4 year old fights bedtime...

Lovemybabies

Feb 9, 2016
Hi everyone, my 4 year old recently started fighting going to bed. She's always put up a little bit of a fight, but as long as we ran through her routine (story, drink, bathroom, hugs and kisses) she has been doing alright. For about the last week, she's been WAY worse than she has ever been. If we get her into her room, she won't get in bed. She has a million reasons not to. Her sheets aren't tucked in right, her stuffed animals aren't in the right place, she doesn't like certain toys in her room and wants them taken out etc. Once we get her in bed, she starts with "I want to tell you something.." then tells us the same thing over and over and over again. She keeps it up for as long as we let her. When we finally cut her off, she loses her mind. Screaming hysterically, practically hyperventilating. No matter what way we go around this, every night it goes the same and ends up with my husband and I exhausted and frustrated. Is this behavior normal? How am I supposed to get her over this? Please help.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I was always told to not give in. It will be tough the first few nights, but eventually she'll get over it. But once you give in a little she has you around her little finger.

Lovemybabies

Feb 9, 2016
Thank you. I agree, we try really hard not to give in to her. Especially since with her, if we do it once, it will happen every night without fail. Give her an inch, she'll take a mile. :)

Survivorista

Feb 13, 2016
This is a problem for me too. My 1 year old cries and knocks at our door it breaks my heart she wants to sleep beside me. I tried giving her a bath and reading a book but she doesnt want to sleep and follows me back to my room

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
You might try a night light and some soft music playing in the background. Put in a cd and put it on continuous play, and that my help her to fall asleep and stay asleep. But you have to stop giving in to her. You could also make a chart and put stickers on it for good days and reward her at the end of the week if she has had a good week. This way she has something to see for herself how she is doing and something to work toward. Write down a list of rewards that she can earn if she has a good week such as go get an ice cream, go to the park or whatever you think she would like.

JBowson

Apr 20, 2016
Give her the time, don't force her to go to sleep (cause kids often do the opposite of what they're being told). and hopefully, everything will get back to normal. Few rewards here and there if she's behaving good might help you get to normal sleeping hours faster :)

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
It sucks to go to bed when you're not tired. I still hate it. I feel like screaming hysterically or doing a million other things when I'm expected to go to bed. But as an adult, I've learned to just behave and then sneak out when everyone else falls asleep so I can binge watch Netflix until I'm actually tired.

Now sleeping in during the morning is just fine with me. I have never had a problem with that.