what do you teach your kids to call their private parts?...

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
It has always been the proper terms for my kids but it did get shortened to
'nina instead of vagina but thats only because Lily couldn't say it. She now says the proper term and Kyla says 'nina but knows what her vagina is.

I wanted the kids to know what their parts were called because of the sex predator story, I heard that too at one point.

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
I never used "peepee" or any kind of baby talk with either of my kids. With Morgan it was a "penis", but the poor kid picked up a lot more vulgar terms from me back when I wasn't so careful with my mouth. Figures the kid is a total potty mouth now, right? lol

With Emma we taught her all the correct terms. She said "vulva" right off the bat.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
We do both. Proper terms of vagina and penis and also girly parts. I'll tell her to take her hadns of her gily parts

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Bubbas pretty little still but we call it his peep. My brothers was his deeder. I really think I'll go with the proper names as I'm not big on baby talk either. It's hard enough to learn how to talk let alone have to learn it twice. I had issue with what my DD mom called everything. Her mom taught he to call her vagina and her breast area her privates. Male privates had the same name. I just felt like that was really misleading to DD. Plus I always worried what if someone touched her how could she accuratly explain what privates were touched/seen. I told her the proper names but I also explain the whole they're your privates because you touch them in private kinda thing.

Claire64

PF Fanatic
Mar 10, 2008
I've always called it by the correct names when I'm telling them what it is, but in public, we say privates.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Correct terms. At the very least 'privates' or 'peepee' something that obviously reffers to it.

DH is a cop and told me that once, before we met, he had a child molestation case, the child was molested for years because she kept saying that this particular person "Keeps touching my cookie" to her teachers, and they never picked up on it until she heard other kids calling it a 'vagina' in the playground.

XOMLE30

PF Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007
Toledo, ohio THe armpit of the world!
musicmom said:
When they were little we called them "peanuts" when they were old enough to speak properly I told them their correct names "vagina" and "penis"
I knew I had to do this because I heard of a court case where the child did not know the correct name of their private parts and it made it hard to convict the predator. That is why I taught them the correct term. They were six when I told them.

I thought we were the only ones!!!!! My three yo ds calls them "peanuts" too, because he had a hard time saying penis. My four yo dd knows that its her vagina.

We are trying to get him to say it correctly - but "peanuts " has kind of sstuck. Even me and his dad call it that now!!!!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Actually there's a song they play on the radio all the time and I know the CD version and they use the word "monkey" for a woman's private part and it's a vulgar term, so they actually edit it out on the radio version!! I wonder why you would teach your kid to call it that...

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
baileyjohanna said:
Hi everyone,

I'm writing an article about what parents teach their kids to call their private parts. I'd really appreciate it if you all could let me know what you decided to teach your kids (as well as why). Thanks so much!

Johanna
my son who is turning three in June calls his penis 'penis' and obviously that is how I call it as well. if there was a need to ever discuss his testicles, that is exactly how I would have called them.

As for my daughter (she is almost 18 months), I just call it privet parts. Not because I have a problem calling vagina 'vagina', but simply because there is much more than that to girls' privet parts ;)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
As for my daughter (she is almost 18 months), I just call it privet parts. Not because I have a problem calling vagina 'vagina', but simply because there is much more than that to girls' privet parts ;)[/quote]

I believe the term "vulva" would be more appropriate describing female genitalia.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
musicmom said:
When they were little we called them "peanuts" when they were old enough to speak properly I told them their correct names "vagina" and "penis"
I knew I had to do this because I heard of a court case where the child did not know the correct name of their private parts and it made it hard to convict the predator. That is why I taught them the correct term. They were six when I told them.

Brilliant!, I will now do the same...Thanks!

I have been wondering the same since my little girl said "why do you have a tail..."

You just solved it for me. Thanks again.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Trina said:
I believe the term "vulva" would be more appropriate describing female genitalia.
Although I feel a little wierded out talking to you's about it...

Why is that?, I do recall the Seinfeld episode where he calls the girl Mulva because the girl said her name rhymes with a female body part (her name was actually Delores ...haha)

But other than that, I have never really heard that term before. Maybe it's the medical term?...to tell you the truth, I like the term Vulva, it seems more comfortable to me for some reason...and with a very curious daughter, I know it's gonna be an issue one day soon.

However, I'm curious that I shoud teach her that as the name as apposed to the other V one or the C one that rhymes with Delores:eek: ....help?

Mark me down as "completely weirded out now"

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Music-dad said:
Although I feel a little wierded out talking to you's about it...

Why is that?, I do recall the Seinfeld episode where he calls the girl Mulva because the girl said her name rhymes with a female body part (her name was actually Delores ...haha)

But other than that, I have never really heard that term before. Maybe it's the medical term?...to tell you the truth, I like the term Vulva, it seems more comfortable to me for some reason...and with a very curious daughter, I know it's gonna be an issue one day soon.

However, I'm curious that I shoud teach her that as the name as apposed to the other V one or the C one that rhymes with Delores:eek: ....help?

Mark me down as "completely weirded out now"
The vagina is the birth canal, so it's on the inside...not actually the parts that are seen or most readily accessible. My daughters knew vulva, labia, clitoris, AND vagina to describe their "girl parts" in that area....there's not just one name that covers it all.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I dont see why this is even an issue. Nobody comes up with a euphamism name for their childs nose. Why the private parts. It seems kinda childish to me