When is school out for summer???...

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
So when is everybody done with the school year this year? And when do you start back up?

Luca is out on Tuesday. The very same day he has a major project due that was assigned last Monday. Hmmm...I don't see the logic behind that one! Anyhow... Then we have family beach day on Wednesday. Hate to say it, but I hope it rains. BAD MOM!

We start back up again right after Labor Day. I can't believe he's going to be in 5th grade!!! Last year at the lower campus. 6th grade is the start of the upper campus.

We go to Michigan to visit family in the summer. I go for 2 weeks, Luca stays the summer. I hate him being away :( But I think it's important that he understands what life is like stateside. Hopefully he will be attending university somewhere up there when he graduates high school. It would be a shock to live here your whole life and never really spend any time in the states and then move there suddenly. I'm looking forward to our MI visit.... I've got island fever right now and I need to get out of here for a bit!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
We've been on summer vacation for a week and a half. We go back the second week of August.

So far, I've helped my sister move and that's about it. We spent about five days packing and sealing grout, etc., before the move, then three days unpacking (she's not finished with that, but I'm done for now.) And this past weekend, I've been a little sick. It always happens at the end of a semester. My immune system finally caves in. A lot of sleep helps, but here I am with insomnia, again.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
DS wasn't in school yet so there's no out date for him, but he starts school this year on September 7th! :) Anyway, hope everybody enjoys their summer.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!! Luca almost got out of school a day early!!! Their last day is WEDNESDAY. Sheesh, I need a break. He totally busted himself too. He was saying to me yesterday, "If the last day of school is Wednesday, I'm still going to get my haircut." I made an appointment for Wednesday at 9am. The hair will have to wait. Beach day is Thursday (hope it rains). I don't know how I got it in my head that today was the last day.

Jeremy... is that typical where you live? July 15th is late in these parts. Do you have more breaks during the year or do you just got to school a lot more than we do?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Everyone breaks up within a week of each other in GB, then we have a week off at the end of October (where we live you get two, nowhere else does this), we get two weeks for Christmas, a week in mid February, two weeks for Easter and a week in May. Then we also have all bank holidays (national holidays) off and any teacher training days.

So most of GB have 39 weeks of school a year where as in South Kesteven we have 38, in South Kesteven we used to get an extra week in the summer as well but this has been stopped so this year we have a week less.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Mine finished last Tuesday and they go back August 22nd (I think). I really do wish the school calendar fit the real world calendar better, it's pretty arbitrary the way it is.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Mine finished 2 weeks ago (May 23 was their last day) and then since she is switching to a private school next year they don't start back until after labor day. So she's getting a super-long summer, over 3 full months!

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
I think if I lived stateside I'd feel differently about summer break. For us, having the longer break is good since a lot of us like to go stateside for a part of the summer break. It's a long trip and after a year of not seeing family there is always so much to do, so many people to see.

I do think the really long break doesn't do the kids much justice. Seems like they spend the first 6 weeks relearning what they forgot over the summer. Two week breaks more frequently throughout the year seems like it would be better... maybe one 4 week break.

Wooo hoo!! TODAY is the last day of school! I guess Luca's teacher asked if anyone wasn't going to family beach day and he said he wasn't and he said "She yelled at me and called me anit-social!!!" He isn't going because he got in trouble....and I think that was a crappy thing for his teacher to say...but oh well. Luca's dad was going to take him, but his mouth got him into trouble. Dad's new thing is not enforcing consequences that I have given, so we will see what happens.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
xox.ilu.xox said:
man, our last day of school is June 28th! you guys get out waaaaaaaaaay early! lol
We get out early, but we go back earlier as well. If I remember correctly, though, you have more student contact days than we do. We have 180 school days, and you have 200, I believe.

John Shields

Jun 16, 2011
My one is in day care and starts Kindergarten in August. It'll be interesting to see him begin at a real school for the first time. :p