What age should a child be home alone...

MaryLouise

Banned
Jun 20, 2011
Luton
I'll wait until mine are mature and grown up enough. I envisage this being 14 or 15 personally. Also depends on how long we'll be out for.

RainingCrumbs

Jun 25, 2011
I think every child grows up at different times. But I guess it's ultimately a judgement call. Personally, I wouldn't leave my kid alone before 13 or 14. But then again, in NYC you see kids watching around the street and taking the public transportation at 8 or 9 years old. so tough to say...

you can try it out for a little bit, and then slowly make it into longer durations...i.e. 30 minutes, one hour, two hours, a night. etc.

Step23

PF Regular
May 16, 2011
It really does depend on the maturity of the child and whether there are multiple children involved, I think.

I was an only child, and was first left alone for a few hours in the afternoon after school when I was 7. I would walk home from school, and be at home until my mother came home around 5ish. Both my parents worked, and money was tight, so they did what they had to do. But I had very strict rules to follow: I had to make sure the doors were locked when I got home, I never answered the door if anyone knocked (nor indicated I was in the house), and I never answered the phone unless it was mom's "code." Way back then there was no such thing as Caller ID or even voice mail. It was just that old, heavy black phone that would ring and ring and ring. So mom had a "code" - 2 rings, hang up, then call back. When I heard that, I knew it was mom and I would answer.

From then on, I was home alone before school, after school, during summer. I never really thought it was odd. I was a complete bookworm, so as long mom said it was okay to go to the library (I would call her when I was leaving, and as soon as I got back), I was happy happy. I had my homework and chores during the school year, and my books during the summer. As I got older (10 - 13), I could go over to friend's homes if my mother knew them. By the time I was 14, I was responsible for cooking the family meal.

Now, our 9.5 yr old granddaughter is, I would say, responsible enough to be left alone for a few hours. I don't think she would like it all that much, as she is very social and would rather have people around her. But she can get very much into various crafts and books and be happy, and she listens to instructions and stays out of trouble. However, her mother and father will not allow it. :)

My 12 yr old stepson is a whole other story. No way would my husband and I leave him by himself, not even if we were to make a quick trip to the store. If we leave the house, he goes with us. He simply cannot be trusted. He steals, he has no boundaries, he is very immature for his age, he will "play" with something until it's either broken or demolished, he does not follow/listen to instructions. I sometimes doubt he will be able to be left alone until he is an adult, and then it might be dicey.

So, it really is an individual thing. But the ultimate people who decides are the parents.

mommy_emma

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2011
England
As a lot of people have been saying, it depends on the maturity of a child and whether or not they would be happy with staying home alone.

For anything under half an hour, I would say probably a seven or eight year old, provided it was during the day and the child knew how to contact someone if they were in trouble. Anything from 30 mins- 2 hours I would say a nine or ten year old but again if it was during the day and the child could contact someone.

However something over two hours and anything after seven/eight in the evening or after dark I would not let any child under the age of eleven or twelve do. Especially if they have to care for a younger child. Also in the morning, you must really be able to trust the child to get up and get ready for school and go to school, and in the evening you must be able to trust them to go to bed on time...

One of my nieces, for example, I would let her stay in the house alone for over two hours (even in the evening) happily as she is very trustworthy and honest and she would be able to do what she was meant to do (she is ten). However her sister, who is twelve, I wouldn't really like her to be home alone as she would do stuff she wouldn't be allowed to do when her parents were home (like go on the phone for ages, eat the ice cream in the freezer, go on her laptop after 8.30pm...)

It's basically a matter of trust and also the personality of the child.

mommy_emma

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2011
England
Oh and also I think the legal age (in the UK) for staying home alone for a long period of time with younger children is something like 14/16.

scoobymom

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
I would never leave a child under the age of 11 or 12 alone for any amount of time. I just wouldn't and 6 or 7 is a very dangerous age to be left alone at all.

Just me.

KS_adoption

Jul 12, 2011
My parents left me at home alone starting at age 8 or 9, but I can't imagine doing that with my daughter. I would probably wait until she was 11 or 12, but since she's still a toddler now, I guess i have a lot of time to think about it! LOL

tobiusnc

Jul 21, 2011
It really depends on the details of the situation. My son is seven, and we have very good neighbors across the street with boys the same age. (The kids routinely visit each other.) My son is very well behaved and I wouldn't worry about him doing something dangerous if I left him alone, but I wouldn't leave him for long (15 minutes), and only if the neighbors were home so he could go there if I didn't get back in time. I envision getting into a car accident or something that would keep me from getting home. In any case, given the environment, I could see him being home for a couple hours after school in a couple years. The problem is we also have a 4 year old, and I wouldn't put my older son in charge of his brother at 9.

