14 year old daughters claim to be pagan?...

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
Apparently I'm not the only one because even Dadu said in his post: "I can certainly understand why DruidMom would take offense to the comments made." and "If she was being intentionally harmful, I think we would've heard much more harshness." And your thoughts about how I was being does not mean that is how I was being. You want to think I was being confrontational, you can think that. But I KNOW I wasn't.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Will you please just relax? I'm sorry we don't see eye to eye on this, but you're not going to force me to see it your way just by continuously arguing with me.

Hazel Carolina

PF Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2010
Australia
wow... this has got a little out of hand. i never meant this post to turn into an argument... thank you all for your opinions they were very helpful and i have done a bit more research and feel i can more confidently direct them to where to find useful information if they need it... :)

void

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
"Wiccan" and "Pagan" are completely different terms.

Pagan generally means someone who does not follow the semitic religions (Christianity, Islam, and Judaism) and in itself is not a religion at all.

Wicca is an actual religion.

However it is really none of your business or your choice to control the religion of someone. Religion is meant to be a person choice.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
void said:
However <SIZE size="125">it is really none of your business</SIZE> or your choice to control the religion of someone. Religion is meant to be a person choice.

.........They are her 14 yr old daughters..... i happen to think it is her business to get information on what these girls are wanting to get into, pagan, wiccan, whatever... everyone knows that without the right education on what being a pagan/wiccan is all about, it gets a lot of flack. I happen to disagree with you on this. I know it is a persons choice on what religion they want to follow, but it is a mother's right to know what their 14 yr old daughters are getting into..... just IMHO

BrissyMumma

PF Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2010
Brisbane Australia
xox.ilu.xox said:
.........They are her 14 yr old daughters..... i happen to think it is her business to get information on what these girls are wanting to get into, pagan, wiccan, whatever... everyone knows that without the right education on what being a pagan/wiccan is all about, it gets a lot of flack. I happen to disagree with you on this. I know it is a persons choice on what religion they want to follow, but it is a mother's right to know what their 14 yr old daughters are getting into..... just IMHO
I totally agree here.

although yes religion/ belief is personal choice, this mothers daughter is only 14!!!!

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
void said:
However it is really none of your business or your choice to control the religion of someone. Religion is meant to be a person choice.
Would you still have this opinion if your 14 year old daughter got involved with a cult that isolates their members from the world and make them perform all sorts of violent rituals? Or perhaps even believe that you should commit suicide on a specific date?

So, fortunately for the OP, Wicca seems like a relatively harmless religion. But I still believe that a mother has a responsibility to be involved with her 14-year old daughter's decisions, even on religion. What if next week she wants to convert to another, less harmless religion?

void

Banned
Dec 2, 2010
singledad said:
Would you still have this opinion if your 14 year old daughter got involved with a cult that isolates their members from the world and make them perform all sorts of violent rituals? Or perhaps even believe that you should commit suicide on a specific date?

So, fortunately for the OP, Wicca seems like a relatively harmless religion. But I still believe that a mother has a responsibility to be involved with her 14-year old daughter's decisions, even on religion. What if next week she wants to convert to another, less harmless religion?
Ya, it is not like a Christian, Muslim, or Jews ever do violent rituals. (They do).
Another thing you should know is that Christianity (the religion you probably are), started off as a cult.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
void said:
Ya, it is not like a Christian, Muslim, or Jews ever do violent rituals. (They do).
Another thing you should know is that Christianity (the religion you probably are), started off as a cult.
Weak troll, dude. Really weak. In fact, I would award it no more than 4/10. Too obvious, to arbitrary, and too irrelevant. :rolleyes:
You need to be a lot more subtle if you want to draw people in...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
void said:
You are so close to being banned right now. This coming from the genius who thinks that homosexuality can be medically diagnosed. :rolleyes:

Obviously it is up to each individual person what religion they want to be, and no parents should try to decide that for their children, BUT it is ABSOLUTELY their "business" what their children are doing, whether that be their grades at school, what they watch on TV, or what religion they choose to practice.

I don't want to read any more immature bashing of religion or sexual orientation from you, or any more troll-like responses in general, or your profile will be banned, and this is your only warning.

EDIT!!! I discovered that he's the same troll from a bit ago while reading a response from Singledad in another thread, so he's banned lol. What an epic fail on his part. :p

Choppy

PF Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Alberta, Canada
There are lot's of posts in this thread about what the wiccan/pagan religions are or are not as an absolute.

But there's an important point that needs to be made. What's really important for you as a parent to learn is: what does this religion mean to the teenaged girls?

As a parent I would suggest trying to learn what is appealing about it to them. What a religion actually constitutes from a scholarly point of view is far less important that what the children believe they are getting out of it.

Are they looking for answers to questions that you as a parent could be helping them with?

Is this a form of socializing? Are they trying to define themselves by association with a peer group?

What do they hope to gain from practicing this religion?

Are they associating with anyone different now? What do you think of these new people?

By talking with the girls and giving them the opportunity to explain this new aspect of their lives to you, you keep open those all important lines of communication.

Ginseng

Banned
Dec 3, 2010
Toronto, ON
Xero said:
You are so close to being banned right now. This coming from the genius who thinks that homosexuality can be medically diagnosed. :rolleyes:

Obviously it is up to each individual person what religion they want to be, and no parents should try to decide that for their children, BUT it is ABSOLUTELY their "business" what their children are doing, whether that be their grades at school, what they watch on TV, or what religion they choose to practice.

I don't want to read any more immature bashing of religion or sexual orientation from you, or any more troll-like responses in general, or your profile will be banned, and this is your only warning.
I actually think you are not that intelligent. Just a while ago was a Muslim festival Eid Al-Adha. During that time they sacrifice goats. Oh and wasn't it the Christian god who told Abraham to sacrifice his son Issac on a mountain? Also the Jews practise genital mutilation which is far worse then the preceding.

With all respect it seems that you are not smart and you don't like it when you lose an argument or when someone smarter comes along and you lose your authority.

To note about the medical diagnostic of homosexuality and seeing a doctor. I was referring to a psychologist not a physician.

I don't think you seem to realize that you are just a kid your self. You're only 20. You have a lot of learn in this world kid.

throughchanges

Jan 12, 2011
I would urge caution. I don't know anything about it but I know that given the fact that it isn't taught in schools or well published it can be very easy for people to manipulate your daughters into doing things and claiming it is part of being pagan.

DruidMom

PF Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2010
Slinger, WI
throughchanges said:
I would urge caution. I don't know anything about it but I know that given the fact that it isn't taught in schools or well published it can be very easy for people to manipulate your daughters into doing things and claiming it is part of being pagan.
Actually, if you know where to look there are TONS of books out there about Paganism. Usually books written by Pagan Authors (not counting Silver Ravenwolf) are very good at explaining what Paganism is and what isn't. There is no one true definition to what Paganism is, of course, because its such a diverse religion that touches on many different belief systems. And the mother can easily find Pagans online or in her area that I'm sure would be happy to guide her into knowing what it is and, if the mother is comfortable with it, her daughters as well.