A life full of drama~ Help for my Jonathan...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I need some help for my 17 year old step son. He is the reason I searched for this forum so I'm going to put his life out here in hopes someone somewhere can give me advice. Here goes~

My darling Sean met his ex-wife when she was pregnant with Jonathan. She had concieved him through a 1 night stand with a stranger. They searched for his blood Dad when he was a baby due to a heart condition Jonathan has and were never able to find him. (They don't even have a name.) He was a spitting image of his Mom and since Sean seen no difference in him and his blood children, he chose not to tell him otherwise. When they divorced, Sean was still his Dad, paid childsupport, fought for his rights for all 3. And the whole while he was doing that, She and her family kept that secret.
Fast Foward about 4 years.. she moved to North Carolina, and while the courts let her keep custody, she became addicted to drugs. Sean was driving 9 hours every weekend to see them. One weekend when he got here he found they had been taken by DSS earlier that week. ( If you are not familar with the state, once they take a child, you have to jump through hoops to get them back, even if your not the one they were taken from) Had Mom told DSS about Sean, he could have had them without a fight, but after they were in the Foster System, it was hell. To speed it up.. it took a year, lots of money, changing a job that keep him traveling, moving to NC, and about 20 classes or evaluations for Sean to convince them he could raise them. The day he won in court, Mom told Jonathan that Sean was not his "real Dad". He was 14.

Mom died of a drug overdose in June, and although the courts had taken her parental rites years ago, He still allowed her to speak or see them under supervision when she could stay clean for the visit. It was not often, maybe once a month for a half of day. They didn't have the day to day contact, but her death devastated them none the less. It was only after her passing we learned of abuse they suffered.. Dog shock collars on their necks, making them stand outside in the cold while she got high, they helped her shoplift, saw her arrested numerous times and the list is just too long and too sad.

Now, the younger children seem happy and embrace our family and life. They do well in school and social settings, but not Jonathan. He's failing school, doesn't care about anything, says that he really doesn't have a family, and we've caught him smoking pot like 5 times. He even got caught with it at school once. He pulled away from his brothers and sisters and says he can't stand them or his Dad. He is bitter and I don't blame him, but how do we help him?

Before she died, we had a glimpse of his happiness. We sat him down and told him that a birth child, you had no choice but to love.. but that he was chosen, he was loved because he was Jonathan... we chose him everyday. He seemed to enjoy telling his brothers and sisters he was special and then we're back to where we started.

3 days before his mother died, she called him on his cell phone and irritated that he was spending time with me and she was high. She told that I was a b*%ch and that she was calling Social Service because she wanted the kids back in foster care. We found Jonathan screaming on the phone at his Mom that he hated her and to leave us alone and to never call him again. He said some pretty mean things other than that but I'll stop there. Having lost my Mom years ago I spent the next few days trying to convince him, #1, he was safe, I work in Law enforcement and Social Service gives me other peoples children, not take mine away, and #2. She was high and doesn't even know what she's saying, and #3. The importance of never regretting the last thing you say to someone. She died before they had a chance to talk again. I know that has to hurt him. I have to be honest and tell you that I lied to him and told him that she called after their fight and she didn't even remember calling that night. He believed me, but still.. I think he feels like he hurt her because of me.

We've done the therapy thing.. he refuses to talk... AT ALL..
I am sorry I was so long winded.. but now that you know our story.. Can anyone tell me anything to try to help Jonathan learn to love himself and his family again?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I'm struggling not to cry after reading that. I had a similar life, but in a much different way. I wont go into detail about that though, its not neccessary. I was put in foster care when I was 13 though, and you remind me so much of the woman who took me in and eventually adopted me, my mom. If Jonathan is anything like me, you will mean sooo much to him someday. He will just have a lot to work through. Its not an easy fix, and its not a quick fix. I suffered for years over nothing but my own thoughts and emotions while I recovered from the life I lived with my biological mom. My mom that adopted me loved me and stayed with me through all of it though, and I gave her a LOT of crap. She went through SO much with me, and yet she always loved me like I was her own child. She still does. That is the most amazing gift you can give a kid, is your love. That's why I'm struggling with tears right now, because I am really touched by someone who has enough love in her heart for a child that isn't hers. It means so, so much. I didn't understand it or appreciate it one bit as a kid, but now as an adult and a mother I can look back and recognize everything that I had missed. My mom was my SAVIOR. I wasn't worth anything to anyone until she loved me. So I hope you know how important you are.

