7yr old bathing with her mom regularly...

j-with

Banned
Aug 14, 2008
My ex and i split up when our daughter was 3. She is now 7.
Not my ideal parenting situation but i have learned to adapt as best i can. Her mom and i agree on most things when it comes to nutrition and school work... but there are certain things in her house that i do not agree with. Depending on how severe, i may not even bring the issue up because it will only case a finger pointing session between the mom and I.

However, i can't help but be alarmed at the latest discovery.

As of this summer, it seems that the only time my daughter bathes at her mom's house is in the shower with her 36yr old mom.
She is with her mom 4 days of the week.

I can't help but think that this is unhealthy. at the age of 7, my daughter is much too aware of anatomy and sexuality...and should be learning about privacy and things you do in private. I feel that bathing is one of them.

Maybe if this was a once in a while thing but this is an every night thing...to the point that she doesn't want to bathe at my house because she would rather do it at her mom's... with her mom...

Am i Crazy in thinking this is wrong? I can't help but think this will cause peculiar issues down the road.

If i am not crazy in thinking this, how would i defend my point of view from a professional's point of view?

Thanks.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Part of me cringes, and part of me says there is nothing wrong. Although you are looking at it from a modesty point of view, she will get some modesty, although how much and when is beyond me. My teens have no problem walking in on my while I am changing or taking a shower and having conversations with me. As to sexuality, at her age she isn't seeing it any differently then say an infant would, it is her mom, not the neighbor across the street, then I would have serious issues.

I doubt there will be any issues down the road, children of nudist have normall, happy, healthy lives and are not scarred.

I would explain to your DD that you understand that taking a shower at mommy's is more fun, BUT she still needs to shower when at your house, maybe she doesn't like to be alone, put a radio in the bathroom so she can have company, offer to sit outside the tub while she is in there. There is a reason she enjoys it at moms house more, and the only thing I can come up with is that she wants company.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
You said 'as of this summer' so this is a relatively new thing? If so thats not nessecaerally normal.

If its something that has carried on since she were an infant, then id assume it would be an issue of mummy trying to hold onto her little baby, but if it is a new occurance, then you probably should get to the bottom of it. It is a little strange to start this at age 7.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
http://www.parentingforums.org/f19/recent-influx-trolls-6964.html[/url]