• No...

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • I would consider it...

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

jgomez65

PF Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2008
I just read the news about this 22 yr old woman who is going to auction her virginity in order to pay for college (interesting enought she is expecting to raise 1 million dollars, enought to pay for several php degrees)

So, I have to ask all the women (and men) on this forum: Would you do it? Would you have sex for money (sorry if I offend anyone here with the question, it is not my intention)

In case anyone wants to see her picture, it is in my blog.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's horrible. Her parents must be terribly ashamed. She should be too. I would not do that. Everyone at her school will KNOW how she got there. That's enough to embarass me out of going, so it would be pointless in the end.

Jessie

PF Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008
Would I do what she's doing? Nope.

If my kids were starving and it was the only quick fix to get a few buck to feed them? I don't know. I hope I'm never in the position to find out how low I would sink to take care of my babies.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jessie- That's true, I feel the same way. Who knows how low I would sink for my baby.

rubiksolved

Sep 6, 2008
you never really know what you'd do in the most desperate of situations... can't really say exactly how desperate she is.. but yeah...

who knows.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would never sell my body to pay for school, there are other ways. Seems though in her family it is tradition to sell sex for school money. I would be hiding under a rock some where if these girls were my children. Its one thing for her sister to be quietly doing it though. This young girl has made a spectacle of herself and her family and should be very ashamed of herself. I wonder what she'll do when she has kids and it's time for them to pay for school? "sorry, you'll have to sell yourself like I did if you want an education"

GreatStepMom

Sep 15, 2008
I agree! I have 3 thoughts on the subject:
1) What's surprising to me is that in today's age of technology and google, something like this will unavoidably come up and hurt her in the future - regardless of her degree.
2) Yet another example of the culture where pushing the boundaries is normal. If college girls expose themselves for a string of beads, this is just increasing the ante.
3) Not so long ago in certain cultures, women did sell their virginity - has anyone read 'memoirs of a geisha'? The book is fiction, but many elements are based on historically documented facts.

But regardless of whether this girl will go through with it or not, she did achieve one objective - getting people to talk about it, like we are doing now :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I didn't read it, but I saw the movie. I wish I had read the book, the movie made me cry so hard. That's interesting, I didn't think of that movie, but it's really similar. She didn't want to though, she was pretty much required to do so. It was shameful but at least she wasn't like "Hey, who wants my virginity?"

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Isn't prostitution illegal? How is what shes doing any differerent really then a hooker? Personally I dont really care how she earns her money for college as long as she goes and is happy. It is not my place to judge her on one of the oldest professions dominated by women. If 10min to 1 hour of her time gets her a million and she can live with it, then good for her.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
Me, personally? No. For college there are so many other ways to get money, they just require hard work.

I do understand doing that stuff when times become hard though. I honestly have family members that used to be pretty much hookers. They are Filipina and what we call "buy me a drink" girls. The Philippines is a very poor country and working hard isn't enough so some of them did what they had to do to support the family. You never know a situation like that till you've lived it.