when is the right time to start nursery...

mummabear92

PF Regular
Apr 26, 2016
Hi guys,

So my eldest is two and a half and will turn three in October. This means I can put him into nursery and get 15 hours free child care from the government as of January next year. All good right! Except its looking like I will be starting my masters degree in September of this year. I'm not sure of my timetable but I know its going to be completely different to what it is now, and a complete shock to my son! He's used to me being a stay at home mum and now I will be busier than ever. So far I have planned to stagger everything so I start uni in september start work in November and then Isaac will go to nursery in January.

Recently I've been wondering if this will all be too much for him, my mum is Ofsted registered and is going to have my youngest son whilst I'm at uni etc and pick Isaac up from nursery when I cant. I've been thinking that it may be easier for everyone involved if she also has Isaac. Would this be a better option? I think its definitely worth thinking about.

I'm eager for Isaac to make friends and interact with kids his own age, however I finish uni in June 2017 and he could start at a nursery then perhaps instead.

Does anyone have any thoughts or any similar experiences to share and help ne make up my mind!!

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I'm not sure about the childcare situations where you're from, but with my experience, and all the parents desperate for childcare here, we take the first space available to us. Otherwise, our kids are placed at the back of the waiting list for another 1, 2, 3, 4 years.
The younger the child, the easier the transition and quicker they will get used to not always having mom around. It's actually very good for learning social skills and following rules and routines outside of the home.
My daughter has been in and out of daycares all throughout her life, since she was about 2 or 3 months old.
For some parents, it's a necessity to have their kids in daycare so they can work or go to school.
I think there is nothing wrong, in fact, it's a great opportunity as a preparation for kindergarten.
There will be many things that your son will just have to get used to as he grows and he will adjust.
Kids are amazingly resilient and will grow to be that way, if parents remain firm and don't back down at the slightest tear. (Not saying that's what you do, but just an example of what I have witnessed by others.)

mummabear92

PF Regular
Apr 26, 2016
I do agree that he will adjust, I think he will really enjoy himself and it will be a great experience for him! However I think I would be naive to think that it wont come with many changes to his routine such as napping, sleeping at night, illness, eating etc. This is my main concern

As a family we are going to be so busy with all four of us at different places to each other which is hard in itself. I'm scared that adding this into the mix too would just end up being a nightmare and mean that the transition to nursery will not run smoothly and also that I wont be able to be there for him! There will be no contstant, and everyday will be different with him going here there and everywhere.

I'm also worried it will have a detrimental effect on my studies!

Will putting nursery on hold for a further 5 months be that bad for him?

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Your mum is certainly a better and easier option. Nurseries are for children when family is unavailable. Socialization at this age is overrated. Its a concept invented so parents don't feel guilty when institutionalizing very small children.

mummabear92

PF Regular
Apr 26, 2016
Well this is what I've started to think as logistically it would be better if both boys are together in the same place! Just while I have a hectic routine that will not be the same every week.

When we have moved home, and Isaac got his new brother it was a good few weeks to get Isaac back into his routine. In fact when we moved Isaac completely changed for a few months and became so clingy to me and started sleeping really badly. I wouldn't mind this at all if I was staying at home and could help him but I cant do that, and need to concentrate on studying. I'm not sure I can cope with both.

I think I'm coming round to the idea that when I finish uni I will then put him into uni, just to have a slightly easier life. I'm not sure about the whole institutionalisation thing though haha! I think there are pros and cons either way:D

mummabear92

PF Regular
Apr 26, 2016
Yep! Defo going to speak to my mum about jt and ask if she can have him whilst I'm doing uni. As long as his nursery will be okay with it!

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
2.5 yrs old isnlt nursery school (at least here in the USA), but rather day care. And unless you do not trust your mum, then having Isaac stay with her is a better option.

You can build in socialization (always a plus), maybe she can connect with other grands or spend some time at the park?

Nursery school is a good idea, but it requires a level of development for it to succeed, and what you're saying is that you're looking at this not so much with an understanding that he's ready, but that it's more a care taking opportunity. He's really young, and this all sounds more like your needs than his, keep in in the nest a bit longer with mum.

janetdevlin72

Banned
Jul 26, 2016
I agree. It requires a level of development for it to succeed. Well for me, maybe it's good to send your child to a nursery at 3 years old. :)