2 Year Old Is Mean To His Little Sister...

canadian_dad

Aug 21, 2008
Our 2 year old has become very jealous of his baby sister recently (even though she is almost a year) and has started being very mean to her (knocking her down when she is walking, stealing toys, pushing her etc..) We have tried timeouts and taking favorite toys away but nothing seems to work. Does anybody have any suggestions of things we could try to stop this kind of behavior?
Thanks,

MidwestMom

PF Regular
Aug 21, 2008
Midwest
Well, at two, its hard to reason with them. Have you tried rewarding for positive behavior with his sister? It might make a difference.

Mine were only 18 months apart, and there were times when I felt like a non stop referee. LOL

Freckles

Aug 21, 2008
I dont have children yet, but I agree with MidwestMom. Try rewarding good behavior that involves the sister, and not giving him the attention he wants when he is bad. Keep up with the time outs, but dont give in after a short period- and make them count. A time out with a 2 yr old being sent to his room isn't that bad as there is toys and a bed, etc in there. Instead, perhaps try a time out on a chair facing an empty corner in the room and dont talk to him until he can say sorry to his sister in a nice, calm tone.

canadian_dad

Aug 21, 2008
MidwestMom said:
Mine were only 18 months apart, and there were times when I felt like a non stop referee. LOL
This is exactly how I feel most days as the little one isn't innocent either. She likes to get in there and bug her brother she just hasn't started hitting yet.

I like the idea of a timeout in the corner and the reward for being nice to his sister. Will definitely be telling the wife about these ideas and will start with them tomorrow.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

MidwestMom

PF Regular
Aug 21, 2008
Midwest
LOL when they get older, you can make them sit on the couch and hold hands, nicely. We did ours. Oooooo they hated that. ROFL

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
MidwestMom said:
LOL when they get older, you can make them sit on the couch and hold hands, nicely. We did ours. Oooooo they hated that. ROFL
haha...That's an awesome idea!!! I will totally be using that one in the future :)

MidwestMom

PF Regular
Aug 21, 2008
Midwest
Freckles said:
LOL!! Midwest that is an awesome idea!! Hehehe
fallon said:
haha...That's an awesome idea!!! I will totally be using that one in the future :)
We used this method on several occasions. And if they weren't good while holding hands we told them that they would have to hug instead. <insert evil laugh here> :D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
MidwestMom said:
OMG my mom did that to us! My one sister and I used to fight sooo bad all the time, and it drove my mom crazy. It got to the point where she decided that we were going to sit in the middle of the floor and hold hands with each other, or possibly even hug each other, for a certain amount of time without talking. WE HATED IT, but now we look back on it as hilarious and totally laugh about it. Our mom always had the most creative punishments. When my brother threw a glass of water at the dog's face just to be mean, she filled up a cup of water and threw it in HIS face to see how funny he thought THAT was. He cried and said it wasn't funny. LOL.

Anyway she said sisters are supposed to love each other and if we couldn't be nice then we'd have to do that. haha. Use it, it works.

canadian_dad

Aug 21, 2008
I just talked to my wife and she tried the timeout in a chair in the corner idea and as soon as she turned her back on him to check on our daughter he ran off to his room to play. She said she finally got him to sit there for the 3 minute timeout but had to threaten him with a nap.