A book for parents of special needs children...

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The review does make it sound like a must read. 700pages???

I had the advantage (blessing) of having a cousin with a severely disabled boy. They lived in the basement of our house for the first couple of years of his life. And I remain close to them.

My cousin (I will call him Mark because that's his name) and his wife were: as I discovered later: My special needs role models. By the time we knew Chloe had some serious issues I was OK. I absolutely knew it would be a struggle. But I also was equally sure there was more than just struggles ahead. My wife did not have this advantage. She quickly went to a dark place that I had a difficult time understanding. People will talk: We will be ridiculed: We should move: ect..

We moved on from this. But that is where we started. I would not change anything about Chloe, for me. She is the light that wakes me in the morning: And the stars that guide me at night. If I were able to change it would only be for her. So that she could have a better life.

It seems that the Author gets this. He sounds like someone I would enjoy meeting.

There is an indescribable payment for services rendered. Not unlike: You have to be a parent, to know what being a parent is like. You really have to be a special needs parent, to understand what that is like. It rewards me in so many ways that there just is no way to communicate them.

I would guess M2M and others here understand. But its almost like I am grateful because what others may consider a burden. I consider an opportunity to be something more. A better me and add value to my life.

I am going to find the audio version. I am kinda behind on a couple of books I am currently listening to (dang angry birds).

Thanks for the link.

Bryan

Flowers

PF Regular
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for sharing, the review sounds great. I am certainly going to recommend it to all those who I know will appreciate it. Mean while I have to lay my hands on it ASAP.