2 yr old afraid of the dark - please help...

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Our daughter of 2 and a half years, for the past 3 days, has refused to go to sleep at night. Bed time is between 8 and 9 and she only really goes to sleep at around 10:30 or 11:00.

At first, I thought it was just stubbornness. Now I'm thinking she scared. I actually think it's a bit of both, but let me explain. The other night, after crying for mommy to come sleep with her for the umpteenth time, I asked her what's wrong, why can't she just go to sleep. She said because there's noises in her room and there's monsters. I said a few things to reassure her monsters weren't real and that the noises were something else. We tried it once more - going to sleep that is. On the monitor downstairs, we could hear her wimpering. You could tell she was really trying hard not to cry, which tells me she's not just being stubborn, but eventually she caved and started crying for mommy and daddy. This time, I asked her if it would be OK to leave the door open. She said yes. I said, but you have to go to sleep. She said OK. So we tried that. I was ready to go to bed at that point. As I was laying in bed ready my book, I saw her down the hall walking out of her room. I didn't tell her to return to her bed, I just assumed she was still scared and I was willing to let her sleep in my bed (this is something she often asks: to sleep in mommy and daddy's bed. Before 10:00 we aren't usually in bed so we try to insist she remain in her own bed, and after 10:00, assuming its a matter of stubbornness, we usually allow it only once in a row and only for about 5 minutes). But then while in bed she said she wanted to get up and play with her toys. This was definitely not a matter of being afraid. She just didn't want to go to sleep. I told her no and that she had to close her eyes and try to sleep (to which she complied).

It's really a mix of things. Sometimes she says things that convince me she's afraid (like "my room makes noises") but other times she says things that convince me she just doesn't want to go to bed (like "but I'm awake"). Sometimes I think the excuses (I'm awake, I want one more story, I need a drink of water, etc.) are actually ways of dealing with the fear, but she doesn't know how to articulate her fear or maybe she's not even full conscious that that's her motive. I don't know.

If it were just a matter of stubbornness, I'd want a way to get her to go to sleep without the huge hour to 2 hour long ordeal, but if it's a matter of fear, I wouldn't mind if she slept in our bed all night (though eventually I'd want her to get over her fear).

Right now, I'm definitely leaning towards treating it as a matter of fear, and I'm posting this in the hopes of getting some advice on how to treat childhood (i.e. 2 1/2 yr old) fear of the dark when going to bed.

If this continues, I'm thinking I might do this - tell me what you think: I'll tell her that I'll leave the door open on the condition that she stay in bed and try to sleep. If she leaves her room, I'm going to put her back in bed and close the door, telling her I'm closing it because she got out of bed, and I'll leave it closed for maybe a couple minutes. She'll probably cry and protest, but after I come back in after the two minutes, I'll repeat the deal: I'll leave the door open only if she stays in bed. I'm going to have to have a way of telling if she's still scared. Listening to the monitor, like last night, seems to be a good sign. Listening to her wimpering but not all out balling seemed to be a good sign that she was trying but was still scared. If that's the case, then maybe I'll let her sleep in our bed. If it's before 10:00, I'll try to stay in the room with her (don't know how easy that will be).

Does this sound like a good plan?

And more importantly, how does one handle the fear-of-the-dark problem at bedtime?

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I personally wouldn't try that...you may reinforce the scariness of the dark, using it as a punishment.

Get her a light and a radio...my daughter has Christmas lights strung through her room and she falls asleep to the radio every night. I have found that when she is alone in a dark room with no sounds, the imagination tends to run wild...so distract her with a radio to listen to and brighten up the darkness with some low lighting.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Those are already in place. She listens to lullabies when she goes to bed and she has a night light (which isn't very bright).

Okay, I won't close the door, but maybe I shouldn't try that technique at all then. I don't want her to learn that an open door means she can leave her room. Is there any other way to reinforce staying in bed on the condition that we keep the door open?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Lights can make things look very scary in the dark for young children.

It's hard because a lot of things to ease a fear of the dark mean acknowledging monsters, e.g. using a nice fairy's trick to magic them away.

You need to ensure that she is calm and relaxed when she goes to bed, not over tired or rushed, it would be worth developing a calm routine when she does attempt to sleep in your bed as well. Don't tell her off, just take her back and encourage her to sleep in her nice pretty room, give her a cuddle or tell her a very short story, or do something interactive she can do in bed, like a nursery rhyme where she can do little moves, like itsy witsy spider.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I can't say I blame her, the dark is scary and full of unkowns. If you can't see around you, then all you can do is imagine what is there, and children tend to go a little crazy with it because they can't really rationalize that there obviously is not a hairy monster in that corner or a bad guy under the bed, and there's no light there to prove to them that they are wrong.

My DS is a bit afraid of the dark himself. I personally am not a big fan of pitch black, I have a pretty bright nightlight in my room just because I find it irritating to wake up in the middle of the night and not be able to see anything. Plus I am more comfortable waking up from a disturbing dream if it isn't super dark in my room. I'm only human, hey lol.

