14 Year Old Son on Facebook...

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Gee, I'd kinda be interested in hearing what the OP decided. Some very interesting feedback in this thread.

Jordy

PF Fanatic
Apr 12, 2010
Perth, WA
so am i... don't you hate it when someone posts a problem but doesn't stick around to tell you how it panned out

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
JessicaMadison said:
It kind of does sound like it was just a joke.
Oh well, that happens....

But we can still continue this thread bashing Facebook - hahaha

Seriously, FB is a paedophile's dream site. Imagine a place where you can anonimously hack into someone's account, go into their photos and videos page and take them at will.

And now with FB "Places" you can see where they logged in from, and you will even be provided a complimentary MAP.

Want to see how easy it is to hack FB?...."let me google that for you."

Let me google that for you

Wow....only 1,940,000 results pertaining to that search.

Not to mention the umpteen news articles of horror stories, as well I personally know some who have had issues....I myself have had issues, that lead to a 911 call.

Do the math...stop posting your children's photos/videos...do your research as well....and finally, get off facebook.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well, I hear you on that definitely, but I do like facebook and my profile is entirely private. Only my friends (and I only add friends that I KNOW) can see my profile information, pictures, wall, anything. The only thing a stranger can see is my single profile picture and POSSIBLY some basic info, if any (and you can make all of that private too!!!!). I also have a very strong password, and facebook has a surprisingly strong security system.

I know you posted that google search, but you should go a little further to actually click on those links and see if you can find an actual, valid way to "hack" someone's facebook account. Its really not possible unless you trick someone into giving you their password. The whole thought of having your facebook or myspace hacked is complete paranoia, and only possible with a password, in which case its not really hacking, its stupidity.

As for seeing a map that shows exactly where someone is located when posting, I haven't seen that but I believe it. Either way, that doesn't bother me, because the only people that would have access to that are my friends, in which case they already know where I'm located so it really doesn't make a difference. ;)

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Xero said:
Well, I hear you on that definitely, but I do like facebook and my profile is entirely private. Only my friends (and I only add friends that I KNOW) can see my profile information, pictures, wall, anything. The only thing a stranger can see is my single profile picture and POSSIBLY some basic info, if any (and you can make all of that private too!!!!). I also have a very strong password, and facebook has a surprisingly strong security system.

I know you posted that google search, but you should go a little further to actually click on those links and see if you can find an actual, valid way to "hack" someone's facebook account. Its really not possible unless you trick someone into giving you their password. The whole thought of having your facebook or myspace hacked is complete paranoia, and only possible with a password, in which case its not really hacking, its stupidity.

As for seeing a map that shows exactly where someone is located when posting, I haven't seen that but I believe it. Either way, that doesn't bother me, because the only people that would have access to that are my friends, in which case they already know where I'm located so it really doesn't make a difference. ;)
False...Facebook has admitted repeatedly to windows and backdoors and other serious privacy issues....it's all over CBC News right now, and has been for a while....they are one of the worst when it comes to privacy issues, and have also been charged on multiple occasions with privacy violations.

I'll bet you $10 I can hack into your facebook, copy all your pics/videos, spy on your chats, find out your address.......without your even knowing.

Muahahahahaha.

(if I can do it....so can others, just to let ya know.)

And you know me Xero, I do my research....sure some of those links won't help, but there's free software, chat spys etc...that do work very well....perfect example is the McGruff Crime Dog.....free service for parents to spy on kids chats.....and never do they ask you to prove you are their parents....

JessicaMadison

PF Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008
I mean. I let my older two kids have facebook obviously. They've had it for awhile but they know their limits. To never post their address, phone number etc. From what Bailey tells me a lot of people have their number posted on their. I've never had a problem with it. But I did hear that potential employers can look at facebook. Which personally I don't really think is right. I'm sure it can cause problems. I don't doubt that. But as long as you're pretty safe with it and only add friends/family you know then I think that's fine! I really don't want to spy on them. But I do get my cousin who they've added to give me some updates! I guess online bullying could be an issue. But if that happened, I would take care of it! Hahaha :)

I'm sort of interested in that McGruff Crime Dog. What exactly does it do? Just track everything they do online or what?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
JessicaMadison said:
I mean. I let my older two kids have facebook obviously. They've had it for awhile but they know their limits. To never post their address, phone number etc. From what Bailey tells me a lot of people have their number posted on their. I've never had a problem with it. But I did hear that potential employers can look at facebook. Which personally I don't really think is right. I'm sure it can cause problems. I don't doubt that. But as long as you're pretty safe with it and only add friends/family you know then I think that's fine! I really don't want to spy on them. But I do get my cousin who they've added to give me some updates! I guess online bullying could be an issue. But if that happened, I would take care of it! Hahaha :)

I'm sort of interested in that McGruff Crime Dog. What exactly does it do? Just track everything they do online or what?
Well, no need for them to post their address...facebook will do that for free for them, by knowing their IP address....then someone could simply do an address lookup, and get their number. Not really that hard to do...most facebook pages will state the city and town...an IP lookup will tell them even more.

