A license for parenting?...

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I think it has been made pretty clear by quite a few parents over the centuries that there shoul probably some kind of parent license. The problem is, the governemnt shouldn't have control over you, especially since it is hard to define good standards for good parenting. Even if someone passes this test, they may still have a not yet discovered alcohol addiction, or may develop one. On the other hand if we do stop just a few really stupid people, but also detain some ok parents would it be worth it?

Just post your thoughts on a so called "parent license", which may well be implemented in the future.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Its a good idea in theory, but it can't work. What would we do steralize woman if they are not good canidates?

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
And what about those who weren't good candidates but matured and would makwe excellent mothers later in life.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
For many years I have semi-joked that no couple should be allowed to get married before the age of 25, and then be required to wait 3 years to have children. This idea would never fly for many obvious reasons, but the concept behind it is that parents be mature and in a stable relationship before having children.

From my perspective of being 30+ I see a lot of people in their 20s not ready to be parents, just like most people perceive most teenagers not ready to be parents. Like everything else in life, some are, and some aren't.

As far as a license and involving tests, just like abortion, it would become a endless political debate that never gets out of committee so to speak. Fundamentalists would want to set the bar so high that only fundamentalists could be parents, and of course extreme liberals would reject the of a license\test completely.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I would have to agree that it would become an endless political debate. The problem I see is most of the time children are taken out of the hands of bad parents after much to much damage will be dealt. I don't think that it could ever be implemented but, nonetheless I find the idea to be intriuging, like what would the test be? I think it would be smart to have a portion about parenting in the sexual health classes they give in middle school through highschool. That might help, just a little, but a little help could save some kids form being mistreated. Also, the governement good force women who are pregnant to have an abortion (of course this wouldn't work because of difference in beliefs, but in this theoretical world it might).

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
unmanaged said:
Also, the governement good force women who are pregnant to have an abortion (of course this wouldn't work because of difference in beliefs, but in this theoretical world it might).
And I expect the South would rise again in Civil War II. :)

mis1022

Jan 24, 2008
Like you all said a license wouldn't work, however, I see nothing wrong with government sponsored parenting classes and maybe some incentives to get parents to go. If the family is getting state funding I do think they should be required to attend some parenting classes. Some people really just don't have the common sense.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree about hte funding and classes, Woman that are on WIC should HAVE to attend a certain amount of breastfeeding education classes in order to get formula. Obviously if they have an older infant already, no point in the class, but most woman get on it when they are pregnant still.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
I wish it would become a law. You could NEVER enforce it but you could make it a statuate that anyone that is to become a parent must attend xx number of hours of parental training. I know for one I wish I would've had it in the beginning and am now, 12 years later, doing this very thing so I would have to say I wish there was a way to push for it.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
I agree about hte funding and classes, Woman that are on WIC should HAVE to attend a certain amount of breastfeeding education classes in order to get formula. Obviously if they have an older infant already, no point in the class, but most woman get on it when they are pregnant still.
What about woman with mulitiples? Have you ever tried to bf two or three babies???
Some woman can not tolerate the pain of bf. I don't think they should be forced.
I think that if they are given WIC or govt assistance and have over two children then they should mandatorily take birth control by injection to stop having kids that will stop the assistance for being abused. The more kids they have the more foodstamps they get.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
I am so AGAINST food stamps. I understand that sometimes we run into problems and we need it and I remember 15 years ago I had it but I grabbed a second job to get off of it but appreciated it when I had it. I think any government assistance needs to stop after 1 year of taking as I've known to many people, and some that still use it, to get away without having to work even though they're more than capable.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Of course a parenting license would not work, but some great points have been brought up - ie classes for government assistance, etc.

The state and government aid programs are in need of some serious reforming. Maybe we should all write something up and become lobbyists, lol.

