what now?...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I find myself as (I am sure many other special needs parents have) apparently knowing either as much or more than the experts I encounter. So what is happening is that I am spending money and taking time away from work to attend Autism conferences/classes that I get nothing out of or at best could teach my self.

I think this is the place when most special needs parents get disillusioned. I know I sure am. I keep attending these hoping to find some nugget of information that I was unaware of that could be helpful. Only to come away with the feeling of I wasted my money and threw away a round trip at work for nothing.

Soo (And if you a special needs parent I am talking to you) What do I do now? Is this it? I have thrown away about 2 grand in the last two months attending crap and coming away with nothing.

I dont want to be what I think is inevitable. Another pissed off disillusioned parent.

More of a vent than anything

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Yep been there. The fact is there is no simple answer out there because there are no two children that are the same. Special needs or not.

Work with your gut, it is a lot cheaper and will usually steer you in the right direction.

Ted has challenged me beyond all reasoning. I could handle all of the learning disabilities. They weren't fun but at 16/17 I was seeing remarkable changes. I really thought we had got him to a good place.

Then the bi-polar with psychosis happened and everything I thought we had a accomplished went out the window and I am starting all over again.

Somedays it is just to much, someday I wished...yeah I just wished it wasn't this way. I grieve for my son, not him physically but the son I had envisioned him to be. I feel sorry for myself, I feel sorry for him. And you know what it is ok to feel this way.

It is also ok to accept that the so called experts don't have the answers, and that as a parent all you can do is you think is best. WE have intuition for a reason, I followed my intuition a lot more then I followed the experts, and it worked. And I will do the same with the bi-polar. I did my research I have the info, but at the end of the day I know my child better then anyone. He can not be lumped into a "group" no differently then our "normal" children.

PurpleHaze

Banned
Dec 1, 2010
Don't waste your money on seminars. You need to understand now that your child is a waste to society. If you are lucky he will be able to work at a MacDonald's to coffee shop.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Ok, PurpleHaze, your other trolls were rather amusing, but this one crosses the line.

Reported.

Edited to Add: Thank you to whoever removed that post :)