Will you loose your internet?...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
<r>I was surprised to learn that millions of people across the globe could loose their internet to do some malware dubbed “DNSChanger”. In 2007 a group of Estonian’s used this malware to infect millions of computers in over 100 countries, with approximately 500,000 computers infected in the U.S. Some of these computers belong to individuals, businesses and even government agencies. For some computers it had the opposite effect and prevented users’ anti-virus from working properly; thus exposing them to even further malicious software.<br/>
<br/>
Essentially the DNSChanger rerouted request, blasting users’ with web ads. According to the FBI they raised about 14 million dollars in illicit funds. That’s a lot of people scammed out of there hard earned money. So what’s the governments plan? Their plan is to shut down these servers on July 9,2012, when that happens anyone with this malware on their computer will suddenly no longer be able to access the internet. <br/>
<br/>
So what can you do to make sure that your computer is not one of the computers infected by the DNSChanger?<br/>
<br/>
* Check<URL url="</s> DNS Changer Working Group's<e></e></URL> site which was created to solve the malware issue.<br/>
* Then go <URL url="</s>here<e></e></URL> to detect if your computer is infected.<br/>
*If by chance your computer is infected go <URL url="</s>here<e></e></URL> to see how to remove it.<br/>
<br/>
You can also go to the <URL url="</s>FBI’s DNSchanger site<e></e></URL>, type in your server and see if you infected that way. I have already begun checking, and so far we are in the clear but I still have 3 more computers to go. So take a moment out of your day and make sure you are not one of the people who will find themselves without internet come July.</r>

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Solid anti-virus protection is a must. I never trusted those free anti-virus from the internet (nothing good is free.... well, except this forum ! )

I find that paying 90$ per year for Norton security is wayyy worth it ! It protects the 3 computers in our house for that price, and they have free parental control tools too !!

I've never had any problems with them !

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The problem is that this malware knocked some peoples anti-virus off it's course still leaving them susceptible during a certain time frame, but I agree anti-virus is key.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
So is this shut down the servers thing only a US thing? I just cant imagine the Australian government addressing this problem. Theyre too busy working out who used cabcharge vouchers.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I had wondered also, but from my understanding is that the whole DNS (which is what routes service providers) is going to be shut down. It may mainly effect the US but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I had a response. But I really need to stock up on down-loadable adult content right now.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
cybele said:
So is this shut down the servers thing only a US thing? I just cant imagine the Australian government addressing this problem. Theyre too busy working out who used cabcharge vouchers.
It will affect <U>anyone</U> whose DNS settings were changed by the malware. The FBI replaced the bad DNS servers with their own good ones so that people who didnt fix their computer if infected wouldnt be shutdown. They are taking those servers offline in July.

<U>HERE </U>is a good article about it.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
BabyAngel said:
I find that paying 90$ per year for Norton security is wayyy worth it ! It protects the 3 computers in our house for that price, and they have free parental control tools too !!

I've never had any problems with them !
I will have to respectfully disagree with this. As an individual who does computers for a living (currently corporate server systems), I find that the stuff you pay for is really no better than some of the ones you can find for free on the internet. I personally use AVG Anti-Virus (free edition) and have for years. I find that Norton is extremely resource heavy and drastically reduces the performance of your system.

Another key is simply being smart. It doesn't matter what A/V you have...if you surf the internet like a 13 year old boy who just found out about the latest craze in downloading illegal music or heard about where he can look at boobs, then you're likely going to get infected. Be smart.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Yep I agree with dadu

I have virtually no security on my computers and really have very little problem. I do back up so if the is an issue I just choose a restore point prior to the infection.

DW and DS are a completely different story. They surf the web like a couple of drunkin sailers. I am always trying to fix there stuff even though they do have all the security stuff.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Dadu2004 said:
Another key is simply being smart.
Yep. Its like driving the "safest" car. It doesnt matter if you drive it like an idiot.
I just use MSE from microsoft, its free. Net Nanny for the kids computer to prevent any inadvertent events.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Dadu2004 said:
I will have to respectfully disagree with this. As an individual who does computers for a living (currently corporate server systems), I find that the stuff you pay for is really no better than some of the ones you can find for free on the internet. I personally use AVG Anti-Virus (free edition) and have for years. I find that Norton is extremely resource heavy and drastically reduces the performance of your system.

Another key is simply being smart. It doesn't matter what A/V you have...if you surf the internet like a 13 year old boy who just found out about the latest craze in downloading illegal music or heard about where he can look at boobs, then you're likely going to get infected. Be smart.
^^^this, or like a 65 yo grandma (not mentioning any names) who opens every email with the same "OMG i"d better click on this link, something horrible/something exciting/something inspiring/something patriotic is going to happen" carelessness.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
ElliottCarasDad said:
Yep. Its like driving the "safest" car. It doesnt matter if you drive it like an idiot.
I just use MSE from microsoft, its free. Net Nanny for the kids computer to prevent any inadvertent events.
Check your router settings. You may be able to get that for free. I have a Netgear router and can get Parental Controls for free if I want them. Though, admittedly, NetNanny is probably more robust.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
ElliottCarasDad said:
It will affect <U>anyone</U> whose DNS settings were changed by the malware. The FBI replaced the bad DNS servers with their own good ones so that people who didnt fix their computer if infected wouldnt be shutdown. They are taking those servers offline in July.

<U>HERE </U>is a good article about it.
So the FBI are policing the world now?

Sorry, I wont go into that, its just a little irk of mine.

On the off chance our net that stops, well, I guess ill be doing the usual ringing Optus and going "Youre not getting my money"

BabyAngel

PF Fanatic
Feb 6, 2012
Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada
Dadu2004 said:

Let's agree to disagree on this ! ;)

Being an IT professional for 18 years now and having used both, I find that nothing compares to paid Anti-Virus. Yes, there was a time when Symantec was very resource extensive, but with the kinds of computers we have now, it's really un-noticeable. Perhaps you should give it another shot ! ;)

My brother in-laws are like you, they don't want to pay for AV... but guess what, they have to re-setup their computers a couple times a year.. and they are not teenagers, they are over 25 and surf the internet as such. But they receive crap in e-mail like almost everyone !

Anyhow, I certainly don't regret paying that money for real peace of mind! ;)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
If the servers are in Estonia, where on earth does the FBI get the authority to shut it down? Surely, the correct process would be to liaise with Estonian Authorities? I have to agree with cybele - the FBI can't police the whole world.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
cybele said:
So the FBI are policing the world now?
Sorry, I wont go into that, its just a little irk of mine.
On the off chance our net that stops, well, I guess ill be doing the usual ringing Optus and going "Youre not getting my money"
singledad said:
If the servers are in Estonia, where on earth does the FBI get the authority to shut it down? Surely, the correct process would be to liaise with Estonian Authorities? I have to agree with cybele - the FBI can't police the whole world.
Tinfoil hats much? lol

Servers were in Chicago and New York. Estonians were arrested in Estonia by Estonian authorities.
The FBI didnt have to provide proper DNS servers, it did it so a bunch of clueless individuals wouldnt lose their internet. Which they will when they do shut it down this summer.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Im not saying it dosent need to be corrected, just that America is the only country that could get away with this, because if any other country did it, can you imagine the backlash?