5 yr old boy, can you suggest : How to be himself...

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
How to be himself
Hi All:
I am wondering if you can provide us with some advise on how to deal with child at this age

I have a boy of 5 years old named Chris and a girl just turned 1 , they both have the birthday on the same month two weeks ago, for the last three month,

my boy is home on a break from pre-school going to official area k-garden mom had a crazy idea to save some money by not sending the boy to school before the class starts in Septmber, of course to earn some money, we have to spend some effort, mom's tasks are daunting while dad go to work in the day time, the girl is just learning to walk and still require attentions as new born baby some times and the older brother require we play with him all of the time except when he sees a favorite TV programming or eating desirt

well hope thats not too long of question for you, above are just some backgrounds

so the mom, the girl and the boy manages to stay home all day during the day time (as mom dont drive and dont know her way around too much outside of the house) , dad (me) does not have much patient/energy to play with the boy in the active way as the boy wishes after a day of work
mom figure out an idea, have the boy play with the neiborhood kids in the public back yard after 5pm to around 7pm, its a nice gathering of 4-5 neighborhood chidlren about the same age plus/minus 1-2 years old,

PRO
***more excerise and help to improve his health
***better adaption to environment outside of the house, so he knows it hurts when he purposely slids in the hard concrete surface rather than soft cartpet at home all the time
***more energy spent so he can sleep on time
***improve people and communcation skill and how to play with others

CONS
***the play environment is not always very safe and clean (ie. some times we discovered broken glasses on the gress and one of the kids were sent to ER because of it)
***one of us parent need to watch them in case they do something crazy, and the responsability is not exactly set on which parent, a few parents I never seen them came out and watch before so we some times feel we are assuming the responsability policing the kids traffic since we are out there

in which one of the con we discovered, and is probably also an issue already exist within our boy's mindset:

our boy follows one of the neighbor boy (who is probably a year or two younger, but looks like he plays outside all the time, lets call him "Marty") do things all the time, both good and bad thing, and when there is a some blame to be point to, the neighbor boy would say my boy did it all

for example my boy would shadow that other boy whenever he rolls on the gress, kicking other kids, pull the tree leaves off the tree, throwing rocks, play with dirty things from the ground etc.

when we talk to our boy Chris, tell him to be himself, decide whats right and wrong, and told him what he did wrong today, he would agreed not to follow Marty do things next time we let Chris play outside again but yet every time in the heat of the playing moment our boy would forget what he promise and again and again follow the same path

that led us wondering, have we tell our boy what to do too much ??

I have to confess myself that i say the word "don't" way too much when I talk to my boy in the last year or two, I feel bad to have to pick on his mistakes all the time, but could not help it

his mom does that at times too, and some times our commands conflicts (ie. mom and dad tell him to do or not to do one things and the direction is not always the same)

do you think this is where the problem lies ? from all your experienced parents out there, whats a good direction to help correct our boy while not having to control him too much ? I think our boy is good on theroy but lacking of short-term judgement

also the issue of playing with other kids, how can we filter make sure he pick up the good behavior and filter out the bad ones from other kids ?

thanks
JC

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Personally, I think the fault lies with the parents.

It is our job as parents to set a good examples for our kids, as well as make sure they are being raised in a good environment.

In this case, you are not putting your kid in a controlled environment, because you want to save money. I.E. money is more important than making sure your kid doesn't have bad influences in his life.

The mom also isn't supervising them the whole time because it's too much work? lol...welcome to being a parent! So the parents don't want to put the energy into molding the kid...so now there are 2 reasons why the kid is out on his own with other kids just playing.

I don't know about others, but I wouldn't let my son go ANYWHERE where bad kids are. I get that sometimes kids don't play nice...but I wouldn't let him stay with them very long. At 5 years old, you just can't expect them to behave and know how to do the right thing.

So yeah...parents fault here. They have the power to raise the kid, but because it costs money, or effort, they have elected to just let him run around. lol...and now they are complaining?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
jcck2007 said:
dad (me) does not have much patient/energy to play with the boy in the active way as the boy wishes after a day of work

lol...this is such a horrible statement from a parent.

Honestly...what do you do when you come home from work? Watch TV? Just relax?

Play/read/study with your freaking kid! Why'd you even have kids if you don't want to be a parent??

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the advise, so you saying we are not spend enugh time with they is that simple ??

we will get him out that play environment right away then

its not that we dont want to spend the money for his school, just the school option we have sucks right now, not sure my reputation on this site saying that but we are NOT THAT KIND OF PARENTS that spends no time with our kids, confused for sure but not like that

but all thoese are the side point of this question, my real concern is his future development, we should or should not tell him what to do that much ?

thanks

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
i am definitely not relaxing after got home from work, some times i take my boy to bicycling after work and to the park, just lately he preferred to play with the neighborhood kids, in that case if you guys dont think we should leave with the bad kids, should i just force him to go do things with me ?

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
mom (my wife) is the one watch all the kids most of the time, i was saying other parents are not watch theirs,

my girl just barely crowing so we perferr she play within the house so i am usually the one that stay home with her while they are outside, and believe me my girl requires me to watch her as she is approaching walking age,

spending the money to school was not actually better because there are bad kids in school as well, and NO, WE DONT CARE ABOUT THE MONEY, we are deciding what is the best option, our school choices are limited because my wife dont drive, you think this goes back to that ? well my wife works very hard at home, i dont want to put the blame on her not driving as you know

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Why does there have to be fault? Kids learn by imitation, and that can be good and bad, whether he is learning it from the neigborhood kids or in school. You can't control the other kids at the park or their parents, all you can do is deal with each issue you see arising with your son. Are you saying "no" or "don't" to much probably, but that is what happens when kids get to this age. What needs to be done is if you see a behavior that isn't acceptable to you stop his play and go home, that is the consequence of doing something that goes against what you want him doing.

They are testing boundries, you can not be everywhere all the time, even 5 years old have to take some responsibility for their actions, a "helicopter parent" does there child a diservice by not allowing them to explore and learn, even if what they have done isn't ok.

If you watch every single thing your child does every second of the day, then they don't learn to think amd reason on their own, they will always look for someone to solve their problems.

Once again there is no blame, take what you have to work with and do the best you can.

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
thats exactly i dont want my kids to grow up to be, i was unable to be independent for a long time until i am in the early twenties because my mom would take care alot of my issues, the hard part is to find that good blanace between when to tighen and loose the standards

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
That is the hard part, and no parent will ever get it right 100% of the time, we do our best and pray that in the end we haven't messed it up to much! Decide what behaviour is a no-no, no questions asked, and what can be "worked" with. Say no hitting is one of your big no-no's, then stop everything and go home, do a time out, whatever it is you use as a consequence. But then lets say he does something he probably shouldn't but isn't at the top of your list, have him sit out for 5 minutes, and then send him back. I find if you keep the no-no list short and work on things a few at a time that they handle it better.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I think you should minimize the time your kid plays with "bad" kids, because yes...they do learn by imitation.

This is why one day a kid comes home and uses a cuss word or does something out of character. They learn from their experience...so if they are spending a lot of time with other kids they will act like them.

There are good kids, just like there are brats....so find some good kids for your son to play with, no?

jcck2007

Sep 4, 2007
yes, i just took him out of the play routine for a change yesterday all together, took him bike and scrottering, my son wanted to go back, i said maybe tomorrow for a bit, and maybe tonight we figure something else to do maybe go out for dinner, we ARE minimizing the time , but afarid that kid is going to be assigned to the same class with him in school, we going to see

so how many of you vote for more stricted rules and how many vote for "learned by limitation" ?