What is it with editing spammers?...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
damn, seems to be the trend, come on, act like a normal poster, then when nobody's looking go back and edit your posts to include spam links. Whenver I find a spammer now, I run the IP in google and see if it hits as a reported spam source and report it to CG support of IP banning if it is.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Watching "Carney" the broken english, posting to the same threads all the spammers post to, (I wonder if those are linked somewhere, maybe if we cclosed them it might slow some of this down?) and a pakistani IP address...it has all the right fingerprints, just hasn't committed the crime yet.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I hear you, how do you run them in google? I feel like sometimes all I do is get rid of spam and trolls...............

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
First you have to get the IP address, so find a post by the user and in their Profile bar thingie on the left, hover over the blue and green icon (to the right of the online status, reputation and report icons)

Type that IP address into Google. It'll return a bunch of trace pages, and usually most will tell you where the IP address is from, so it's nice to see that a user from NJ has an IP address from NJ, doesn't always work that way because of proxy servers, but it's nice confirmation when it happens. What I look for is any link to a result on a "Project Honey Pot" site. If it tells you that address has been reported for spamming or other unauthorized activity, then I report that IP and User name on the CG Support thread. They'll ban the IP, but not the user. If we see infractions we can go ahead and also ban the user. we had one where they switched IPs after an IP ban, so we kind of have to wait for them to infract beforce user banning.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I knew how to get it, just not how to search it. I just did myself and I come out of a different state but I use satellite...sucky satellite at that.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
mom2many said:
I knew how to get it, just not how to search it. I just did myself and I come out of a different state but I use satellite...sucky satellite at that.
Yeah, it's not really reliable to use as a confirmation tool such as a member who says they're in GA may have an ISP somewhere else. Mine probably shows me in Virgina or kansas while I'm at work. But if someone says they're in the UK and their IP says Pakistan then that's one to watch. Seems like lots of the spam activity is coming out of Pakistan. And then just if you spot any specifically identified by Honey Pot as spammers or other bad activities, we can immediately ask for an IP ban, in which case the user can still post, but not from that IP...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
FYI, I'm watchin "Carney" and "Addisonn." Check out their similarities, and the both post from 119.152, interesting how Addisonn says USA but posts from Pakistan?????

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Watching "Patrick" too. He shows up in the same suspect threads as the other spammers first show up, says he's from Minnesota, but his IPs from Norway, says he didn't let his daughter go to a recent tour appearance in his city, and she hasn't toured since April and had no dates in MN this year...I smell a rat.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Yep, watching him also but so far he hasn't really done anything.

How about the parenting??.org I love his answers but he is promoting his site.