8 kids???????????...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
so i gave birth exactly 7 days ago to my daughter and then my partner turns around to me today and says. 5 more to go? he has brought up the fact before that he would like to have 8 children but i never thought he was serious and i am in no state right now to even consider having another baby at all or for a while at least..

he thinks it's strange that i am not even willing to discuss the idea of 8 children. does it seem strange to anyone here? the physical and mental scars from childbirth are still pretty fresh and i have no plans to revisit them any time soon.....

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Ha , you better get busy.

Kinda goofy putting a number to it. What happens at 8? Win a prize??

I would want to see how he handles the three before it would even be a discussion. I think the rule is. If the man suggest that many kids. He automatically defaults to more of a contribution of care giving.

I think its a little early in <U>our</U> relationship for him to make those kind of assumptions. <U>We</U> dont even know this guy.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
im only 8 days into child number three, lets see if i can raise this one without breaking her before we even talk about more children... i always wanted three children and now here i am with three...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Hahahaha my husband only agreed to 4, we have 8 and he would be more then willing to have number 9...to bad I am not.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
does it seem strange to anyone here?
I only find it strange when couples marry without ever having discussed whether they want children or not. To me it just seems like one of those obvious things you make sure you're on the same page about.

After my first labor, which was long and difficult, I told my husband, "I guess that's going to be our only one, because there's no way I can possibly do that again." He agreed. That was a firm decision for awhile, but there's something about time that makes you forget the horrors of labor. For now, maybe a couple weeks of night feedings will help him fend off the baby fever! And if you're breastfeeding, don't worry. You can still insist he retrieve the baby, change her, and bring her to your bed for feedings, and then return her when she is finished. If he insists on that discussion, he should at least be as tired as you!

Last edited:

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
thanks, i breastfeed exclusively and she sleeps in a bassinet next to my bed but when i wake up to feed at night he usually wakes up too and talks to me but i don't make him because he has to work the next day, i have time off work so it doesn't matter so much if i'm tired, he still needs to go earn money so we can feed the other two children :)

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
akmom: I only find it strange when couples marry without ever having discussed whether they want children or not. To me it just seems like one of those obvious things you make sure you're on the same page about.
Absolutely. Don't get married and start a family without discussing basic stuff like this.

After my first labor, which was long and difficult, I told my husband, "I guess that's going to be our only one, because there's no way I can possibly do that again." He agreed.
A smart man who would like to live always agrees with his wife when she has just given birth, no matter what she says.

Shaun Austin

Banned
Oct 22, 2012
For a long time four was enough for us. I say a long time because our current youngest is 7 and only now are we having another. We always had planned to have them around the same age so that they would grow up together. But that was not meant to be and looking back I am glad. When Cameron came along Callum was going on 8. Having and 8 and 9 year old there made it easier because they were at the age where they wanted to help, and most of the time they helped without causing a hinderence. I maintain that having older kids made it much easier. It made rearing Cam and Maddie much easier, even after the stress of Maddie's birth.