other things.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Mine was an all in one with about 20 people. It was really, really small. We didn't have food afterwards, we did have cake. Honestly I don't remember a lot about our wedding. I have the worst memory. I do remember we couldn't get into our hotel room cause no one could figure out who's name it was under. My mom got it on a discount through a friend, finally she said to look for the a bell hop named ?, he helped her decorate the room. Thankfully he was still there and able to figure it out lol

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
I am very good friends with the owner of the place where it was done and he did report back that yes, the bride had a toy rifle pointed at her head for the duration of the vows by her father and she was dragged up the aisle by her father and brother.

In short, lots of weird people out there.
hahaha, I thought shotgun weddings were supposed to be the other way around, dragging the "reluctant" groom to the alter to "do right" by the woman he has defiled...that's an interesting (and seemingly chauvinistic ) way of approaching it.

All of these theme things make me think that these people have not intention of looking back on this in 50 years....they seem to be happy if it gets a chuckle for the next 6 months or so....sad.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
IADad said:
hahaha, I thought shotgun weddings were supposed to be the other way around, dragging the "reluctant" groom to the alter to "do right" by the woman he has defiled...that's an interesting (and seemingly chauvinistic ) way of approaching it.

All of these theme things make me think that these people have not intention of looking back on this in 50 years....they seem to be happy if it gets a chuckle for the next 6 months or so....sad.
I think it worked both ways, the reluctant groom and the newly pregnant bride, but also the bride who was sold to the (usually, much older) groom for a dowry of a bunch of goats and a quilt for 'family connections'.

When asked for my thought/advice, I usually go with; all weddings (talking the big parties here, not the act of getting married) date poorly, because typically weddings are saturated in trend, I am sure that the 'theme' parties will be the thing of the late 00's-early 10's, but there is a difference between trend and pop culture.
50 years from now people are going to look back and go "Oh goodness, fit and flare mermaid dresses, cupcake towers and ball bouquets, what were we thinking?" because those things won't be 'in' anymore, but they're styles of universally accepted 'wedding things', same reason why no one says to anyone who got married in the 80's "Oh goodness why on earth did you have such a puffy wedding dress?". But, theming your entire wedding around a movie or book or a quirky whim, is probably something you will have regret about, because your love of say, The Lord Of The Rings, won't last forever.

But that's just my take on it.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Then again, Cybele, if you consider the duration of the average marriage, perhaps the theme will be "in" for as long as the couple cares to reflect on it. :)

Singledad, your wedding sounds like it was lovely.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
We married in a church, with maybe 50 people in attendance. We had family members perform musical solos on various instruments, exchanged vows, lit a candle, and kissed.

Then every one went to my parents' home for an outdoor reception, with food prepared by my extended family. We prepared for rain by having everything under a large tent, but we did not prepare for the nearby forest fire, which drove all the bees out of their homes and onto the lawn, where most of my guests were stung. :) It was smoky too, so the spectacular view (for which the location was chosen) was completely hazed over.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
Singledad, your wedding sounds like it was lovely.
In many ways it was :) Especially after the in-laws had left :D I'm still glad that we stood up and said screw convention: We'll invite who we want and leave out who we want. We'll thank who we feel grateful towards, but no one else. MIL was upset about a lot of things, but at least tried to be gracious for the duration of the evening. Of course, FIL insisted on paying for the whole todo, because he considered it his duty to see his daughter married "in style", and afterwards complained bitterly about the wasted money. Whatever - it was around that time that we stopped caring about their approval. Our wedding was fun. :)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
we did not prepare for the nearby forest fire, which drove all the bees out of their homes and onto the lawn, where most of my guests were stung. :) It was smoky too, so the spectacular view (for which the location was chosen) was completely hazed over.
Oh boy. What a disaster! LOL.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
the only really "dated" part of our wedding was hair styles. The clothes were reasonable "Classic." and decorations very traditional.

MamaRuthie

PF Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2013
melbourne
our wedding was really big with 400 people, wegot married in the church then had a big reception dinner
'
nothing exciting like swarms of bees happened though, lol

Jerseyknox

May 19, 2020
There are a lot of great option around the net. Your potential photographers will benefit from every detail you offer - the venue, the time of the day, the style of dress and the overall vibe you’re going for. These make it much easier for photographers do determine if you’re stylistically aligned. If you are, many photographers will try to work with your budget that is why i would recommend you to hire elopement photographer in iceland which is one of the best pros in scandinavia area and the best one personally for me.

Karkes

May 19, 2020
There are a lot of great option around the net. Your potential photographers will benefit from every detail you offer - the venue, the time of the day, the style of dress and the overall vibe you’re going for. These make it much easier for photographers do determine if you’re stylistically aligned. If you are, many photographers will try to work with your budget that is why i would recommend you to hire elopement photographer in iceland which is one of the best pros in scandinavia area and the best one personally for me.
Thanks a lot for your replie and great suggestion!

Klissop

Jun 30, 2020
I'm now more interested in a wedding fashion for guests. What can I wear to a friend's wedding if it's not a themed wedding and there is no dress code?

Hassty

Jul 22, 2020
I'm now more interested in a wedding fashion for guests. What can I wear to a friend's wedding if it's not a themed wedding and there is no dress code?
I never liked bright outfits and always preferred to choose a dress in accordance with the dress code of the event. I received an invitation to my friend's wedding and I realized that I didn't know what to wear for a wedding dinner in a restaurant. For the whole last year of lockdown, I have lost the habit of following fashion trends. My friend, who will also be at this wedding, shared with me a link to an online store with a large assortment of dresses for a wedding guest. I found a lot of cool dress models there, but I tried to choose one that is not only beautiful but also comfortable and practical in use.

RandyGold

Apr 23, 2021
My wedding was very local and I liked it. I mean that only our close friends were invited. We rented a beautiful place and just nicely spent time there