What do you do when kids crave for junk food...

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Lot of kids these days crave for pizzas and burgers. What do you do then. Do you give it to them. All these things and colas and candys are very bad for kids health. We need to put them into a habit of eating fruits and freshly prepared healthy food. But how do you inculcate this in a child.

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
It is not easy to turn down their request every time. Especially when they see the other kids eating. And even of we dont buy it for them, how do we make them enjoy healthy food. Thats my main concern.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Then make the "junk" food at home, it gives you control and is much healthier. Pick one night away were dinner is going to be your version of junk and let them at it. The trick is to not make it forbidden. If they know that they can have a treat every now and then, having healthy won't be such a big deal.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I know what you mean. I don't have so much of a problem with my kids eating <I>healthy</I> food as getting them to eat <I>balanced</I> food. I mean, kids will eat whatever you give them (eventually), but there's still room for picky eating. I plan dinners with three components: a protein, a carb, and a vegetable. Of course you can guess what they eat first, and it's not the vegetable! It's usually the carb, then after they pick at it for awhile, the protein. I usually have to entice them to eat the vegetable by withholding the drink refill until they make some progress. I do let them choose the vegetable, which sometimes makes them feel "invested" and other times not. It really depends on how good the other options are. Sometimes the "carb" portion is just putting the meat or fish on rice, so it's down to two choices. Sometimes the vegetable is the carb, like potatoes and yams, and those are always a big hit, but they need green vegetables too. Foods that mix everything together (like pot pie) are definitely easier for sneaking in a balanced meal, but they are inevitably drenched in gravy, so not an ideal everyday meal. If they express a major craving and it's not all the time, I'd probably give them a chance to earn the indulgence after dinner. (But for my kids who can actually fill up on milk, eating before dinner is a no-no.)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
wow, was I the only one who had to look up inculcate? I'll have to use that in words with friends given the chance.

I think it has to be about consistency. there's nothing wrong with the occasional burger or pizza, especially if you get something fresh not factory made. If you get a burger and salad, it's a reasonable meal. Just because you get a burger, doen't mean it HAS to come with fries, you have options and it's great to teach kids trade off.

We've bee guilty of letting out kids binge on too high of carbs (just like their parents) we're working on more balanced meals, for everyone. So, To me it's not about banning a handful of evil foods. It's about making good choices.

nwcrazy

PF Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2011
IMO, it's okay for kids to eat junk foods once in a while. Afterall, childhood is the ONLY time where one can eat junk food and not have the detrimental effects. For example, if adults eat burgers and fries, they have to worry about high cholesterol, calories, and other such negative effects on the body. However, a normally healthy kid doesn't have to worry about it. Childhood is the ONLY time where the metabolism is in overdrive because it takes enormous amounts of energy to physically grow. So a candy or burger, once in a while, is fine.

As for picky eaters- most kids learn to accept more foods as they get older. It just happens.

So don't stress too much.

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I find that with my 5 year old, telling her about all the things that are good for her body and bad for her body is a good way to help her understand why some foods are only allowed occasionally. She knows that she needs different types of food for energy, growing, muscles etc., and that eating junk food will give her body too much of certain types of foods, like fat or sugar. (I also use this as an analogy for things that are good and bad for her brain, like books and TV). Nothing is actually 'bad', but too much of anything is not healthy.
I've used resources from a local children's centre, with games about putting foods into the right category, to help her decide on the healthy and unhealthy choices. By introducing these concepts very early, it doesn't actually stop the cravings, but it does make it easier to establish rules about how often we eat junk food.

I believe that most of the junk food problems with kids are not actually to do with the taste of the food, but more to do with the images and associations created by the marketing. When we do eat at a fast food place, we NEVER get the kids meals with toys. My kids have never complained about it because it's non-negotiable. (Yes, I'm a mean mom, but they get plenty - just not the crappy stuff that breaks within 2 minutes of playing!) I find that taking the cheap plastic toy out of the equation makes the cravings much less!

csdax

PF Enthusiast
May 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
nwcrazy said:
However, a normally healthy kid doesn't have to worry about it. Childhood is the ONLY time where the metabolism is in overdrive because it takes enormous amounts of energy to physically grow. So a candy or burger, once in a while, is fine.
I kind of agree, but those habits are bloody hard to break! In university, I lived on Mars Bars, Coke and Guinness, and I didn't go over 100lbs until I hit 30. :arghh: Once your metabolism changes, if you don't have a healthy attitude about food, you're screwed.

