Words to live by...

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I always hear adults say things like, "My mother used to say . . . " The things we tell our children at a young age stick with them for the rest of their lives. I'm trying to make sure I say things to my child that I want to impress upon her.

I've been telling her to

Treat others the way she wants them to treat her, even if they don't treat her the way she wants.

Never let anyone make her feel bad about herself.

Be responsible for her own behavior and not worrry about the behavior of others.

It's more important to be nice than smart or beautiful.

It's okay to be different, (but not just for the sake of being different.)

She is loved, no matter what.

Always try to behave so she can look back with pride.

Listen to others.

Respect her elders.

What are some other significant concepts that you live by? (I want to cover all the bases with my girl.)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Oh gosh, I have never put much thought into it. I mean I guess everything you have wrote are things I tell my kids...Ok I know I have but I can't think of anything to add to it.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I tell DS alot.

Choose you friends based on how they treat you and others. Anything else I.E. race, sex, peer group. is just crap to exclude people not to include them.

The best way to make a friend is to say hi.

Nothing is free.

Things/Stuff should be fun.

There is a fine line between being sarcastic and being a jerk.

A fine line between brave and hurt.

There is never a acceptable reason to be disrespectful to your grandparents

Don't do or say anything on the internet. You wouldn't do or say in front of the whole family.

My dad used to say "No mater how big and bad you think you are. There is someone bigger and badder"

Grandma "If you aren't going to do anything, why did you get out of bed?"

Grandpa (took me 35 yrs to figure this out) "Leave your Grandma alone"

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
All good advice!

I always am saying that you don't have to like everyone, and everyone doesn't have to like you, but we must always have respect even if we don't always get it in return. We are all different people and that is a good thing because the world sure would be boring we if were all the same. It took me a long time to figure that one out for myself. Not the respect part :) but the part about not everyone has to like me.