Well, I did it again.......

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
So, last night, I'm watching some Disney channel with my kids and an ad comes on "thanking moms for what they do everyday...fight stains."

Now, for the veterans here, yes, I know I'm fighting a loosing battle and making a big deal out of nothing. But I think this is a little different, when they are sending a message directly to my kids. I think the message I sent them below conveys it best:

"It's not really a complaint about your product, it's about your advertising. I can't believe that on a disney chanel, you catually put an ad out to "thank MOMs for what they do every day."
I have no problem with you marketing to moms, I understand they buy more of your product than men, but I do have a problem with you communicating to my children that "laundry is women's work." What decade is this? If you wanted to appeal to parents could you not have said "thanks parents?"
I've purchsed your carpet care products before and liked them, but I'm hesitant to support his kind of marketing.
I'm disappointed.?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow I just do not agree with all of that. :( We don't watch a whole lot of cable, mostly Netflix, but still commercials never cease to amaze me. Seriously, like moms are the only people that do laundry?! Wow!! I'm glad you complained to them. This kind of thing has just got to change!!

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I never even watch commercials I am a channel surfer, much to everyone's annoyance LOL. So for me, it's not an issue, honestly how many people really do watch the commercials? But I have said this before................very little 'gets' to me. Although I do have my hills to doe on.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I like to get my stereotypes from Budweiser and Victoria Secret commercials.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
bssage said:
I like to get my stereotypes from Budweiser and Victoria Secret commercials.
me too, and Hardees...

but that's the point, I don't care (as much) if they want to do sterotype marketing to adults, but when they put it on kids TV and gear the message to the kids, that's where I think they need to change.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm with you on commercials, but not just because they are stereotypical. On children's channels they also promote superficiality, materialism, rudeness, and everything I want to avoid with my child.

Sadly, my daughter has outgrown NickJr which has no commercials, and PBSKids only comes on during weekdays. Those Disney shows also promote stereotypes and rude, sassy behavior.

Can you get netflix without a wii?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
MomoJA said:
I'm with you on commercials, but not just because they are stereotypical. On children's channels they also promote superficiality, materialism, rudeness, and everything I want to avoid with my child.

Sadly, my daughter has outgrown NickJr which has no commercials, and PBSKids only comes on during weekdays. Those Disney shows also promote stereotypes and rude, sassy behavior.

Can you get netflix without a wii?
Well, she can watch netflix on a computer, not sure how practical that might be for you. Some blu-ray players can connect, some HD tvs (if they are wifi capable, A Roku box, is about $50 and you can stream anything from your computer...then it's a question of, if you're inclined to get a wii someitme, do you want to duplicate hardware. You can get a wifi adapter for your tv also for about $50...all this assumes you already have a wifi router setup....(or can steal your neighbor's signal...)...on a smartphone/ ipda is another option.

but if you don't have any of those things, then on the computer would be the only way without a hardware investment of some kind. $50 might be worthwhile...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You can use an Xbox, a Wii, a PS3, a computer and a blu ray player. Possibly other things lol. I agree about Disney Channel, they encourage such rotten attitudes in kids. So annoying.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
parentastic said:
wow, that's pretty cool. Seems like it does the things I've wanted that are keeping me from trying to wathc TV from the internet, namely how do you find the content easily.

i wonder if they have a money back guarantee if I bought it but didn't end up liking it. (I see you can build it yourself too ...interesting.)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
MomoJA said:
Those Disney shows also promote stereotypes and rude, sassy behavior.
I am SO there with you on that MomoJA! When my son first started watching Disney I was surprised at the shows. I thought Disney was going to be a little more 'magical' than that. Lots of the kids in the shows are sassy and disrespectful to each other. We had to ban the channel for a couple of years because it was giving oldest son the wrong ideas about what is funny in a real life situation.

As far as commercials... I have to say I am one of the unusual people who enjoy commercials, and infomercials. I watch them with my son and we talk about them. I point out the ridiculousness of them when it's called for. We like to laugh when they show people making a simple task look impossible (like cooking pasta). And there are also so really amazing ads out there. I think that it is a pretty tough task to 'sell' someone on something in less than 30 seconds. Even though a lot of ads have a specific target, I think my oldest doesn't have a problem seeing past the target group. If he sees an amazing laundry commercial, he'll say "we should get that for King" :D Since he is the one who usually ends up with that task.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
stjohnjulie said:
And there are also so really amazing ads out there. I think that it is a pretty tough task to 'sell' someone on something in less than 30 seconds.
You are right about that. When I went to art school, we would watch the CLIO awards in class. I think you can probably find them youtube. It recognizes clever commercials from around the world. There really is an art to it and some of those ads are better than most movies out there.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
IADad said:
wow, that's pretty cool. Seems like it does the things I've wanted that are keeping me from trying to wathc TV from the internet, namely how do you find the content easily.

i wonder if they have a money back guarantee if I bought it but didn't end up liking it. (I see you can build it yourself too ...interesting.)
There is also WD TV Live Plus
I use Tivos which have access to Netflix, Hulu, etc.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
okay, so I'm about ready to pull the plug on satellite etc...it's just so confusing what to switch to and how will the user experience be on each box in the house...this is a major change, from "what's on?" to "what do you want to watch?" I'd always thought going and getting it would be the hassle, but you guys are showing me the interface is more friendly than I'd imagined. Probably need to go to a store and touch some of this stuff and get a feel for what it does...sorry, hun, gotta go do some "research."

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
I am SO there with you on that MomoJA! When my son first started watching Disney I was surprised at the shows. I thought Disney was going to be a little more 'magical' than that. Lots of the kids in the shows are sassy and disrespectful to each other. We had to ban the channel for a couple of years because it was giving oldest son the wrong ideas about what is funny in a real life situation.

As far as commercials... I have to say I am one of the unusual people who enjoy commercials, and infomercials. I watch them with my son and we talk about them. I point out the ridiculousness of them when it's called for. We like to laugh when they show people making a simple task look impossible (like cooking pasta). And there are also so really amazing ads out there. I think that it is a pretty tough task to 'sell' someone on something in less than 30 seconds. Even though a lot of ads have a specific target, I think my oldest doesn't have a problem seeing past the target group. If he sees an amazing laundry commercial, he'll say "we should get that for King" :D Since he is the one who usually ends up with that task.
I know those info-mercials and ads that show people having the most difficult, slicing a bagel, or squeezing a lemon...

Right now, 90% of our ads are Republican candidate ads, that'll be over soon.

As for Disney, I was thinking the tone of disney productions was something new, but tak a close look at some old disney favorties still being produced today... I kind of cringe when I look at how "Goofy" is presented, a dumb guy who sounds dumb...pluto gets treated cruelly, professor von drake's syntax is all messed up, so it's still okay to make fun of non-english speakers....I know I'm looking at it overly critically, but really, is that okay?

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
We have a show in Australia called "the gruen transfer" it is an entire show about adds, thy break them down and talk about them and sometimes they have to make their own. It is harder than it looks lol