The only advice I can really give is to stick with him. Keep trying to get him help, and continue to remain open and loving and involved with him. Its sad and frustrating, because you can't really make him understand. You can only be there for him and try your best, and he has to see SOMETHING in that. You know? I wish I had better advice. I was the same way with my mom. I didn't think I had a real family, I didn't think I was worth anything to anyone, I didn't care about school because to me nothing mattered. I was always mad at someone and always in a fight with a sibling or my mom, just because I was so angry inside. Now, as time has passed, I wish I could take it all back. The sad part is how long it takes for a kid to realize what they have, and to feel regret for making trouble and not appreciating it. But I CAN look back and say that she never gave up on me, and I truly was always loved and cared for. And I did have a family.

I don't really know you, but you seem like a great person and I hope things get better for you and your family, and especially Jonathan. :)

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Thank you... loving a child is not hard. Thats the easy part. The worry that comes along with it is the hard part. If you were that way and now your fine, it gives me hope~ Thank you again

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
My life story is also very similar in some ways. The addict parent, foster care, abuse, and having someone, in my case my grandmother, finally fight for and win custody. Like your Jonathan, and like Xero, I made life hell for her, and for everyone else who tried to help me. Fear, anger, total lack of self-respect, I don't have to tell you. You know.
I can only echo what Xero said - just love him, even if it feels like he is only throwing your love back in your face, keep on giving it. Remember that 95% of times, anger is just an expression of pain and fear.

Telling him that you chose to love him - that was wonderful. I won't be surprised if under all his anger, he still treasures that thought.

Could it be that his mother's death has finally removed the possibility of her getting clean, and them being a family again, and that is what he is grieving? That he is now forced to accept that he has no parents he can rely on again, only you. And from that, would come the fear of loosing you too. I was 16 when I was forced to accept that my father will never be a father to me again, and I can still remember how much that hurt, in spite of the fact that we had been out of his care for 3 years then, and the fact that I actually despised him. He was still my father.

What advice can I give you? Not as much as I would like to. You can't "fix" him. He has to fight his own deamons.

Love him. Be there for him. Never take his anger personally. Something that helped me tremendously, is having an emotional outlet. My grandma gave me a journal, locked in a little box for which I had the only key. She told me fine, you don't want to talk, you don't have to, write down your thoughts and feelings instead, cause they need to get out. I still keep journals. Not a very manly passtime, I know, but incredibly therapeutic. And then she sent me to art class. Once again, I managed to pour all those things I could not talk about into my drawings. Some of then freaked out the teacher a bit, :rolleyes: but in the end that same teacher became someone I slowly started confiding in, in the guise of explaining what I did. Being good at something, also helped me regain some self-respect

The last thing I want to mention:
The fact that he has been caught smoking pot worries me. Not because pot in itself is a big deal, but because an unhappy person who is taking an illegal drug that makes him feel better, is playing with fire. I'm not saying he is taking it TO feel better, but he will already have discovered that it does. And if he continues this way, one day it may not be enough anymore. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to make him stop, but be aware, watch him.

Lastly - there is hope. Like Xero, I am fine, today. I will be eternally grateful for everything my grandmother has done for me, and just as thankful the she doesn't expect me to make up for all the hurt I caused her - because I never could. She only expects me to love her back, and that I do with everything in me.
I wish I could be of more help after the way you have supported and encouraged me, but this is all I have at the moment. Know that I am thinking of you, and your Jonathan.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Both of you have given me hope. I love knowing that both of you overcome your begining. Sean and I both have worried so hard that he would just hate us forever~

The outlet thing is great idea... How did she get you to do it? Jonathan used to love football. We've begged and pushed for him to play again... (yesterday in fact we talked about sports again) he says, it's pointless. If I could just find 1 thing that he liked to do, one thing that could mean something to him, I'd feel better.

