Writer needs insight into young Adult-speak...

Bill_Writer

Feb 23, 2012
Hi...

I'm a newbie and a screenwriter in the Pacific Northwest. I can see there are challenging parenting issues being discussed here, and great insight being shared. It feels a bit awkward to ask a question that seems inconsequential given the "real world" issues here. But...

My question has to do with how young adults speak. I'm writing a young adult character (a 13-year-old boy), and am curious as to the current jargon, slang and expressions he might use. For example. Is something still "cool" or do they use another word? Rad? Sick? etc.?

What are words young teens are using today to express excitement about something? Displeasure about something... Uncertainty about something.

Thanks for any advice and insight.

DadofTeen

Jan 18, 2012
California
"Tight" is the new cool. (That movie was tight!)
"Beast" is the new awesome. (That car is beast!)
"I know, right?" is a term of agreement (Person a - "That movie was tight!" Person b - "I know, right?"...or just "Right?")
Also, they talk in acronym...like IDK or lol...it moved from the screen to their mouth (Person a - "Are you going tomorrow?" Person b's response "IDK" maybe"

Hope this helps.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
my kids are teens yet. Well the boy says he is eleventeen.

But I can tell this is gonna be a fun thread to follow

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Wow, I didnt realise that "bra" made it out of Australia. Unless theres another meaning behind it other than The Bra Boys.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Ahh, the only reference I know with 'bra' is The Bra Boys, theyre a gang from Maroubra and 'bra' refers to "brother from Maroubra" they all have "My Brother's Keeper" tattooed on their chests theyre known mostly for petty vandalism and drug smuggling.