what is it like?...

artistriley

Nov 24, 2011
I am pregnant now with our second baby. Our son will be almost 2 when the new baby is born. I have a lot of worry about caring for both children and giving equal attention to each baby. Also I just feel like its going to be so chaotic having them both so close in age. Our son isn't old enough to understand why he is getting less attention. I also am still nursing our oldest and I feel like I have to wean now (even though neither of us wants too) otherwise its going to cause problems between the two of them.
Anyway I wonder if any od you out there wants to share their wisdom, advice or stories about what its like having 2 babies

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I've got 8 kids..they are 21, 20, 19, 18, 10, 8, 5 and 2. Trust me when I say you will be fine. There will be a little bit of an adjustment but before you know it you will find your grove and it will become your new normal.

mom2kkkb

Aug 18, 2012
Texas
I remember when I was pregnant with my second daughter, my first daughter was 2. I remember questioning this very thing. I had so much love for my first born, I just didn't know if I could possible love another human being as much as I loved this first born child. My 2nd daughter was born and my worries instantly disapated....i equally love both of them and although hectic at times, you adjust, routines form and it all works out fine....and you look very forward to nap time everyday! haha!

jack123

PF Enthusiast
May 9, 2012
Its all going to be fine. Its just natural for you to get worried, everyone does. But there is no need to panic. You would be surprised to see how naturally your new baby will become a part of each of your family members lives. There will be a bit of balancing you will need to do between both the kids initially, but later it will all be ok.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I could have written the exact same things as mom2many, mom2kkkb, and jack123. Well, I can't say I have had 8 kids, but the dynamics were the same. I think you really do need to make a special point of spending time with the oldest, but I don't think it's particularly difficult. You know, it doesn't need to be one-on-one time. She just needs you to be emotionally available. As long as you can talk to her, show her affection, and respond to her needs in time, then I don't think she will feel displaced by the baby. I was so afraid of my children being jealous every time a new one was born, but it never played out that way. They were excited about the baby, eager to touch, kiss and help with the baby, and secure in their special bonding time with Mom and Dad. I only spent about 10 minutes a day one-on-one with the older ones when a baby was in the house, but that was generally enough. You'll know when they "need" more. :) In my experience, kids don't mind sharing as long as you're there for them.