6 months is old enough for cheeseburgers, right?...

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008
30-stone mother feeds baby triplets junk food diet... and admits they had first McDonald's at just six months | Mail Online

<SIZE size="150">30-stone mother admits to feeding triplets junk food... and to giving them their first McDonald's at just SIX MONTHS</SIZE>

She made history as the fattest ever mother of triplets, weighing in at 40 stone.

But far from ensuring her babies don't go the same way she did, Leanne Salt is happy to admit feeding them junk food, including fish and chips and McDonald's meals.

Yesterday the 24-year-old - still dangerously overweight at 30 stone - told of her approach to motherhood which doctors say is certain to leave them facing health problems.

'They were six months old when they had their first McDonald's,' she said. 'They had chicken nuggets and chips and loved it.

'They like fish and chips too, but I take the batter off the fish, so I guess that's healthy.'

Miss Salt's immense weight meant the safe delivery of her triplets - daughters Deanna and Daisy, and son Finlee - last August was a major challenge for medics.

It took a 68-strong team and a bill for the NHS of £200,000, including a specially-built operating table for her Caesarean section.

Now back home in Coventry and living on benefits, she says she is too busy to prepare proper meals for her triplets or do much in the way of housework.

Miss Salt, who blames her obesity on a thyroid problem, fell pregnant after seeing her then boyfriend for just four weeks.

They split up halfway through her pregnancy, and she now lives with her mother Jane, 46, and brother Blane, neither of whom is overweight.

The babies each consume around 1,249 calories a day, nearly double the recommended 765 for their 17lb weight at the age of eight months.
:veryconfused:

The house is full of unwashed laundry and piles of toys, and Miss Salt says she and her babies only get dressed and go out once a week to collect her benefits.

But they are seen regularly by a health visitor and have weekly visits from a trained helper from the Government's Sure Start scheme.

Her own mother says she buys in salads, but as she has to go out for work as a carer and is the only one in the house who cooks, they never get eaten.

However Miss Salt - who herself consumes 50 per cent more calories than a woman's recommended daily diet, snacking on cakes, crisps and chocolate - is convinced, bizarrely, that watching what you eat could lead to anorexia.

'I do worry my kids could get picked on if they get fat, but I'd tell them that big is beautiful.'
Thyroid problem. Right.

So, given this:
While the triplets' weight is currently normal for their age, they were born five weeks premature so have had a lot of catching up to do, and doctors say their diet is totally unsuitable.

'Although babies should be weaned from six months onwards, they should be given a balanced diet,' said Dr Pyusha Kapila of St John and St Elizabeth Hospital, London.

'Foods high in salt and fat can lead to diarrhoea, hyperactivity, diabetes and, in extreme cases, fitting and fatal heart attacks.

'These children are at extreme risk of becoming overweight in the near future if their diet continues in this way.'
At what point does Britain's version of CPS start getting involved?

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'm confused if she "works as a carer" and thus is forced to eat poorly (ha!)then how is it that she and the kids only get dressed and go out when it's time to pick up benefits?

She is in such denial about her own situation...(she's concerned about IF her gets get fat...make that WHEN and they probably already are given the horrible diet and apparent lack of exerrcise....I really don't think anorexia is an immediate concern...

Protective Services need to be there yesterday (althought it sounds like maybe they are to a degree. hence the health worker etc...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'm shocked by this mother...also why would they say babies should be weaned by 6 months??? that's kinda young

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
IADad said:
I'm confused if she "works as a carer" and thus is forced to eat poorly (ha!)then how is it that she and the kids only get dressed and go out when it's time to pick up benefits?
The mother of the triplets doesn't work, she lives off of "benefits". She lives with HER mother, and HER mother works as a "carer" or whatever, and she was using that as an excuse as to why she doesn't MAKE them eat healthier, cause she's too busy. But either way, her kids are adults and they know better.

Fallon - I totally agree. I'm just reading this article like wtf??? You know? This lady just doesn't care. She acts like its the only option, to eat poorly. I'm no super eater, but I do my best to eat OK and my son eats way better than I do most of the time because its his health at hand and I make these important decisions for him, you know!! She might as well be making her own kids sick on purpose.

You know what's sad, while I was at work yesterday, this young couple came in with their two kids and I was just BLOWN AWAY by how incredibly overweight, and huge their two year old little girl was. I mean WOW. She couldn't even walk properly. I was so upset. And this couple was not overweight at all, the guy was actually pretty skinny and the lady was just average maybe a little chunky at the worst and there was no apparent reason for this toddler to be so big. I was really upset. She looked so unhealthy. Their little boy was probably six-ish and wasn't overweight, but not skinny either he was just kind of in the middle of that and I'm not sure why there was a difference there.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I had to go look up how much 30 stones was, I had never heard of weight refered to that way. Obviously I could tell it was large by the article but wasn't sure how large.

I personally don't find much wrong with any one thing in and of itself, but put togather it adds up to a very troubling situation. WOW is what comes to mind.

At least thier is some government action, to at least oversee that the kids health so it doesn't get out of control. I don't think CPS is the answer.....yet. It may come to that if she doesn't pull herself togather for her kids though, and hopefully this will draw attention to the situation in her house so that it doesn't get to a really bad point.

Some kids are more prone to be overweight then others, and some could eat the house and still look like rails. My kids vary greatly, my largest eaters are my skinnest kids and my "birds" are the chunkiest. I am not small and dad is "normal", sometimes their genetic make up will determine it.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
I hate it when people use a thyroid condition as an excuse to eat junk. I have a thyroid condition that causes weight gain and I really have to watch my diet, because if I let my weight get out of control then I have more than just my size to deal with, I have a whole other world of bad effects.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Stones is common measure of weight for fighters.

And the health aid is common for everyone in countries with state sponsered health care not just the "basket cases" they are for everyone. They claim that prevention is less expensive than fixing health issues after they become problems.

The kids should be removed and placed in proper care. Maybe that would open the mothers eyes.

IMO

zeitgeist

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2008

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww, those babies are cute! That's one big lady though lol.

Honestly I hope it doesn't cause them any health problems or make them overweight, and I hope she turns her habbits around but I have to admit the BABIES definitely aren't overweight at all. Eli was way chunkier at that age. :eek: