13 year old & a first kiss...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
So here is the deal... My darling man... who normally acts pretty normal... has fell off his rocker. He heard through the grapevine that his baby girl may have kissed a boy at school. I think that a first kiss.. in 8th grade is pretty normal. He is planning a all out attack on the perverted boy who is trying to take his daughter away. Even so much to tell his middle son that if he catches them to knock his head off and drag poor Katherine away. Am I wrong to believe she's normal and this is not the begining of a wayward life.... and can I do anything to get his blood pressure back in the normal range???

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would say it's totally normal for her to have her first kiss now...as for calming dad down, I leave that advice to the guys, LOL

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Leave daddy alone...it will blow over. It's a daddy thing and we need time to deal with it. You have to understand that's his little girl, and he needs time to adjust to the fact that another man is catching her eye.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, it seems pretty normal and its seems like dad's reaction is understandable. Seems like dad's reaction could be just a vent. If he calms down in a reasonable time, fine, If he's still pretty worked up by say, tonight, then maybe he needs a little reminder about perspective (ie when was HIS first kiss, how old was the girl?)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww its totally normal, and I would just continue to remind hubby of that. :)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Oh.. he is totally serious. Too the point that when I tried to remind him of his first kiss... ( he was way younger) he went over the edge a little more. That was "his point" exactly... he knows what the little SOB is after. I will give it a little more time. The only thing I'm thankful for is she hasn't got a clue yet he's losing his mind... we've kept our conversations away from her. NOW... if I can just get him to quit plotting....ummmm

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
well, the fact that he's censored himslef and not blown up in front of her tells me that his anger is more abouthim coping with this than conspiring to end a young male life....I hope DS understands not to follow through on daddy's rant.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I think it is extremely irresponsible to say such violent things around his son, what is he going to do if your son ends up following through, then he could be thrown out of school, end up on ABH charges etc.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
I agree... I am normally very non-violent on things. The boys all know that the wrath they'll get from me is more than they can dole out. I hope he starts coming to grips with the fact she is not 5 soon.

BentMonk

PF Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2008
Louisville, KY
Since I'm having my own issues with my teen daughter growing up rather I'm happy about it or not, I can feel Dad's pain.

That being said, he needs to calm down a bit. If this boy was really pushing your daughter for more than kissing, or had tried to force the issue in any way, then I might see Dad's reaction.

First kisses are special. I'm learning the hard way to keep Cave Dad in check. If any Dad wants his daughter to feel like she can confide in him, then they've got to learn this.

Notice I didn't say it was easy. :D

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Wow, talking to your son liek that was beyond innapropriate.

I think daddy needs to come to terms with the idea that his girl isnt going to be so little anymore.

i'll tell you what, if my husband went off like that, you can be sure as hell that im going to be on his back about that kind of behaviour, girls need support from their fathers, they dont need to feel like theyre fighting them on things that are 100% normal.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Sean is a good man. He just completly lost his marbles over this. The boys are not going to attack...Katherine knows to come to me and find a safe place to talk, and Sean now knows that there are somethings I will never tell him because he obviously can't handle them. :eek: He see's her like he did 10 years ago. I hope will all my heart he learns to accept she is growing up and learns to relax a little.

JohnG

Feb 7, 2010
Bennington, VT
I think 13 is an ok age to have a harmeless first kiss and crush, but thats it. I am sure I will change my tune when it is my daughters,LOL. I find fathers have a hard time, because we know how boys think!! I am sure he is just kidding, however feeling a loss of some of his love from his daughter and having her show more towards the boy. He will get over it, but just ensure your daughter has the talk and doesnt go trying more than that. I always worry about how to handle this, thank god I have a few more years, I hope

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
I can assure you he wasn't kidding. He was very angry. Dagger flew from his eyes. I really thought for a minute we had went back to caveman times. However.. we made it through. I kept my talks with him short, ( to prevent him stroking out), and we've decided that somethings he's better off not knowing. The issue of her being able to swim in the pool, (no matter what time of the month it was), made him physically ill. So.. those girl things that make him sick and feel a little crazy I think are going to be between Kat and me from now on. I'm hoping in time he'll do better. A dozen or so year should do it. :p

JohnG

Feb 7, 2010
Bennington, VT
Well I guess thats a good plan, just hope he doesnt find things out later on and then be more hurt you were keeping things from him.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
thing is, the dad was going to find out sooner or later. dad's don't want to think of their baby girls doing adult things even if the adult thing happens to be only kissing. i'd have suggested keeping the first kiss quiet until dad was doing well enough with handling his baby girl going out with boys. but its too late now so just keep gently reminding him that she is growing up.

StephanySampson

PF Regular
Feb 14, 2010
Caveman sounds like a scary mode of behavior/thought/mood. A first kiss at 13 is perfectly normal and reasonable...I would be more concerned if my kids were uninterested in normal interactions like crushes. Your daughter is following her natural plan of development well. Just make sure that the kissing stays controlled and that she isn't pressured to go further.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
this brings back memories. My dad would casually tell any of my suitors that he was a big man who was not afraid of jail!!!!!!!
I would negotiate some ground rules for friends of the opposite sex that everyone can live with