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
Parenting classes? Lovely idea...I don't think the problem is with particular individuals that have babies...it's WHOM they have babies with. You get these mismatched couples who don't share the same values nor ideas about parenting or what they want to bring to their children and THEN shit hits the fan. With age come "knowledge" and hooking up with the first person who decides to bed you, even though you both party well together and like the same alcohol and or drugs doesn't mean you will be compatible parents. Unfortunately, there are so many people out there who get knocked up for fun. They think it's cool and will make them mature. They live with their parents and get the GED at the age of 25 and aspire to work at fast food joints or stores as sales reps the rest of their life or spend the rest of their lives trying to get child support money off of their several "baby fathers" who are in just as much a dead place as they are. Before becoming parents, they should screen you the same way they screen potential adoptive parents. They should do a full psychological and mental evaluation for each and every future parent. I try to give the benefit of the doubt to everyone I met and assume that they have 2 brain cells to rub together, and call me snobby if you want, but the older I get, the less I believe in today's adults. I thought with age comes some sort of semblance of intelligence, but at work and when I go out, I feel like slapping most of the people. Is it just me or have people started shoving their heads further up their asses or am I just becoming cynical in MY old age?...

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
In theory good idea. In reality it brings us one step closer to having our lives run by the government. Honestly like others have said education is our best weapon. Educate people about parenting.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
What about woman with mulitiples? Have you ever tried to bf two or three babies???
Some woman can not tolerate the pain of bf. I don't think they should be forced.
I think that if they are given WIC or govt assistance and have over two children then they should mandatorily take birth control by injection to stop having kids that will stop the assistance for being abused. The more kids they have the more foodstamps they get.
you are right, I have no clue what it is like to breastfeed multiples, though I have friends that have and do. I'm not even saying that they should not be given formula. BUT 98% of ALL woman, regardles of what they think or have been told by doctors CAN breastfeed. There fore better education needs to be given to woman on how to do it successfully. And breastfeeding does not hurt if done properly. Again it is not about being "forced" its about education, and when 80% of woman attempt breastfeeding, but only 10% are doing it by 9 months old. There are some serious lack of education things out there. They should HAVE to attend a breastfeeding class so they are showed the dangers of formula feeding. THEN if they are unable to do it, they can have their formula

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
Kaytee said:
you are right, I have no clue what it is like to breastfeed multiples, though I have friends that have and do. I'm not even saying that they should not be given formula. BUT 98% of ALL woman, regardles of what they think or have been told by doctors CAN breastfeed. There fore better education needs to be given to woman on how to do it successfully. And breastfeeding does not hurt if done properly. Again it is not about being "forced" its about education, and when 80% of woman attempt breastfeeding, but only 10% are doing it by 9 months old. There are some serious lack of education things out there. They should HAVE to attend a breastfeeding class so they are showed the dangers of formula feeding. THEN if they are unable to do it, they can have their formula
teaching how fragile the baby is until a year old would be very helpful to babies are still growing and if droped could cause serious problems. if people just were more careful and knew what they were doing people would have a lot less problems.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I think the main point is that there are a lot of confused parents who don't know what they are doing and are too embarassed to ask. We should really add parenting to the things to talk about in middle school health classes, it might save many children.

ntbuddy

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
Michigan City, Indiana
unmanaged said:
I think the main point is that there are a lot of confused parents who don't know what they are doing and are too embarassed to ask. We should really add parenting to the things to talk about in middle school health classes, it might save many children.
The only way to make it work in school is if everyone had to attend. I know in my school we could opt out of such classes and being a teenage boy I'm pretty sure I would if at all possible as I would be like I don't even like girls and I especially don't want a kid. The only people I think that would benefit would be the ones that are allready great parents. I would like to see something added to a "drivers license" that requires like 40 hours of classroom training. I think that would be a great start on educating.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I do not know about any other state but in Missouri when you get a divorce with kids you have to go to parenting classes. This seems weird to me. I mean you are already a parent, why would taking this classes make a difference? My brother is going through a divorce and they have 2 girl's (3 and 4). He just had to sign up and pay for these mandatory classes this week. I will definitely have to ask him what he learned.

Also, doesn't it seem strange what the people who can't have children have to go through to adopt a child when the ones who can don't have to do anything? A cousin is going through the adoption process now. She was talking about all the questioning and classes they have had to take. Maybe they could make it a law where when you got pregnant you had to go through a class of some sort.