I can not imagine how he feels about his Mom. Her dying the way she did, with no closure for them, being the only biological link he has, and the grief that belongs to death anyway.. I just can not imagine.

And the drugs.. I worry so much about that. My only addiction has been cigarettes. I know pot is not like cocaine or acid or whatever but I guess you nailed it on the head.. what if he discovers it makes him forget or feel better and the addiction that detroyed his childhood, dominates his adulthood.
Again.. thank you both. Knowing there is hope makes me feel better.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mom2all said:
The outlet thing is great idea... How did she get you to do it?
I don't know, really. The journal - she just gave it to me, and never asked me about it again. She never put preasure on me. I knew no one else could ever read what I wrote in there, and so one day I just picked it up to take my anger out on it, and ended up pouring my anger into it...
The art class I didn't have a choice about. The school said I had to participate in something or I get expelled (again). So my grandma remembered that I enjoyed drawing when I was little, and I got dragged there kicking and screaming. Again, in the beginning everything was fueled by anger, and slowly grew from there.
Mom2all said:
And the drugs.. I worry so much about that. My only addiction has been cigarettes. I know pot is not like cocaine or acid or whatever but I guess you nailed it on the head.. what if he discovers it makes him forget or feel better and the addiction that detroyed his childhood, dominates his adulthood.
I don't know what to tell you about this. I wish I could tell you it will be alright - maybe it will be, but there are no quarantees. Whatever happens, just remember that it isn't your fault, and never give up hope. There is always hope.

Come to think about it - that box with the journal always seemed to end up on the top of all the other junk on my desk... She must have been more sly than I thought... :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I just wanted to add that I also used a journal, and just writing in general along with drawing as an outlet and a way to occupy my mind. Those two things have always made me happy. I don't know why, its just a way to get lost in the world inside my head with no one to judge me but myself. If he takes to it, he will appreciate it for sure.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Yeah, my grandma was awesome. :)

I really hope he can bring himself to use it.

Just don't tell him about us. He may not appreciate you discussing him with strangers on the internet!

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Thank you May... although the kids might disagree some days. (My 11 year old got caught cheating and thought I'd be mad he had to walk at recess; instead he found time to reflect his decision in the front yard with a rake :)

And Zero.. 3 of the kids, Jonathan included, have a talant for drawing. He's great at it. I hope that it works. I didn't give it to him yet because I thought after I got it home he might think I'm just saying HE needs an outlet. I think I'll go back and get one for all the kids. Make it seem like its no big deal... but I'm just not sure really how to give it to him. Any ideas?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Mom2all said:
I didn't give it to him yet because I thought after I got it home he might think I'm just saying HE needs an outlet. I think I'll go back and get one for all the kids. Make it seem like its no big deal... but I'm just not sure really how to give it to him. Any ideas?
Its hard for me to give you suggestions here, because I don't know how you've been handling the situation this far. The way my grandmother did it may not be the best solution for you.

She was quite blunt about it. Told me straight that ok, she got that I didn't want to talk about what's bothering me, so write it down instead. I remember her stressing that no one else would ever read what I wrote in there, so I could write whatever I wanted to, or nothing. It was up to me.

Then she never asked me about it again, and never made an attempt to find out what I wrote, or even if I wrote anything. Even later, when she saw me with it, she didn't say anything.

I don't know if this approach would work for you, because I don't know what your relationship with Jonathan is like. Under all the anger and lies we had a weird kind of honesty between us that I don't think I could ever explain. I think I started trusting her long before I realised that I did, and that created a space where she could talk to me openly and honestly. If your relationship is less open, you may need a more subtle approach, but I'm not good with subtle at all so that is where I run out of ideas, unfortunately... Maybe Xero will be able to come up with something better.