What about after school activities?...

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

Looks like a lot of parents want their kids to be the best, to socialize and to learn many useful skills for when they grow up. My questions are...

Is it really good to push many activities into the kids daily schedule? Or is it better to focus on a few?

Who picks what type of activities are best, your kids or you?

What do you believe should be given priority: Sports, art, music...?

Just drop your thoughts ;)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Availability plays the biggest role for us. We don't have a whole lot of choices in our small community.

My kids only do one activity at a time, because every time I've tackled more, I just feel like I spend the whole day chauffeuring and waiting. I used to not want them to miss any opportunities, but honestly, they seem to get so much joy and enrichment from self-directed play at home that I really don't feel that way anymore.

Having a summer activity really helps create a routine, so I'm a little less picky when it comes to summer activities. During the school year, there's a higher threshold in terms of what is worth our time.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I feel guilty from time to time that my daughter has never been in any formal activity that was longer than the 6 or 8 week programs in the leisure guide. However, I know from experience, when I was young ( I was in dance) sometimes just one activity's schedule can be overwhelming. I would have to wake up early on a weekend and me and my mom would have to take a bus (bus schedules don't run as frequently on the weekends.) downtown to my 1 hour classes. The commute and early morning weekend wake up times was wearing thin on me and my mom, and just short of the recital I felt we really needed to take a break. Actually, it was the last time my mom enrolled me in dance. But I was just fine dancing around the house and I was able to catch up on sleep and focus on my art. I still LOVE dance and I use it as a focal point in my artwork. My mom insists that I enroll my daughter in leisure guide activities because they are not too expensive and brief. If you find your child really likes an activity and wants more out of it ( ex. professional classes) then you should find a school that has year round classes. Some kids my want to try something different every year. If your okay with spending money on hobby classes than by all means. But leisure guides are the best. If your child wants to get into many things you can tell them they can after they finished one activity. This topic was in a Berenstein Bears book and I believe the family did just that. Brother and Sister Bear had to narrow their choices down to the essentials. The activities that were most important to them. It's not healthy to run a child ragged or stress yourself out. It can make something that's supposed to be enjoyable miserable. However, some kids thrive on a lot of activity. I don't know how Maddie from Dance Moms does it? (Well, she's homeschooled, so that would help.) I think you should just pay attention to your kids cues. Notice how often their bored or just doing something to pass the time away. Ask them what activities they would like to do.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I don't really have any requirements other than it is something we can fit in (or, for the older ones, that they can get themselves to and from, we don't mind a few drop offs and pick ups, but not on a regular basis) and affordability.

I don't believe in a priority, sports, art, music and other things all have equal value to us in a general sense, for some kids one may be of higher importance to the other, but that is for them to decide.

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
Thanks for the stories :)

Looks like availability and convenience are important factors, as well as, what the kids really want.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
TabascoNatalie said:
Certainly depends on availability, logistics, and cost.
Now considering a very hard decision of pulling a plug on oldest son's activity as it is a major financial drain and a logistical nightmare.
How old is he. How long has been at this activity? If it's been a while and he has talent and wants to pursuit it further, perhaps you can find a way to keep him in it. If he's old enough tell him he may need to get a part time job or find a way to earn the money to keep him in it.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
He's 11 and the activity is go-carting. Talent? There's definitely some, however, any parents in that activity are thinking they're raising the next Lewis Hamilton. and yes, i know, any professional activity involves significant investment. But money/time wise it costs an arm and a leg, at the expense of whole family. So quite stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I wish i had taken him to football or cricket instead.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Cricket is a money drainer too, that's Sasha's thing at the moment and if he splits yet another bat I am going to scream.

aurays

PF Regular
Jan 20, 2015
Sounds like some activities can really become hard to handle :)

How do you tell your kids when it's enough and they should switch to some other activity? Do you make something up or do you express the reality to them?