My wife was babysitting 3 younger cousins (including an infant) all day when she was 11, so times have definitely changed.

naomewatson

Jul 26, 2011
<r><QUOTE author="5bygrace;120986"><s>
5bygrace said:
</s>Ok, so at what age should a child be home alone before school and/or afterschool?<br/>
<br/>
<br/>
and I am talking for an extended period of time....not just 15 min. to hop on the bus, but a few hours???<e>
</e></QUOTE>

I think 11-12 years kid can stay home alone. But initially we need to give basic information to them about the safety measures. Need to keep eye on them. It also depends on how comfortable they are staying at home alone. Some kids finds it difficult to stay alone.<br/>
<br/>
I remember being home alone at age six, but then again I remember playing outside at night until mom called us home. Some states set 12 as the legal age, which is a pretty good guide. Check with the National Child Care information Center to know your state’s minimum legal age. Make sure your child knows basic safety rules like not allowing strangers to enter the house and how to call 911. Experts also advise you to role play to make sure your child knows what to do.</r>

Ginger Ann

Aug 11, 2011
I was so glad to see this. My niece lets her 10 year old son stay home with his 7 year old sister. I don't think he's mature enough to take care of both of them. I prepare their breakfast and lunch and put it in the refrigerator. But he is terrified of everything. I've come home before and found the lights off and both of them in the closet because he heard a noise outside. He knows my work number but he didn't call me. Scares me to think of what would happen if there is a real emergency.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Ginger Ann said:
My niece lets her 10 year old son stay home with his 7 year old sister.
If she is in Canada, and the child services found out, your niece could lose her kids. I don't know for other countries, but in Canada the legal age to stay without adult supervision is 12 years old, and I am not even talking about supervising another child.
You might want to tell her this...

jessicams

PF Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2011
Depends on the kid. I was 8/9 and left home alone and was perfectly fine. I know other kids that couldn't be trusted to stay home alone at age 18.
But I don't think I'd allow my girls to be home alone for an extended period of time until middle school.

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
In the news a girl ( I think was nine ) was a shooting ( can't remember the correct word for this sport ), champion. Two illegal, undocumented immigrants came into her house, she ran upstairs for the rifle, and shot ( killed ) both em them in time before they ran away or attacked her.

Think about it, this girl was trained how to use a weapon, and defended herself. I have been left alone at the age of nine.

Back then, when they had the "Stay in school" advertisments. This was when gang culture was extremly commercial ( Howard Stern was joking about this at the time, and normal.

When I did journey outside ( when I was sappose to be in school ) I did ran into those types, and will admit I was lucky that I never ended up in a hospital, or worst. This was when I was highschool

To make the long story short, You child is going meet all kinds of people and relate or not relate to them, period. Just as you did. Good and bad people, with the same intentions, but differnt ways of negotiating.

When I was in second grade I would walk home alone. Crossed a big highway, and that is about it.

When I went to junior high, I had to walk longer, along the highway. This is when I was more explorive in my city, and learned my lesson the hardway. As mentioned before.

When I in highschool, I walked all over the place. Talk to random people, and got to know the layout of the area I was in.

Later on, in my college years I got bored, going outside being obsessed with my work. Right now things have gotten kinda idocracy on me, so I feel out of place walking outside without a purpose.

.................................................................................................

All I have to say, is just make sure your kid follows the path they need to. If they go outside that path it is their own doing, and own actions. Remember people ave their rights, and once they understand those rights, they will do what they believe and know is true, no matter what.

To a kid in late grade school, I appeared like a monster to them. I was a highschool student at this time. I also had the same reaction, at first.
To them I also appear to be fat, when I am very healthy, for my age.

To a young adult in highschool nowadays, I appear invisible, Like I don't even exsist. Due to the way I carry myself, and groom my hair. They are
apart of that brainwashed crowd, that will get pregnant early, and join the military. You know live forever crowd.

However to a small child in grade school, I appear nuteral. This is how all
people should be, but instead becomes like the highschool person, and goes up or down from that point.