1st birthday party?...

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
So we are fast approaching Bailey's first birthday. I am not so sure that I want to have a birthday party for her-not because I am lazy or selfish, I am just wondering if it is worth putting all the time, effort and money into it when she has no idea what is going on??? Is this selfish and cruel of me?? I just seem to feel that throwing a big birthday party and inviting tons of people over is just a way of saying "Hey bring my kis some gifts and oh yeah by the way help yourself to some cake" Am I wrong on thinking that? I just think that it seems more worth it the older she gets and can look forward to planning her own party and having fun with her friends as opposed to a bunch of strangers she doesn't know. What did you all do when your babies turned one??? It is not like I am just going to let the day go by unnoticed, just maybe have a celebration with her daddy and I-the way it was the day she was born!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I just had family. Who in the hell said they can take cake??????? They wouldn't be taken cake at my house. lol

I made it simple and took lots of pictures for memories. Trust me, the older they get.......the bigger the parties. Save up.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think it's totally up to you. If you aren't going to enjoy a party don't have one...stay home with hubby and baby and make the night special for the 3 of you. As far as I can see it the 1st birthday is more about mom and dad anyways. We are currently planning Logan's 1st birthday and we are having a big party...a pool party...but it's at the country club my mom runs so we aren't paying a huge amount...this party is really what I want...lol but if you choose not to have one your baby will be no worse off at all and I don't think it's mean or crule in any way

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
We just had one for Jordyn. I rented a hall, did decorations, cake, food and all that jazz. I was NOT looking forward to it last week because I didn't know how many people were coming or if anyone was coming.

I would have spent twice the money I did. She had a fantastic time. She played until she was too tired to crawl. It's a good time to get together with family and hang out. At least it was with us.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
We just did family too. She didn't get a big birthday party until she was in kindergarten; it was just last weekend actually!

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
You're still tired doing Mommy things. Don't overstress yourself by doing what you think everyone else is expecting. Most 1 year olds are overwhelmed and get cranky with lots of people around after more than about an hour, so if you decide to invite people over, don't make it a three hour party.

A smaller event at home with family, right after lunch nap probably makes sense if you are already feeling as though you are not up for it. Later in the day will not be good because of the afternoon crankies. Do yourself a big favor and don't make anything. Just have a cake and some store-bought munchies.

FionnaK

PF Regular
Feb 18, 2008
New York
I had a very low key birthday celebration with both of my kids. We only had very close family (grandma/grandpa). We had a cake, I bought some balloons and put up some colorful decorations. A first birthday party is more for the parents/adults than the child. You should not feel bad about that at all.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I agree with everyone else. If you are not looking forward to it don't do it. If you do not want people to buy gifts, say so in the invitations. But you could always welcome cards. We did have birthday parties for each one of our girls' 1st birthday. I think even though they didn't remember it, they did have fun.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I had birthday parties for all my kids 1st birthdays. It wasn't so much that they knew what was going on, but that it made memories they could look at as they got older. (I have a great pic of Lauren with the cake on her head) I didn't worry about the presents situation much, because it was mainly just my family and maybe 1 or 2 close family friends, who would have bought them a present anyway. I say, if you want to have it, go for it. If not, then don't. :)

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
its not that I don't want to have one for her, I am just not wanting people to think that we are doing it just for the gifts. I know that most 1st parties are more for the parents, I am leaning more and more towards having a small get together with just grandparents and her aunt, and of course mommy and daddy. I don't know guess we will just have to see.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
button611 said:
its not that I don't want to have one for her, I am just not wanting people to think that we are doing it just for the gifts.
I doubt they will. I think with just a small group of friends and family, no one will think that at all. In fact, if they're anything like my family, they may have the present already bought.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I had the same thought when Oliver turned 1. We decided to have a small party with cake and presents. I didn't want Oliver to look back in the photo albums and see that there was no pictures on his 1st birthday. You know?

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Good point-I would hate for Bailey to think that no one did anything for her 1st birthday-guess its time to start the planning!!!!

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
button611 said:
its not that I don't want to have one for her, I am just not wanting people to think that we are doing it just for the gifts. I know that most 1st parties are more for the parents, I am leaning more and more towards having a small get together with just grandparents and her aunt, and of course mommy and daddy. I don't know guess we will just have to see.
I'm actually begging people not to bring gifts for logan...you would think they would happy about it, but no...can't please everyone I guess

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
We also did the small family thing...

But my sis-in-law had major party primarily geared toward adults. They invited all their friends (and the friends' kids) and had a cookout. And cake - they fed all the kids birthday cake in the kitchen...

BUT forgot to take up the sisal rug under the kitchen table which is now permanently stained from the colored frosting.

I think you have to have cake to have the obligatory photos of cake-smeared face and hands. Love those.
Ali

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
First birthdays don't have to be big and blown out. You can have a small one with close friends and family. Just state before hand that you don't want anything fancy.

It's up to you and your family though.

I wasn't there for my daughter's first birthday and feel so horrible because of it. *I was on military orders and couldn't leave.* But my parents, friends and church threw her a small birthday party and I have the pictures.

aliinnc

PF Fanatic
Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh NC
Ali,
Are you an Alison? I am.

And my DH was a Marine for ten years, so I feel your pain about missing the party.
The Other Ali

meandmine

Mar 14, 2008
I think first birthday's are great with just family.

Have you thought about making a time capsule? Gather pictures, receipts, a few decorations and place them in a sturdy box. Have people at the party (and relatives that can't make it) write a note to the child about their relationship, their hopes and dreams for them ... anything. Then seal it all up and give it to them at their 16th birthday. It's fun and will include all the people who would like to be there but can't make it.

http://www.birthdaypartyideas4kids.com

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
I have yet to even begin planning, but the time capsule is a really great idea. It would even be cool to do one every year and then give it to her when she gets engaged some day so her future husband can see what it was like growing up Bailey! Thanks for the good idea, I think its a keeper!

Lyn29

May 9, 2010
I did a big party for my sons 1st birthday. Lots of family, friends, kids, live entertainment the works. I have mixed feelings about it now. It was a great time to get together with family and friends as well as celebrate my son still I felt like I spent so much time hosting I didn't really get to spend the day with my son as I would have liked. He had fun trying to keep up with the other kids so that was great to see. It was a great memory as well. So with that said I'm glad I did it but if I had to do it all over again I might wait til he's older to have the first big party.