What if your Child said "Im Gay"...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
PennQuaker09 said:
Yes, we do. She's like one of the only women I've ever known that is happy and pregnant. I never see her having a bad day.
That is great! That is how my pregnancy was too. I think that was one of the happiest times in my life - I felt great!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
***jealous*** I wanted to be happy but was just so sick all the time Hopefully hte next one will be better

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Kaytee said:
***jealous*** I wanted to be happy but was just so sick all the time Hopefully hte next one will be better
I did have a bad case of morning sickness for month 2 and 3... all I could eat was cheerios and oranges. But I was still happy. ;)

I bet the next will be better for ya!

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
PennQuaker09 said:
I'd probably do some sort of Tiki dance.
I've missed your comments. I'd probably say to my child, "so....I knew that a long time ago. I love you dear."

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
1dayatatime said:
I've missed your comments. I'd probably say to my child, "so....I knew that a long time ago. I love you dear."
Good point. I agree that most parents that have a close relationship with their children, probably already know. I have a good friend that is waiting on the day her daughter tells her.

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
My son and I have a close relationship, and when he came out to me he did it in the most casual way possible. He just said "Mom, I'm gay" right before leaving for school. As it's been pointed out, it was something I suspected anyway.

I wasn't upset or shocked or angry. In fact, I wasn't really anything. I worried a bit about what it would be like for him at school, but he assures me that times are changing and it's rare for gays at his school to be picked on. Overall, though, it was just another fact about my son. His eyes are hazel. He's tall. He's gay.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I agree with the common line here. What surprises me is that there hasn't been a dissenting opinion. Is it because parents of that mentality aren't generally the type to frequent something like this? Or that a higher number of us are mothers, who are often inclined to be more accepting?

I suspect that my brother is gay - but he'll spend his whole life in the closet for the reasons mention... that he thinks he needs to be Mr Tough Guy and to him, the 2 just don't mesh. That's too bad, because he's spending his life adrift instead of seeking his own happiness.

I am not so sure my son's dad isn't in the closet. When I met him, I thought he was gay at first. It's not just me either. He asked me one day why so many people think he's gay at first... hard to put a finger on though. Oddly enough, he's the type of guy to which I am drawn (although he's made a completely 360 in personality the last few years). Not the "flamboyant" type, but the type where you're not quite sure at first... I think it's a product of the environment that I grew up in. but that's a whole different novel.

Since there does seem to be a genetic link in some instances of homosexuality, I would not be at all surprised if my son were to someday tell me he's gay. At this point, nothing to make me think that, but he's only 3..... I'll admit that I would prefer he were straight because it is difficult to lead an alternative lifestyle, but at the same time, maybe not. Because when you see 2 men who are truly and completely committed, it's pretty great (I'm assuming it's the same with 2 women, but I don't know any lesbian couples). When a gay couple truly commits, they've often been through so much just to reach that point, that there seems to be a strength of committment that you don't see as often in straight relationships. A big part of the reason gay marriage bans piss me off. I'd love to see the stats on that - the number of gay unions that outlast straight marriage. I bet they leave the straights in the dust....

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
Wow theres some pretty good stuff in here. I gotta say I would be beyond dissapointed. I am not a homaphobe, but I consider that an insualt. First of all he'd rilly hafta talk me through why he didnt like girls. Second I would explain that I worked hard to raise him so he could know what it feels like to have his own someday. If I saw my son with another boy I couldnt deal with it. The end. We all know that homosexuality Is politicy and religously In correct. Im not much for politics or religon, but does that make drugs ok? or beastiality? Or what about sex with minors? They love eachother right? Oh and how about suicide!? Theres a woman out there for every man.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Gothdad said:
Wow theres some pretty good stuff in here. I gotta say I would be beyond dissapointed. I am not a homaphobe, but I consider that an insualt. First of all he'd rilly hafta talk me through why he didnt like girls. Second I would explain that I worked hard to raise him so he could know what it feels like to have his own someday. If I saw my son with another boy I couldnt deal with it. The end. We all know that homosexuality Is politicy and religously In correct. Im not much for politics or religon, but does that make drugs ok? or beastiality? Or what about sex with minors? They love eachother right? Oh and how about suicide!? Theres a woman out there for every man.
Okay, I can understand that you would be a disappointed. I imagine any parent with a gay child harbors some sense of disappointment, and they wonder where they went wrong. I get that. However, I don't think you have the right to be insulted. I see that you're only thinking of <I><U>your feelings</U></I>, but his feelings would be paramount. Second, I really think it's highly righteous of you to feel like you deserve an explanation for his being gay. Third, even if he end up being straight, there is no guarantee that he would even want to have kids. You can't raise a child to know what it would feel like to have a kid, they have to make that decision on their own.

Spelling mistakes aside, bestiality, underage sex, and drugs have no relation to homosexuality. To be honest, it really pisses me off that you compare being gay to having sex with animals.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Oh Penn. i get the feeling that this person is yanking your chain on purpose. This was not a serious post

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Penn - Although I understand and truly respect your point and opinions, try (as hard as it is) not to take it personal. Everyone has their opinions and thoughts and we are all given the right to posses such and voice such.
Cheers

Aunt said:
Oh Penn. i get the feeling that this person is yanking your chain on purpose. This was not a serious post
Although an opposing view of many, why does it have to be a bullsh!t post ? I think there are many parents that would have simular thoughts.

Lets look at how much religion is through this forum, and how many people believe that homosexuality is a sin. Look at how many posts are made in this forum that hold a religious notation in them.

Across the USA people are still killing because of race, color, creed, sexuality, and any other reason they can dream up. Blacks are still discriminated against and Id put money on the fact that theres more than one racist in this forum.

Therefore, I dont feel that it warrants calling someone a troll, or slagging their post, just because their opinion is opposed to yours or anyone else's.

This wasnt to be offensive and Im sure that if you go back and see my posts, my opinion on this is quite clear... but I DO find it interesting when one fights regression WITH regression.

:)

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
Im an electrician not an author. Thank you PennQuaker for letting us know there is a fine line between animal sex and gay sex. I didnt mean to insult your field of mastery. Without getting to graphic why dont you explain to me how that is any different. I rilly wouldnt like to see my son with a sheep or a man.. or a sheepman for that matter. also in both situations you are very prone to health issues and infection, Im not a doctor but I would imagine even more so than straight sex. That would be just the icing on the cake. And I apologize for the spelling errors I left my bookbag in the car..

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Lets look at how much religion is through this forum, and how many people believe that homosexuality is a sin. Look at how many posts are made in this forum that hold a religious notation in them.
I would be one of those who believes that homosexual sex is a sin. But, you know what? I commit sins every day, intentionally or unintentionally, so I have no room to stop loving a child of mine just because they are HUMAN, just like me. Knowing that we're all sinners, and that all sins are equal in the eyes of God, why differentiate between the sins?