McGruff is really good (when used for the right reasons)

I think it's gomcgruff.com....all the info is there...you can track most of their online activities....I know a few parents that use it (and the kids know this), and act very respectable online because they know mom is watching. This is a free service (upgradable for minimal money) put together by law enforcement, so pretty trustworthy.

If you give anybody the opportunity to spy, 90% will do it.....just look at the success of Tabloids, reality TV, News etc.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I thought those activity spyer type things were installed software only? Why would they make something like that that could be used from anywhere but the computer being spyed on?

I'm soooo not trying to argue lol, but there's no way I'll believe any of this without proof. I don't know everything, so there could be things I don't know about of course, but I just gotta see to believe ya know? lol Oh, and I did see that stuff about facebook and privacy on NBC but it didn't have anything to do with hacking. Facebook was just violating some kind of internet privacy laws, and the problem was fixed directly afterwards (also on NBC).

And as for McGruff SafeGuard, it is definitely a software that you download to YOUR computer, and you can spy on the activity on THAT computer. You can't just download a program that will allow you to spy on any computer you choose, like you can just type in "my neighbor" or "music-dad's real name" and spy on their computer. That kind of thing EXISTS, but its VERY hard to get your hands on and its VERY difficult to use, and its considered to be a hack/virus that most computers should be protected against using Norton or something similar. At best, you MIGHT be able to pay a lot of money to get someone to do it for you, and it would be hard just to find the person since that kind of thing is obviously rather under cover.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mcgruff-safeguard-free-spy-software-download-monitor-kids/[/URL]
(MUST be installed using THEIR computer, by your physical presence)

I know a lot about hacking, I've read about it and talked about it with other people educated with it, and it is not anywhere near as easy or possible as some people think. Not just any old creep has the access or intelligence to use those types of programs. I would completely 100% bet you my next pay check you couldn't come close to hacking my facebook page. o_O lol

And I mean I'm not in any way saying that hacking doesn't exist, or its impossible to hack facebook, I'm just saying that its really hard and it takes a lot of talent and possibly in some cases a bit of stupidity on the behalf of the facebook user. For instance, I have heard that someone could be interested in you, and easily duplicate one of your friend's profiles, and in that case, you add them thinking you know them and then they have access to all your stuff!! Possible, can happen to anyone, but if you're careful enough and you're paying attention it shouldn't happen. Even that doesn't track chats though. I also know of a few hacks that a person could use on their own profile, to change their page and view their own past chat history and other usually unavailable stuff on facebook too. It just doesn't own up to the danger you're talking about, though.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Xero said:
I thought those activity spyer type things were installed software only? Why would they make something like that that could be used from anywhere but the computer being spyed on?

I'm soooo not trying to argue lol, but there's no way I'll believe any of this without proof. I don't know everything, so there could be things I don't know about of course, but I just gotta see to believe ya know? lol Oh, and I did see that stuff about facebook and privacy on NBC but it didn't have anything to do with hacking. Facebook was just violating some kind of internet privacy laws, and the problem was fixed directly afterwards (also on NBC).

And as for McGruff SafeGuard, it is definitely a software that you download to YOUR computer, and you can spy on the activity on THAT computer. You can't just download a program that will allow you to spy on any computer you choose, like you can just type in "my neighbor" or "music-dad's real name" and spy on their computer. That kind of thing EXISTS, but its VERY hard to get your hands on and its VERY difficult to use, and its considered to be a hack/virus that most computers should be protected against using Norton or something similar. At best, you MIGHT be able to pay a lot of money to get someone to do it for you, and it would be hard just to find the person since that kind of thing is obviously rather under cover.

McGruff SafeGuard- Free Spy Software Download to Watch Your Kids Online
(MUST be installed using THEIR computer, by your physical presence)

I know a lot about hacking, I've read about it and talked about it with other people educated with it, and it is not anywhere near as easy or possible as some people think. Not just any old creep has the access or intelligence to use those types of programs. I would completely 100% bet you my next pay check you couldn't come close to hacking my facebook page. o_O lol

And I mean I'm not in any way saying that hacking doesn't exist, or its impossible to hack facebook, I'm just saying that its really hard and it takes a lot of talent and possibly in some cases a bit of stupidity on the behalf of the facebook user. For instance, I have heard that someone could be interested in you, and easily duplicate one of your friend's profiles, and in that case, you add them thinking you know them and then they have access to all your stuff!! Possible, can happen to anyone, but if you're careful enough and you're paying attention it shouldn't happen. Even that doesn't track chats though. I also know of a few hacks that a person could use on their own profile, to change their page and view their own past chat history and other usually unavailable stuff on facebook too. It just doesn't own up to the danger you're talking about, though.
Wow, you sure are trusting in your fellow man Xero....not me.