I have a fairly bright night light in DS's room along with a mini fish tank that has a light in the hood. His room isn't bright or anything, but you can see around when you're in there. The one thing I think that helps him the most is that I gave him a spiderman flashlight that he can turn on and off and use to look around as he pleases. Its very important to him, and he doesn't go to bed without it. I think its a huge comfort for him. Plus this way he has no reason to complain about being afraid of the dark, if he says anything like that I tell him there's no reason to be scared because he has his flashlight and there is no argument there.

I think the main thing would be to make her own room more comfortable for her to be in. I wouldn't start having her sleep in your bed, that doesn't really solve the problem it just avoids it. Opening and closing the door doesn't seem to help much either. I would get a second or a brighter nightlight, or maybe one of those things that lights up the ceiling with stars that rotates etc. You could also try out the flashlight idea, I can't tell you what wonders it has done for my son. If those things aren't enough, then you could try soft music playing or quiet books on tape for background sounds or just to keep her mind/imagination in a good place.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm probably the last guy to give advice on bedtime because we do some very "wrong" things, we lay with Ds until he falls asleep most nights, and on others we let him fall asleep to tv/dvd...

but that being said, I'd advocate jeremy's approach of developing a strong bedtime routine, it's too late for me it may not be for you...;-)

and I don't think it's real fear, it's an attempt to control her environment and she's selling you on the fear...JMHO

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Xero said:
If those things aren't enough, then you could try soft music playing or quiet books on tape for background sounds or just to keep her mind/imagination in a good place.
Yeah, we do have soft music playing, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I am thinking the same thing about the lights though. She might need a brighter night light. The one she has is barely bright enough to see anything in the room. If I can't get one tonight, I might try just leaving the lights all the way on. I don't know how well she can sleep like that, but I might as well try. But, yeah, that would be temporary and a brighter night light would have to be fast coming.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
At least if its brighter she can't use the dark as an excuse to get out of her room. ;)

IADad - I am not opposed to DS going to bed with a movie on at all! Unfortunately for him though, he will stay up ALL NIGHT watching it no matter WHAT doesn't matter HOW tired he is or HOW late at night it is, he will NOT sleep with a tv on in the room lol. I don't know what it is. So he has a tv in his room, but it does not run at night haha.

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
Well, we got a break last night. My wife got home at around 8 and our daughter hadn't had a nap that day so she was dead tired - fast asleep in fact. So we carried her to bed and that was it for the night.

However, she did wake up early (not surprising). It was 10 to 7 and she started crying. Crying has been her general mechanism for getting out of bed (doesn't mean there's anything wrong). I asked her what's wrong and she said "I'm awake". I told her I'm taking her to mommy and daddy's bed for a bit and she accepted. Then about 15 minutes later I got up with her (I usually get up at 7 anyway). When I left for work, mommy took over.

It wasn't dark in her room at 10 to 7, so I doubt she was scared. This is what makes it hard to tell. She cries either way. She cries under conditions of darkness and of day light. I don't know if she's playing the "strange noises" and "scary monsters" card as an excuse to get out of bed or if it's true.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
seems to me she's playing the "when I cry, mom and dad will do things for me" card...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
At least if its brighter she can't use the dark as an excuse to get out of her room. ;)

IADad - I am not opposed to DS going to bed with a movie on at all! Unfortunately for him though, he will stay up ALL NIGHT watching it no matter WHAT doesn't matter HOW tired he is or HOW late at night it is, he will NOT sleep with a tv on in the room lol. I don't know what it is. So he has a tv in his room, but it does not run at night haha.
DS2 is the same way, but we use it to our advantage, often we can put something shroter on, let him watch it, he gets all snuggled down yet wide awake, but when it's over and we shut it off or the sleep timer shuts it off, he'll go out like you flick a light switch.

I still prefer reading or singing him to sleep, we use TV/video more when we just need him to have some quiet time.

diapersniper

Banned
Apr 27, 2011
Maybe you could try sitting with her in the dark, or with the nightlight on for a few minutes, or reading her a bed time story using the night light. That will get her to associate positive things with the dark.

joshdavis2657

May 1, 2011
It's Tough I don't know what to do when it gets that far. When our 3 year old got into the I'm afraid of the dark routine I just ignored it. I really knew he was faking for attention when he starting saying I want the lights on and it was daytime.

AndresRob

May 3, 2011
I have a 2 1/2 year old who was at once scared of the dark also. I am in the military and pretty much was deployed during those moments of helping her with the dark time troubles when she was in her mid 1 early 2 year old stage. I thought of a corny idea but it seem to work out well for her. I would record my voice with about a week of messages and her mother would play it when it was time for her to go too sleep in her room. I told her hearing dad's voice would keep her safe in the dark. At first she did not adjust to it right away, but as the days grew she knew when it was bed time that her daddy voice would be playing in her room to relax her until she goes to sleep. It's very corny but I figured who said because at the time I was in the middle east I could not be kinda creative.