which one is better for ASD kid, public or private school?...

Mountain9Mom

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
<FONT font="Times New Roman"><SIZE size="125">Of course, I will send my son to special preschool for ASD in our school district. But after that, for elementary or even high school, do you think public school or private school is better for special need kids?</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125"></SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">Some friends told me that private school(suppose it's small, good and experienced in special education) give each kid more attention and individual plans. Considering my son is easy to be a target of bullying. I feel good about this part.</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125"></SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">But some other friends think that public one is better. Their special education service is mandatory by law and generally is better. Also in some one's opinion, if a private school is not specialized in special need students, this type of kids are not welcomed because they are "burden". If it is for special need kids, putting kids in an environment which lacks NT kids will make it even harder for them to adjust to the real society.</SIZE>
<SIZE size="125"></SIZE>
<SIZE size="125">Anyone has experience?</SIZE>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I am kinda "overtired" right now and promised myself not to post when I am that way. Its a lot like being drunk.

Looks like your both right and wrong.

The short version. Ask to audit a class or two and see if it looks like a good fit. Regardless if its public or private.

I will post a longer version later when I am rested.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Ok all better now.

We have had Chloe in the public schools. Because they have to date not balked at any of our requests. We have had a close relationship with all of her teachers and feel have all been part of the same journey together.

There is a Autism specific school within a drive from our location. But because: right or wrong. We were afraid that being exposed to the class would somehow make her "More Autistic" Yep I know sounds kinda dumb now. But that was our perception at the time. We ended up happy with the decision we made. But that decision was made knowing what each had to offer and how we felt they would match to her personality.

She is now being promoted to middle school. And we didnt like what we felt was more of a maintenance program in her current school district. We found a public school in our county that had started an Autism specific program two years ago. Meet with the teachers and principal: Audited the classroom. They in turn met with Chloe's current teachers/aids: And audited her in the classroom. Everyone involved decided that she would be a good fit for that class. We then had to apply for "out of district" enrollment.

This is where things get a little complicated. You have to understand that public schools receive funds "per student" and that the "per student" funds for special needs is significantly higher than "mainstream" students. With her relocation: our school district needs to pay to entire cost associated with her needs including transportation with aids to her location of enrollment. It includes but is not limited to any cost attached to her education.

Reluctant at first. I was able to make clear that I not only know our rights but that I am informed on the processes involved in getting those rights applied. Which would consume both the time and resources of the current district. I believe I was able to get this point across with some subtleties within the text of my correspondence with them. I think if that were not done. They would not have allowed the out of district move.

Again I highly recommend you search and take the wrights law class. Its a one day deal I think it was $300 bucks. And I think its important to have this knowledge before you need it.

While I think all the points I am trying to make are important. I think the most important is visiting the teacher/class and deciding for yourself if its a good fit or not. I personally would not leave that for anyone to decide other than me.

Hope this helps
Bryan

Last edited:

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
One other thing. The state requirement is a "Free And Reasonable Public Education" While "reasonable" is subjective, the law is not. If they cannot provide that for your son. Its like being given a blank check for any school at all. They will be on the hook to pay the entire tab. If it gets to that. Plan on a fight.

ExpatMama721

Jan 20, 2013
Like Bssage said, look at both. It depends entirely on the school system.

My brother has AS and went to public school until he was 10. We didn't realize how badly he was getting bullied until he actually made a friend and that friend said something to my mom. The teachers didn't step in, in fact they blamed HIM for getting bullied. So we switched him to private school, and he now has friends, enjoys school, and has come along way in terms of social skills.

Some private schools, like the one my brother attends, go above and beyond for special needs students. Some, on the other hand, should be facing legal trouble for how poor it is. Same thing is to be said about public schools.

Flowers

PF Regular
Mar 21, 2013
Let me say that a school that is fully integrated will offer your child the best in terms of life after school. This kind of setting is usually offered by public schools.

bigearl67

PF Regular
Dec 4, 2007
sticks, Indiana
<LEFT>
I’m a big fan of public schools. It really depends on the principal however and how they deal with the teachers. I would ask to discuss you child’s needs with the principal and go from there. Just be honest, open and caring, explaining your needs.
My take on bullying: It happens a ton less than it did when I was in school (1980's) and is not the problem is was then. Just my 2 cents. Earl​
</LEFT>