Yes McGruff needs to be installed on the PC, so that in itself can make it difficult for someone that doesn't know you....but there is software out there...free...that does this remotely, without the PC owner even knowing about it...and trust me, if you're gonna be a hacker, you'd better be good at it....and they are.

Do you think the US Army has more security measures than FB?....I do too...yet they've been hacked.

Now, I certainly won't put myself at risk, breaking the law and hacking your account....though the paycheck offer is tempting....

But it's always the people it happens to that say afterwards "I never thought it would happen to me"

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I have to say I am not worried about FB, there is nothing on mine that perfect strangers can use against me. Walking down the street thousands of people see my kids, going into the back people can see where I bank. Listen to me on the phone and you know my buisness.

As with anything you should be cautious but I just won't live my life in fear of what might, and the chances are small, happen.

If something were to go wrong I will deal with it then, but until then criminals will not dictate what I do and dont do.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't live in fear...I chose a very public life being a musician, so it's not like I'm hard to find...and I have even entrusted this place with pics of us, recordings, vids etc...my issue is just with facebook.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
I'm an IT guy, so I know a little about hacking and stuff, but I still use Facebook, and so does my son.

I teach my kids to be prudent, but it's just like stealing a car: all of the alarms and clubs and stuff aren't designed to STOP a thief, they're designed to make it more difficult and thus encourage them to go elsewhere.

The fact of the matter is, a pedophile isn't getting anything off of Facebook that he can't get from hanging out at the mall on a Friday night, chatting up parents at a high school football game, working at a school or other place with children, or whatever. It's just another "surface" to attack. And, on top of that, if there are X number of pedophiles out there, there are probably only x/10 or x/100 pedophiles who are tech-savvy enough to hack Facebook. I still believe the best protection is educating your children about how to recognize a threat from a stranger.

So, I guess I fall into the category of people who believe that Facebook has some privacy issues, and it's smart to be careful about what information you post, but it isn't the scourge of society either.

Just my two cents though.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Music-dad said:
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't live in fear...I chose a very public life being a musician, so it's not like I'm hard to find...and I have even entrusted this place with pics of us, recordings, vids etc...my issue is just with facebook.

Oh I know, I just kinda feel like sbattisti, Don't get me wrong I am cautious, but without facebook I would have no clue what is going on in most of my families lives.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Music-Dad - I agree that ultimately the surefire way to keep your privacy on the internet PRIVATE, is to keep your business off of it! I can't deny the fool-proofness off that. :) The safest way to be I suppose is off of facebook and whatnot all together. I'd never say there's nothing to worry about. But I just doubt there's as much to worry about as some people might think. What I'm saying is that I guess in all technicality its possible to hack a facebook, but the likelihood of it happening to you, or happening a lot in general, is pretty low. Its that way with a lot of things, like sbattisti and M2M said, we go out into the public world with our kids everyday and its just about the same really. Anyone can follow us home.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Ya, I can agree that facebook has it's good points...however I really never had trouble keeping up with what's going on in friends and family's lives before.

Aside from the privacy issues, I gotta say facebook didn't do it for me, I'm not much of a gamer, so that didn't entice me much....reading some of my friends posting "I'm Bored"...or "I go a hangnail that really hurts"....wasn't stuff I really cared to know....and boy, everybody seems like they want me to see the "saddest video ever"....Ug! - hahaha

I missed 2 wedding this summer because the cheap buggers decided to Facebook Only their invites....well too bad, so sad, I didn't log on in time....ooops :)

I never posted pics there, but others did from my family, which included a ton of K, which I was not very impressed with.

Probably not a huge issue, but our government just finished an investigation regarding the "like" button, seems to be a privacy issue there as well, Facebook plans to fix this, so they say....

Yahoo has the story.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ugh I hear you on the stupid status posts haha, my one friend is SOOO freaking whiny and attention seeking on facebook it makes me want to rip my hair out.

islakermom

Sep 24, 2010
i wouldn't worry too much about the gay thing, I think most guys question their masculinity at some point early in their manhood. just keep your kids safe online, if you follow my link you will find a site that has ways to protect kids of all ages while they are online.***MOD REMOVED SITE LINK***

Chalula

Sep 25, 2010
Yeah, don't worry too much about some gay quiz on facebook...

But at the same time, make sure he is being safe on the internet. Teenagers can get careless.