But I agree that once in a while is fine!

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Its good to see so many opinions, seems like Healthy eating is really important part of parenting. I kind of like the idea of making these stuff at home so their craving is fulfilled and it is healthy too.

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
&lt;t&gt;I think limiting the kids’ exposure to commercials and other marketing targeted at them may limit how often they crave for junk Food. We must limit the amount of food and beverage advertising shown on commercial television and other media, as this may lessen children’s nagging for unhealthy items.&lt;/t&gt;

howto

Dec 11, 2012
jack123 said:
Lot of kids these days crave for pizzas and burgers. What do you do then. Do you give it to them. All these things and colas and candys are very bad for kids health. We need to put them into a habit of eating fruits and freshly prepared healthy food. But how do you inculcate this in a child.
Have Junk Food Friday were you can eat pizzas and have sweets. If you children pester you warn them. If they pester you again say wait until Friday. If they pester you again say that they will have to wait until Friday and that if they ask again there will be consequences. If they ask you again find the nearest place to sit down drag them over with you, put them over your knee and strip them to their bare bottom, give them one harsh hard smack with your hand and then let go of them and continue on as if it didn't happen.

LaraWard

Dec 11, 2012
Try and give them sliced fruit if they are snacking, I think junk food is ok in moderation however. We usually have 'junk food' once a week.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
TabascoNatalie said:
Pizzas and burgers are NOT junk food. It is the production and quality of ingredients. Take a real italian pizza ant there is nothing unhealthy about it.
I'd like someone to try to pass off my home made pizzas done in our backyard woodfire oven as unhealthy. A typical one has more serves of veggies in it than most kids eat in an entire day.

Also, I make some killer kidney bean burgers.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
If kids want pizza, let them make a pizza! I make a delicious honey-whole-wheat crust with basil pesto, topped with shredded mozzarella, olives, pineapples, mushrooms, bell peppers and sometimes onions. I put chicken and artichokes on some of the slices, per others' request, but I don't like it that much. When I don't have time to make crust, I use pitas and make individual mini-pizzas. Pizzas are fun for kids because you can set out the different toppings in little bowls and let them sprinkle it on themselves. :)

PandoraSpocks

PF Regular
Dec 22, 2012
jack123 said:
How are pizza and hamburgers junk food? We make them here for dinner quite often. I'm usually a cook everything from scratch kinda gal, and I don't see a problem with either of those meals. Not one bit. While it may take a few hours to make a pizza because of letting the crust rise three times, it's pretty easy otherwise. Burgers are easier because you mix up the meat with what you put in it, make up the patties and let them sit in the fridge for a couple hours, but either way both are good, healthy choices for supper.

You are aware that pizza and hamburgers both are freshly prepared, in the home, many times, right? If you don't know how to do that at home, I'll be glad to tell you.

I make most of our junk food type snacks here too. One good one is either pita or tortilla chips. Simply cut the pita bread, or tortilla in quarters, fry it in a bit of olive oil QUICKLY (less than 10 seconds each side) and drain on paper towels.

The pizza we have, I make from scratch. Crust, sauce, mix pork and spices for sausage, etc. The burgers are made from hamburger meat, bbq sauce, spices, bread crumbs, etc. I usually even make our bread. One of my kids favorite snacks is bread with garlic spread. I make a loaf of bread every day, leave it sliced on the table and wrapped up, then I set two sticks of butter out, roast 4 heads of garlic and mix that with the softened butter. I leave that by the bread. They walk by, pick up a piece and spread it with the butter and walk off with it.

Is it healthy in terms of "from scratch and made at home"? Yes. Is it healthy in terms of "the American Heart Association"? No. But then you would probably be hard pressed to find anything that is healthy in terms of the latter that would appeal to kids.